Majors, Minors or Both...... Pros Cons or Is it just not done?

aurora-paige

Okay ladies and gents. I have just one itty bitty little question for y'all. I have spent my day going through the "Using Tarot Cards" board (yes all sixty-some-odd pages) and most of it was quite interesting. I have found some topics similar to my question (which I will add in here soon) but not exactly.

I have read (in here) that some of you use majors only and/or the full deck. But does anyone ever use minors only?

Maybe its just me because I started off with playing cards. But I feel like like the tarot is a map. The majors are the gridlines and big geography while the minors are the roads and streams (etc.). You can use one or the other to get where you're going but its best to use both. That being said sometimes I feel as if I just want the details without looking at the broader picture and so I use the minor arcana. While other times I just want to see the entirety and I use the major arcana. Although if I really want a 3D look I'll use both.

I don't know. Maybe I'm not making any sense. But I was just wondering on other people's views of it.

Sakura Murasaki

I think that you're making perfect sense. Every reader feels comfortable with something different. I tend to use the full deck in order to "get the 3-D look", as you said. But I've also tried playing cards, which is just like using minors only - cutting out the pictures on the pips. I think that that can be a good thing if your mind is feeling overloaded with all the symbolism and images.

Sheri

Welcome to AT, Aurora-Paige!

In my own experience, I haven't used the Minors only of a deck (I also have used playing cards). Part of that might be the fact that there are Majors only decks and not Minors only decks being made.

I believe that using Minors only would allow their unique voice to be heard.

I think it would be a great thing to experiment with!

valeria

Moonbow

This is a wonderful thread aurora-paige, and welcome to Aeclectic by the way.

I've recently tried my hand and using playing cards and I quite like working with them as they are so similar to working with the Marseilles minors. I'm more used to using a Marseilles or pip deck, so working with the playing cards came a little easier then I expected. Having said that, it did feel as though something was missing. Then I realised that I feel the Majors as being more spiritual with a deeper meaning as though it's the inner self talking and not the physical self.

To me, the physical and spiritual part of ourselves are inseparable because we have to experience both to be complete, and also must not neglect one for the sake of the other. I know that many Europeans work with just Majors and I also know that my ancestors, and I guess gypsies as well, worked with just the minors (or pips), but to me the complete deck gives the complete picture. :)

aurora-paige

Moonbow* said:
I feel the Majors as being more spiritual with a deeper meaning as though it's the inner self talking and not the physical self.

Hmmm

Majors = spiritual
Minors = physical

You know I've never actually thought of it that way. But now that I do. It makes sense.

Hmmmm must go off to think on this some more.

Sophie

Hello Aurora-paige and welcome :)

There is a tradition in Marseille deck readings that's much as you describe, although it uses both Majors and Minors. The reader starts with Majors in a set layout to map out the important areas, messages, lessons and directions for the querent, then lays Minor cards on top of the Majors, to look at the detailed patterns at every Major position. It would be possible to dispense with the Majors, but personally I feel I rather like the Big Signposts.

I love reading with playing cards too, btw - they are excellent for very detailed predictions. "Beware a young man who will try and pull the wool over your eyes concerning a property deal" (real case scenario!)

Eilan

I have a book (which I don't like) in which there are spreads for minors only, maybe I can post someone. I suppose the autor of this book sometimes uses minors only.

SolSionnach

SunChariot

Well, to me you should follow what feels right to you in Tarot. To me, I wouldn't use only the Minors. To me the Majors tell us about the major life lessons we are meant to learn from what is happening around us. And these are always, to me, in our best interest to learn them as well and as quickly as we can. Because if we don't the same lessons just keep coming up again and again.

So to me a Majors card indicates something very important, a deep learning lesson my life is teaching me, that I need to pay close attention to. The Majors are that to me, the Minors are just more the everyday occurences of life.

Bar

frelkins

"is it just not done?"

as umbrae here would say, the second someone tells you "it's not done" or "you're doing it wrong" --- that's when you're most right. so read with the minors. go for it. see how it works for you. :)