LS Secret Tarot - The Magician

mj07

I just wanted to start a thread on this one... was thinking about him this morning and wondering what IS that curly thing coming out the top of his head? Is he from another planet?

galadrial

This is probably my favorite Magician card. Given his intent expression and ready pose, I always figured the red squiggle represented a brain wave; mental energy so crackling with potential that it can't be contained, like an electric charge or a solar flare. What I like about this card is that it has tension; a sense that something is just about to happen. Perhaps the sun has to reach just such a height as to be shining onto the table in the cave. In any case, he seems to await the perfect moment to direct that energy and to manifest something.

Centaur

I like this card too. I was thinking that the thing on his head looks like the squiggly thing in one of the cups on the 7 of Cups. Anyone else see that?

Also... the table before him looks almost like some form of stone coffin. And I think that the Magician looks like some kind of vampire. I also think that his mouth is such that it looks as though it hides a pair of fangs.

})

spoonbender

Hey mj07, Galadrial and Centaur,

When I was exploring this card for the 78 Weeks of Study, I saw that curly thing as some sort of antenna, putting the Magician in contact with higher forces. Kinda like the 'lighting rod'-principle, you know? I think the whole card radiates a sort of otherwordly, "super-natural" feeling.

I always get the feeling this Magician is hiding something - it's as if he knows something we don't... Like you say, Galadrial, there's a sense that something is about to happen.

While I was exploring this card, I also noticed the phallic shape in the yellow sky behind the Magician - do you guys see this too, or am I just too sexually frustrated ;)? Together with the cave as a symbol of a womb, this could be a very powerful symbol of creation and life.

Spoonbender

Centaur

Hi Spoonbender,

Interesting ideas. I like the idea of the thing on his head as an antenna, and this as putting him in contact with higher forces. The Magician can make all things possible, therefore if he has access to higher forces via the antenna, then this would be a nice way to portray the fact that the Magician has some power at his disposal.

I'm not sure about the phallic shape! Hahahaha. I will have to go and take another look. LOL.

Oh, great signature BTW! })

galadrial

When I was much younger a friend of mine's younger sister was looking to us to find out where babies came from. She asked, euphemistically, whether the "flashlight in the cave" story was the correct one. The solar (masculine) energy penetrating the feminine cave does seem a powerful creation metaphor. I don't exactly see him as a vampire, but he does have an old world look to him and the table/coffin and implements look old as well. It gives a sense of drawing on a power older than time itself.

mj07

I've suspected him of being a vampire for a while now... along with a few other character inhabiting this world!

Centaur

mj07 said:
I've suspected him of being a vampire for a while now... along with a few other character inhabiting this world!

LOL. And he has that weird blue hair too. Kinda makes him look like he is from another planet entirely! :)

mj07

Centaur said:
LOL. And he has that weird blue hair too. Kinda makes him look like he is from another planet entirely! :)

yep, he's a martian vampire!

lunakasha

galadrial said:
The solar (masculine) energy penetrating the feminine cave does seem a powerful creation metaphor. I don't exactly see him as a vampire, but he does have an old world look to him and the table/coffin and implements look old as well. It gives a sense of drawing on a power older than time itself.

I like that!!! Yes....he does radiate a very powerful energy....and the blue hair and strange facial expression do make him look otherworldly....almost like he is able to look directly into your soul and manipulate your will, your thoughts...without blinking an eye!!!

VERY interesting ideas about the red-squiggly thing. I also see it as symbolizing his energy source, connecting to a power much greater than his own....

Does anyone care to speculate whether he is standing inside or outside the cave???? My guess would be that he is inside, because of the sunlight behind him...but then again, he could be there at night, with bonfires and torches lighting the inside.....

:) Luna