Major Arcana only decks

NikkiB

I've seen Dirks lovely Tantra Tarot but its majors only - what do people use thier majors only decks for ? what sort of readings? :D

Debra

Three cards, no more.

gregory

Oh - I just came to say one card readings on the whole - but yes, 3 cards would be OK. JUST.

SunChariot

NikkiB said:
I've seen Dirks lovely Tantra Tarot but its majors only - what do people use thier majors only decks for ? what sort of readings? :D

The one I have and adore is Chronata's deck. It really works well for me: The ChronaTarot.

Well since, for me, the Majors are about important life lessons that my life is trying to teach me through what I am experiencing, the logical thing for me is to ask that kind of deck questions like "What am I meant to learn from this experience?" "What life lessons is this experience here to teach me?"...kind of thing. "Or what spiritual lessons can be found there...

Those are the kinds of questions I would use a Majoirs only deck for.

As for the number of cards, whatever feels right. Sometimes there's more than one lesson to be learnt from an experience.

Babs

Le Fanu

I feel more and more of a pull towards Majors only decks. Nowadays I don't let the fact that it is Majors only put me off as I did in the past (unless it is one of those expensive Ltd edition Majors only ones, then I tend to think twice).

I have one of the LoS Tarocchi d'Arte Tarot of the III Millennium decks on the way. A deck I have always loved and I am getting the Majors only as they are bigger and better for reading.

The way I feel comfortable reading with Majors only is a one card draw, always using reversals, asking "which aspect of the Majors is uppermost in me - or my life - right now?"

I tend to believe that we have all the Majors in us (and everything we do) at all times. I ask "what is uppermost in me" at times of decision making, or when something important is iminent &c. And - like I say - always with reversals.

I'm currently enjoying using the Tarot Das Baum, which is Majors only, and I love it.

Moonbow

Majors only decks can be used the same way and for the same questions as any other, though my preference is to use the whole deck because I love reading the pips.

NikkiB

Thanks for the replies! I was worried it would feel a bit limiting..

Love the linked deck the Tarot Das Baum!!! now im tempted by that!!! oh dear!

nisaba

NikkiB said:
I used to use Majors-only decks nad although I try not to buy them I've had to give into the temptation to buy the Blue Moon and the Lebanese decks, both of which are lovely, and I have a unique 26-card Majors-and-a-few-minors-only Ironwing whiich I prize highly.

When I was young-in-Tarot I used to read with Majors-only decks, but these days a reading feels more satisfying if the whole deck is used. These days, if I'm going to use a reduc ed deck at all (very rarely!), I'll strip a full deck down to the Majors and the power group, which includes Aces and Courts. My 22-card decks are mostly for admiring the art, these days.

hazlit

Always use a majors only deck

I use two tarot decks when I read, one full deck and one majors only deck (Triple Goddess Tarot). I also use a few oracle decks. After reading the cards drawn from the full deck, I ask the sitter to draw one from the majors only deck and the oracle decks. These cards are used as guidance on the matter raised by the cards from the full deck. I find this works very well and is always appreciated by sitters.
hx

Chiska

I have two Majors Only decks and I have not used them yet. I would like to, but I just never seem to find the opportunity! Perhaps for an exchange sometimes?