Looking for some kind of "icebreaker" spread

Lilija

I've done the window/door about 4 times since your suggestion, for four different people in various setting, and it's exactly perfect. At lunch with a friend, between soup and entree, I did the spread real fast, for him, and it opened into a long, deep discussion about good stuff, for the rest of the meal. Loads of potential here.

Umbrae

Lilija said:
What's a good opener?
Had to come back with more thoughts, which came to me as I was posting on another thread in this section.

So much of this post is already posted...

214red said:
...now how can i read cake crumbs...
Golly - one can read with anything.

I watched Baroli read cookies at BATS, I've read Toothpicks, and other things, Satori reads buttons, there's tea leaves, Tools...

The point is - you can read with anything (once you learn to push yourself into the 'zone').

For an icebreaker - you can read anything. Yes - you can scry the bubbles in a glass of lager (or ale)..."Take a drink, set your beer in front of me on the sacred doily of doom..."
Or in this country, "Take a drink, set your piss-water in front of me on the coaster of chaos..."

The point: Shove yourself into the 'zone', and just start to read. The more you start to read (more things more often) the better you become. Icebreaker readings should be quick short sweet and...

Being ready is half the game. You may walk into a room and go..."OMG, I'd LOVE to read with those..." well whatever they are - read with them!

Glad you like Windows & Doors...

Sheri

Lilija said:
I read in the local tavern, for tips, from time to time. It's a great way to gain actual regular clients, and it's a load of fun. If it's a slow night, I'll spend however long with a sitter, and answer their questions, if it's busy, I'll limit myself to 5 cards or either with 5 question/answers or one 5 card spread.

What I'm looking for is this: What's a great spread for those that come up to me and ask "I don't have a question, I just want a reading!" I don't have a ton of time to sit there and commune with the aether, picking questions out of their heads, finding answers. I want something kind of light, maybe to get the questions flowing, or encourage them want to come back for more. I try use these opportunities to hand out my business cards, for appointments.

What's a good opener?

Probably 60% of the readings I do are like this. I just throw some cards (usually 5 or 6) and then dive in. Most of the time, what I say will resonate with something and then the questions start (I also frequently throw more than one spread per person). Lately, all the readings I have been doing have been for people who have never had a reading before so they are scared that I am going to predict their death or something terrible. Once they realize the reading is nothing to be afraid of, AND you hit on that "thing" that you couldn't possibly know but do, they are intrigued and no longer fearful... they start talking and the "real" questions start popping out.

:love: Sheri

Michelina57

tavern ice breaker spreads

Greetings! Myslef and two friends often pair up and read at a local tavern... usually trying to spend 20 min or so on each reading. (sounds good in theory)

My tried and true format for such a venue is my so-called Trinity Draw. We decide on what time frame they want to focus on, usually next 6 mo. or so.

Then we draw the cards.
Actually four cards are drawn.
First card, the issue or soul-lesson which remains unresolved (from previous incarnations and thus carried over into the present life).

Second & third cards "travel together" as Karmic cards, Karmic Obligation and Karmic Grace. Obligation is the stuff one was supposed to do, a Karmic to-do list that most of us ignore once incarnated cause life can just be too, well... distracting & fun. The Karmic Grace card reflects the energies/opportunities or reminder/wake-up knock on the noggin calls that the universe offers.

The last card, the Futurity card shos the most likely outcome if we acknowledge and work with the two Karmic cards.

This format can be used when the querent has a specific question or just wants a general what's coming up? interest.
You can use majors only, the whole deck and even pull kicker cards for greater clarity as the querent asks further questions.

I've found this a great ice breaker and intro for those who haven't explored concepts such as Karma, past lives, etc. For many it's their 1st exposure to Tarot readings! It may interest them enough to consider setting up future private readings and we do leave out flyers letting them know when our next fair is, classes,home party offerings, etc. Hope this is helpful!

Lilija

Welcome to the forum, Michelina, thanks for the suggestions! Great hearing from other bar readers :)

Thanks for all the great insight, everyone.

Sheri, that's what I've been doing, just flipping cards, but it seems like I waste time getting around to the real questions, so I was looking for some structure, where the sitter comes to me with none.

Umbrae, I've practiced reading nothing and everything. I love doing it, never thought to use it as an ice breaker. I make it a point to read the lacings on my pints. (I don't drink pisswater, so there's always a good lacing, haha). I'm gonna start throwing pretzel rods for I Ching, maybe...

Sheri

Lilija said:
Welcome to the forum, Michelina, thanks for the suggestions! Great hearing from other bar readers :)

Thanks for all the great insight, everyone.

Sheri, that's what I've been doing, just flipping cards, but it seems like I waste time getting around to the real questions, so I was looking for some structure, where the sitter comes to me with none.

Umbrae, I've practiced reading nothing and everything. I love doing it, never thought to use it as an ice breaker. I make it a point to read the lacings on my pints. (I don't drink pisswater, so there's always a good lacing, haha). I'm gonna start throwing pretzel rods for I Ching, maybe...

I don't "just" flip cards without intent, they are part of the reading. Just like using a structured spread but without the structure part. What comes up usually leads to more questions as they get comfortable and I've got their attention.

Lilija

Sheri, I know what you mean, I guess I don't "just" flip cards either (I mean, do any of us ever *just* do anything card related? Probably not, haha), but I feel like when I do that, I'm throwing darts. I hit some targets, get the questions going, open the discussion, narrow things down. In other settings, that's how I get things flowing, it becomes very conversational, and natural, but it can take too much time. In the bar, I think I needed something a little more to the point.

Amanda

nisaba said:
I have a few.

One is the even-armed cross spread:-

1) What is the immediate issue that needs your attendion
2) Best you can aim for right now
3) your anchor (what's weighing you down)
4) history (what brings you to this point)
5) Where do you go from here.

I hope you don't mind that I swiped this and used it on myself in the YR forum. And I will probably, definitely, use it for others. :D

JSNYC

Lilija said:
I read in the local tavern, for tips, from time to time. It's a great way to gain actual regular clients, and it's a load of fun. If it's a slow night, I'll spend however long with a sitter, and answer their questions, if it's busy, I'll limit myself to 5 cards or either with 5 question/answers or one 5 card spread.

What I'm looking for is this: What's a great spread for those that come up to me and ask "I don't have a question, I just want a reading!" I don't have a ton of time to sit there and commune with the aether, picking questions out of their heads, finding answers. I want something kind of light, maybe to get the questions flowing, or encourage them want to come back for more. I try use these opportunities to hand out my business cards, for appointments.

What's a good opener?
I posted a spread that I use for just this situation. Actually, your post was the catalyst for me posting the spread. However, it isn't a particularly light spread... But I do think it is a great "icebreaker" spread. The initial 3 cards help to direct the focus, or illuminate the question before laying out the spread. If you do use it, I would love to know how it works for you!

Click here to view the 4 Aspects spread

Sheri

Lilija said:
Sheri, I know what you mean, I guess I don't "just" flip cards either (I mean, do any of us ever *just* do anything card related? Probably not, haha), but I feel like when I do that, I'm throwing darts. I hit some targets, get the questions going, open the discussion, narrow things down. In other settings, that's how I get things flowing, it becomes very conversational, and natural, but it can take too much time. In the bar, I think I needed something a little more to the point.

I hear you and understand completely, but I think I am not conveying what I am doing well enough. I don't throw a card, talk about it, throw another card, talk about it, repeat, etc.

When someone sits down, I ask their name and tell them mine. I then ask if they have something I can help them with, if not, then I ask if there is an area of focus they are interested in. If not, that is usually when they will ask if that is OK and then tell (nervously) me they have never had a reading before.

I've been shuffling while the above is going on and tell them that it's OK, we will just have a look at what the cards say then and hand them the deck. I tell them to mix them however they would like... shuffle, cut, mix in a pile and then stack back up for me (I have found if I don't add the last part, sometimes the sitter will leave the cards in a huge pile).

I take the deck back and throw 5 to 6 cards. I then do the reading, it's quick and concise. When I have hit upon that "thing" that I couldn't have possibly known about them (trip they are planning, number of kids they have, the argument with a coworker, etc.) they start talking because they feel they can now trust me with the REAL questions that brought them to my table to begin with. Up to now, the elapsed time is a couple of minutes. Very fast and a great way to break the ice with a sitter.