Make your own LWB

karlwb

The much maligned “Little White Book”; the general consensus appears to be that nobody likes them. We may glean some information from them but they usually wind up in the drawer, or if one keeps the box the cards came in, they take up that space that would be there in their absence.

Well, I still need a little help remembering the meanings of 78 cards and their reversals so I decided to create my own LWB. I compiled information from about a half dozen books, compared, contrasted, and combined, coming up with my best primary root meaning, as well as any secondary and tertiary meanings, and reversals.

An interesting thing appears to happen. As well as drilling the meanings into your head as you cut, paste, and edit, a feedback with one’s cards takes place, readings becoming more accurate as you solidify each individual card’s meanings.

This has probably turned out to be the best “lesson” in my apprenticeship.

danieljuk

when I was learning tarot I bought a blank notebook and wrote in it my favourite things I read or saw about each card! From different authors and some of the wonderful insights or interpretations posted on AT. It's my LWB of ideas. I use it to form my own ideas on each card! it's a great learning method, better than any one book to rely on I found :) :thumbsup:

you can make a digital version these days in software and apps like evernote!

JackofWands

From reading this, unless I've poorly understood, it sounds like what you're doing is creating a Tarot journal--a concept as exalted in the reading community as the LWB is maligned. I think that the main issue people have with the LWB is that it's too general and vague, and that referring just to the LWB can't tell you, for example, what the Five of Pentacles means in the "Past" position of a reading about someone getting a new dog. But synthesizing the book meanings of the cards in a personal document that helps you remember (and consequently apply) those meanings in a reading situation? It's a wonderful idea, and I think just about everyone here would agree.

(Well, maybe not "everyone". Consensus is nonexistent on AT. But, you know, a lot of people.)

Tanga

Yes - I have one of these in an A6/postcard size.
(I also have some exercise books set aside as Tarot journals for specific decks. To date, I've not played much with them - not enough hours-in-the-day and all that - But I will at some point :) Lol.).
It was the notebook that I amalgamated all the notes I made from the Tarot course I went on years ago, plus later, then added in new meanings and insights as I went along reading and learning from other sources.
It's now almost chocablock (with tiny notes) and I've decided to start a second one.
Here they are, with DIY index markers and green marker ribbons:

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/507569820481298210/

I don't remember where I got that wonderful old rendition of The Goddess there, with the names of her many facets listed in Latin.
Some magazine somewhere. I'll occasionally cut out pictures I like and use them to decorate various notebooks - just to detract a bit from my horrendous handwriting! :joke:
And on the right - that's a photocopy of the 2 of Pentacles from the Fradella Adventure Tarot (All Super heroes in there).

Metafizzypop

I did something similar, too. I have a notebook that I use to write down meanings of the cards. But I don't use it for the well-known meanings, like the Hermit as a search for enlightenment, or the 5 of Pents as an empty bank account. It's more for the secondary meanings, the less common ones. The common ones I can find in any book on tarot, but some meanings only come up through experience, and doing lots of readings over time.

As for those LWB's that come with the deck -- I think the annoying thing about them is that the meaning for each card consists of just a few words. Only a sentence or two. And everybody knows that that just doesn't do a card justice. So it's frustrating. But I do still refer to them. Sometimes those few words turn out to be the very words I needed.

karlwb

From reading this, unless I've poorly understood, it sounds like what you're doing is creating a Tarot journal--a concept as exalted in the reading community as the LWB is maligned.

Actually, my LWB is derived from my journal. I wanted a simple, to-the-point reference to carry around, the journal being on my word processor and a bit unwieldy. I'll sure nobody wants to see somebody pecking on a notebook for info. Just something to give an initial reading then get back to the querent after I scratch my head on it.

The LWB gets updated along with the journal if need be. Any old copies I hand off to the few like-minded folks of acquaintance.

Achlys

I don't mind the LWB. I think it's a good starting point. But I will often record my own impressions in a journal along with the LWB meanings.
I find a lot of my interpretations are nothing like the traditional meanings so sometimes I will use the LWB to see if there's a way to apply traditional meanings, but no one card has ever meant close to the same thing in a different deck, so a tarot journal is a must for me.

celticnoodle

I don't mind the LWB either tbh. I always keep them. I do now and again read through them too, but not usually. However, my first tarot book meaning that I purchased was the one titled something like "Its All in the Cards" by our very own John M. (Tarotbear). I LOVED that book and devoured it page by page. It was a great help to me. I now have 2 copies, because I read through the first purchased copy so much. I also took notes in the margins of individual card pages, when I was first 'learning' tarot.

It became my tarot journal really--as I preferred to write in the margins of the first book, (the 2nd one is in perfect condition and rarely used--but there when I need it), and its fun to still go back and read my 'notes' as well as what John had to say about the cards too.

karlwb

Remember back in school the teacher always told you to "take notes". You begrudgingly did realizing you can't bring them to the "test". Then you find out that the mere writing down of this info imprints in in your mind, the notes unnecessary. I believe this is what is going on here.

Also, after I've laid out my spread and interpreted it (for myself), I'll occasionally do "Flash Cards", flipping a handful off the remainder of the deck and recite the meanings as quickly and off the top of my head as I can. Interestingly, those cards possess a certain degree of relevance as well. I figure someday, I won't need that Little White Book at all.

rubyalison

I have a small book that I'm working on as my own LWB. For each card, I've written the key notes and words that most resonate with me from the actual LWB's that came with the decks I use the most often, plus from looking at the descriptions in a couple books I particularly like.

I also am putting in my little book my favorite spreads.

I trust my intuition when it comes to reading the cards, but sometimes I look at one thing about a card so much in a reading that I miss some other things. Referring back to my collected notes can help me expand my vision sometimes.

I will keep adding notes as I like to my little book until I can't fit any more words in. I find it definitely is a good study tool to create it. I especially found it interesting to compare cards from my favorite decks with each other as I went through the process.