Lo Scarabeo decks

gregory

Lillie said:
One day I'll draw a deck and use a language no one knows, not even me.
This I have to see. :D

But I want it anyway. Please do. I love your stuff !

Lillie

Massively hampered by my inability to draw, of course....

But one day...

And no frogs on it.
None.

Well, maybe one or two.

Grizabella

Lillie said:
It seems to me to be a weird idea that tarot decks should all be titled in English and English only.

Why?

I agree. I never mind the multilingual titles on LS decks. I figure everyone should have a chance to have a language they're comfortable with on a deck, you know?

iceclone

I think it's really nice to see the other language for the card title... =D

Steeplejack

I've always had the sense with LS that a lot of thought has gone into blending the multi-lingual titles with the artwork so there's a certain aesthetic balance. But the results vary from deck to deck.

I like the borders for the Dark Grimoire and don't mind at all the ones on the Universal Fantasy, for instance. But the borders for the Dante are too busy and I felt a bit disoriented by the words running down the left side of the Vacchetta. Still, I'm not so distracted I can't enjoy the artwork and read the cards.

The only time I thought there was no way I could enjoy an LS deck because of the multi-lingual titles was when I saw scans of the new LS Waite-Smith deck. As another ATer said (sorry, can't recall the name just now), the images look caged.
This one's kind of an exception I guess, but at least now I have some idea what people mean when they say they absolutely can't stand the borders.

nisaba

Lillie said:
And no frogs on it.
None.

Well, maybe one or two.
They'll give the cats from my non-collection of cat decks something to chase up and down the yard.

nisaba

Grizabella said:
I agree. I never mind the multilingual titles on LS decks. I figure everyone should have a chance to have a language they're comfortable with on a deck, you know?
I go one step further than that - one of the big reasons I'm in love with the Kissatarot is that it doesn't just have titles in Finnish, but also keywords on the Minors as well. Finnish everywhere. And being an English-speaker with a (very poor) familiarity with Romance languages, I can kinda-sorta make sense of foreign titles in any of the languages that LS use in their borders - but a very few languages, like Russian, Greek and now Finnish, not being based on the same root-words, are actually and really foreign.

It makes me quite unreasonably excited to see an image without a familiar name but with letters that make no sense whatever to me: the potentialities in a completely unknown word, the charge of energy, is quite different to the feeling I'd get from, say, Italian words. I don't speak Italian, but I've seen plenty of Italian Tarot titles and even if I hadn't, think about it: the word for "Chariot" reminds me of "car" and the word for "Lovers" reminds me of "amorous", so it's not a strange language at all. Whereas, Greek, Finnish, Russian, they are all totally foreign words, and I look at these letters that make no sense at all. Even better when they are in alphabets that I'm not familiar with, I just thrill at the possibilities.

Hemera

nisaba said:
I go one step further than that - one of the big reasons I'm in love with the Kissatarot is that it doesn't just have titles in Finnish, but also keywords on the Minors as well. Finnish everywhere. And being an English-speaker with a (very poor) familiarity with Romance languages, I can kinda-sorta make sense of foreign titles in any of the languages that LS use in their borders - but a very few languages, like Russian, Greek and now Finnish, not being based on the same root-words, are actually and really foreign.
It makes me quite unreasonably excited to see an image without a familiar name but with letters that make no sense whatever to me: the potentialities in a completely unknown word, the charge of energy, is quite different to the feeling I'd get from, say, Italian words. I don't speak Italian, but I've seen .
LOL :D
I must confess I don´t like my own Finnish language on tarot cards either. It is probably about finding it easier to turn on intuition when there is no language at all? The words and titles get me sidetracked. I always connect best with cards that have no titles at all (or very unobtrusive titles like the Morgan-Greer or The Templar.)
Most of my favourite deck are by Lo Scarabeo, but it seems that the decks I want to use I usually have to trim first.

Moona

I don´t like the Finnish titles on Kissatarot either. Maybe that´s because I understand them too exactly and that restricts my intuition. I share Missy´s opinion that the cards would be ruined if I trim them, but with this one I would like to. I will not, anyway.

What comes to LS decks the multilingual titles disturb my readings because I´m interested in different languages and I often find myself examining the titles intstead of reading the cards. Well, I´m just a beginner and it´s comforting to hear here that I´ll probably get used to them and finally don´t pay any attention to them. That´s good news because otherwise I like the LS quality.

Hemera

Moona said:
What comes to LS decks the multilingual titles disturb my readings because I´m interested in different languages and I often find myself examining the titles intstead of reading the cards.
This is exactly the thing I find myself doing! And I´m not a beginner.
Moona said:
Well, I´m just a beginner and it´s comforting to hear here that I´ll probably get used to them and finally don´t pay any attention to them. That´s good news because otherwise I like the LS quality.
Sooo... it may also be that you´ll eventually be joining us card trimmers :D :bugeyed: