List of tarot myths

Bernice

lilaclona said:
A common reaction that I get from people when I tell them I'm interrested in tarot is: "do you want to become a fortune teller?". If that's not a cliché myth then I don't know what is.
Now, that has made me chuckle :grin: !

Bee :)

Scorpio Kitten

When I was growing up my mom's friend told me that people use the tarot to talk to the DEVIL!!!

tarotcardrose

:)

I think that they're getting that one confused with the wish you make when you blow out your birthday candles.

Yes I think so too!

I think they are all confused.

Once I had a guy come to me who was really skeptical, which I didn't know or I wouldn't have scheduled.

He handed me a piece of paper and said, Before you read my cards tell me what is written on the inside of the paper.

I looked and smiled and said OK!

He looked puzzled. Then I opened up the paper and read what it said and handed it to him. His face got all red. He didn't know what to say to me.

And I said "Oh, I'm sorry, my X-ray vision isn't working today"!

Grizabella

Starshower said:
During a social chit-chat with some pals about our interests, I waxed a wee bit enthusiastic about Tarot art, symbolism, history etc. I didn't mention actual readings, since they were sceptical types & I didn't want to invite scathing remarks, pseudo-'scientific' criticisms etc.

One woman seemed to suggest that she wanted a reading - but then back-tracked a few times. Then she 'reminded me' that no-one should EVER actually ASK for a reading (unspecified implied shock-horror!) - and said people should always wait for a reader to offer one. [Hint, hint.]

Has anyone come across this idea?!

I've never heard of that one. I wonder where it came from.

I did agree to "study" with some Jehovah's Witnesses once and after two meetings, in which gradually higher up JW's kept getting called in to "answer my questions", by the third or fourth time they changed the location of the meeting and didn't tell me where it was. :p

le fey

Grizabella said:
I've never heard of that one. I wonder where it came from.

My guess is that another reader she knew made it up after she asked for about 500 readings a month on the same topic, as a way to get her to back off. ;)

photokat

LillyCat said:
And finally:

The Thoth Deck gives you a direct line to Alistair Crowley who will be pleased to help you with your query...

This is a myth?

And I had thought that Uncle Al and I have finally bonded while placing the Thoth on my (according to the Ebay description, "HAUNTED!") Ouija board ....

Starshower

Begads, I think you've got it, le fey! Lol. :grin:

WinterRose

Grizabella said:
I did agree to "study" with some Jehovah's Witnesses once and after two meetings, in which gradually higher up JW's kept getting called in to "answer my questions", by the third or fourth time they changed the location of the meeting and didn't tell me where it was. :p

*collapses in hysterics laughing*

Oh, this has probably already been mentioned a thousand times, but the old myth that Tarot is the work of the devil, and therefore we are all demons... *tries to hide the horns...* darn, they found us out...

nisaba

photokat said:
LillyCat said:
And finally:

The Thoth Deck gives you a direct line to Alistair Crowley who will be pleased to help you with your query...

This is a myth?

And I had thought that Uncle Al and I have finally bonded while placing the Thoth on my (according to the Ebay description, "HAUNTED!") Ouija board ....
<falls about laughing> I have a friend who insists that the deck is dark and gives him the creeps, and the fact that it doesn't for me, proves how un-psychic I am.

My own particular and personal myth is that the creator of the Granny Jones Australian Tarot is my Tarot Gide, and sits behind me when I'm reading, regardless of what deck I'm using.

It's a myth because I can't produce scientific proof.

Gorreti

Yeah like every year I get to blow out candles I wish I was younger, maybe I should stop telling people what I wished for.........