Llewellyn's new card stock

Lisa Myobun

It's so infuriating!! I'm fine with the thin - perfectly adequate for me. Why must I have this clunky stuff???

Sorry, rant over [emoji3]

Boy I'm really mystified on my end. Mine - with the new version of the Tarot of the Hidden Realm - is very nice and buttery, but so thin it bends and chips with each shuffle. This seems even thinner than the old thin stuff (although the texture is nice.) I then got an older version via eBay and it has the thick, glossy cardboardy stuff... which is even worse in my view than the new thin stock, and is similar to Schiffer's "coasters" (& glossier than the cardboard stock in the Animal Totem deck from last Winter). So I'm wondering - how many different cardstocks have they had in the last few years??? ALSO - does anyone have an older ToHR with the older thin stock?

Essjay

Boy I'm really mystified on my end. Mine - with the new version of the Tarot of the Hidden Realm - is very nice and buttery, but so thin it bends and chips with each shuffle. This seems even thinner than the old thin stuff (although the texture is nice.) I then got an older version via eBay and it has the thick, glossy cardboardy stuff... which is even worse in my view than the new thin stock, and is similar to Schiffer's "coasters" (& glossier than the cardboard stock in the Animal Totem deck from last Winter). So I'm wondering - how many different cardstocks have they had in the last few years??? ALSO - does anyone have an older ToHR with the older thin stock?

This is really weird as my Animal Totem is thin stock but not too thin. It's not going to win an award for great stock but it shuffles fine and never chips.

I really would love to know how often they change card stock.

G6

I would start by looking at where the decks in question were printed. This may help and it may not because they may use multiple printers in one country.

Where were your Llewellyn decks in question printed?

Mine: New Celtic Dragon Tarot printed in USA - BAD BAD BAD copy paper thin.

Essjay

Okay, I checked and they're all printed in China so that doesn't seem to make a difference!

Winterchild

My Green Witch arrived and it was the thick, cardboard stock and not the thin one I was hoping for. The shrink wrap was tight so it's warped and as yet not come out. The cards are not flat to the table in a spread. I've written to Llewelyn to explain how I feel. I'm not expecting a reply but simply to let them know what I've experienced.

It's a shame because I've been loving their output recently, just not the stock they present us with.

There are so many kinds of Llewellyn cardstock out at the moment! My Green Witch original was lovely, not really thin but very shuffalable... (is that a word?!!) My friends was thick like the Animal Totem and her Everyday Witch was a different ind of thick cardboardy again but not as thick as the Animal Totem and very warped by the shrink wrap...

I think they must be experiementing with several different kinds..!

Essjay

There are so many kinds of Llewellyn cardstock out at the moment! My Green Witch original was lovely, not really thin but very shuffalable... (is that a word?!!) My friends was thick like the Animal Totem and her Everyday Witch was a different ind of thick cardboardy again but not as thick as the Animal Totem and very warped by the shrink wrap...

I think they must be experiementing with several different kinds..!

Oh my word - this casts more light on the whole thing. It looks as if there are three different types in circulation at the moment.

kaesrel

Yep, Shadowscapes, NG. Although I did a purple edge job on mine that looks hawt. The Shadowscapes has that cardboard variety. The real straw that broke the camel's back for me was a Celtic Dragon Tarot swap. Brand new/recently printed Celtic Tarot Dragon deck and book set. Thinnest, cheapest, worst cardstock ever. So, so, so very bad... 👎🏻😡

Not the Celtic Dragon!! I have a deck from about a dozen years ago and haven't gotten around to getting myself a back up. I'm so upset I didn't act sooner. :(

G6

Not the Celtic Dragon!! I have a deck from about a dozen years ago and haven't gotten around to getting myself a back up. I'm so upset I didn't act sooner. :(

There's always eBay... 😊

G6

Okay, I have a Faery Wicca Tarot from 2003, which isn't as great as the Victoria Regina, but still WAY BETTER cardstock/printing than that recent Celtic Dragon turkey I traded away.

I just pulled out my Nigel Jackson Tarot. I have no date or printing info because the card box/deck is from a set that probably included it elsewhere. It's early 2000's Llewellyn though.

Anyway, my conclusion is that the early 2000's was a decent benchmark for quality for Llewellyn.

I would add LoScar also needs to return to that time as far as card quality or print more "premium" editions if they have that quality. Presently, I have no experience with LoScar's premium editions, but the recent Ludy Lescot and even their Lo Scarabeo Tarot are noticeably inferior to my 1998 Secret Tarot.

Essjay

I just pulled out my Nigel Jackson Tarot. I have no date or printing info because the card box/deck is from a set that probably included it elsewhere. It's early 2000's Llewellyn though.

Anyway, my conclusion is that the early 2000's was a decent benchmark for quality for Llewellyn.

I would add LoScar also needs to return to that time as far as card quality or print more "premium" editions if they have that quality. Presently, I have no experience with LoScar's premium editions, but the recent Ludy Lescot and even their Lo Scarabeo Tarot are noticeably inferior to my 1998 Secret Tarot.

I think they're just distributors for the Ludy, Secret and Lo Scarabeo? As far as I know they don't print or produce them?