Loteria, the $2.49 "oracle deck"

stella01904

Actually, it's a Mexican bingo game:
http://gallery.elsewhere.org/v/loteria/

But look at the cards!
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/Stella01904/Loteria/?start=all
They lend themselves perfectly to reading. Christina Sosa Noriega has done this new, contemporary version:
http://www.cristinasosanoriega.com/
(click on "My Loteria")

What is wonderful about these, is that they can be read right out of the package.
There is the Moon, the Star, the Heart - just like Lenormand. And if you've ever spent time in the American southwest, the others will be evocative - without having to hunt down books and such.

I got mine at the local supermarket for $2.49. The cardstock is at LEAST as good as you see with most pricey Tarot decks. The images are on both sides, to accomodate spanish and english titles, but this can be circumvented simply by not looking at them as you shuffle and cut. I love these!

The only problem is that they are made in China. I try to avoid things manufactured there because of their human rights record and continuing occupation of Tibet, this is often not easy or even possible. But a deck is not a necessity. On the other hand I want to support Ms. Noriega and what she has done here, so I made an exception. I will not be purchasing all that crockery, though, appealing as it is!

Anyway, I know someone will enjoy this!

olivia

It looks very interesting!,I love the colors and the images, I'll search for more information, can you write a example of meanings?, it seems focused in fortunetelling...
Thanks for sharing!!!

stella01904

olivia said:
It looks very interesting!,I love the colors and the images, I'll search for more information, can you write a example of meanings?, it seems focused in fortunetelling...
I have to go to work soon, so I can't give you a whole list today - maybe sometime next week! But I would read it much the same as a Lenormand deck, that is, not study or research them like Tarot, but simply let the images and combinations speak.

The Heart is self-explanatory. The Margarita is intoxicating, the Drunkard is intoxicated, lol. The Mermaid is a temptress! The Popsicle Cart is something that generates a small income (like occasionally giving paid readings but having to keep your day job!) And so on....

La Llorona has a story. If you don't know it, you can find it in Clarissa Pinkola Estes wonderful Women Who Run With The Wolves. I think the Devil also has a story, he reminds me of the one about a young girl who was dancing with a very good-looking man, starting to fall in love, when she happened to look down and saw his feet. She saw hooves, and realised that she was dancing with the devil! This card, I think, is someone who isn't upfront about their true agenda, the person who seems to "transform" as you get to know them (and wish you hadn't).
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/Stella01904/Loteria/?action=view&current=MyLoteria-02.jpg

These are some of the meanings that have occurred to me. I'd love to hear others!

stella01904

Master_Margarita said:
Some interesting threads on loteria as an oracle:

Mexican tarot??

Mexican loteria cards

Divination with Loteria (Mexican bingo) cards?

If you do an advanced search on the word "loteria" in the forums database, it turns up twelve threads in total.
Thank you!

There is truly nothing new under the sun, lol!

This new deck I am using is a little different, some of the cards are changed. It doesn't have a Shrimp or a Barrel, but it does have a Low Rider car! (I like it as a metaphor, something mass-produced transformed into art, making something special.) Maybe that's why it seems easier to read.

stella01904

That's gorgeous!!!!!

6 Haunted Days

Sulis said:
I make tarot bags and spread cloths with fabric that has images of these Loteria cards on them:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1144468#post1144468

I didn't know what the cards were for a while and was really pleased to find that they are actually real cards.

I have many purse's from Queen Bee Creations (in Portland Oregon) and one of them is a purse with Loteria cards on the flap (the purses are made of vinyl and they are actual cards encased in clear plastic)...wish my scanner worked, it's really cool!

I'd love some bags and cloths with the images :)

Open Arms

We don't have those cards over here - Australia - where can I get some from??

They look so cooooool!!

stella01904

I just did an advanced search on ebay for Loteria available in Australia and turned up 131 items - most of them decks, :)

Back to the cards, I think it might be a mistake to assign fixed meanings to them, people are likely to end up thinking they have to memorise a List-O-Meanings and miss the point entirely. I think it is better to read "by the seat of the pants" than to memorise other people's opinions! But, just to explore the possiblities, I'll be posting some of the interps I've been coming up with. Others are more than welcome to do the same - even if you don't have the deck, the subjects probably have some meaning for you!

Starting with
#1, The Rooster
Proud, feisty, "cocky", strutting. A ladies' man, a polygamous-natured man. An announcement (the rooster crows at daybreak). Things that happen in the morning.