making strides with tarot and astrology

HOLMES

I recently picked up my tarot and astrology book , and for some reason it started to click in my brain about studying the cards by the planets instead of in customary order of the major arcana numbers.
I found after studying the book the task was started to seem daunting again, this was despite the break through I made due to a key sentence of the authors look at the high priestress.
Then it click to me to divide them by rulership (only focusing on the major arcana )
Originally I only used one deck,, my wizards tarot,, then I pulled out my classic Llewelyn by Barbara moore (I just received in the mail 2 missing cards for this deck so I was complete ) .
So like scales I would run it like this saying it out verbally
Sun card =Leo strength cad
Moon high priestess= cancer chariot
Mercury magician = Gemini lovers/ Virgo hermit
Venus empress =Taurus hierophant/Libra justice card
Mars tower = Aries emperor
Jupiter wheel of fortune = Sagittarius temperance
Saturn world =devil Capricorn
Uranus fool =Aquarius star
Neptune hanged man =pieces moon
Pluto judgement =Scorpio death.
Then I reversed it
Pluto judgment =Scorpio death
Neptune hanged man =pieces moon
Uranus fool= Aquarius star
Saturn world =Capricorn devil
Jupiter wheel of fortune= Sagittarius temperance
Mars tower =Aries emperor
Venus empress =Taurus hierophant /Libra justice card
Mercury magician =Gemini lovers/Virgo hermit
Moon high priestess =cancer chariot
Sun card =Leo strength card

It became like a sort of mental scales , as one deck would start reversed and run it back forward.. and the other deck I would run it forward and backwards. That was yesterday and earlier today.
So today I was getting bored with running the planets scale and decided instead of focusing on the elements to instead try to understand the houses. , I looked through my astrology books not understanding the charts (this was despite reading astrology books and tarot and astrology books before )
And I finally understood why.. I kept in my mind going 1, 2, 3 in a clockward fashion starting at the 12 of clock postion. I noticed the charts had 1 2 3 going counter clockwise starting at the 9 o clock position.
So I slowly double checking signs in houses organized the cards by houses order. I went like this
12 11 10 9 8
1 2(7) 3(6) 4 5

And pointed them saying the signs, houses and rulers
Aries the emperor ruled by mars, the tower card /personality
Taurus the hierophant ruled by Venus empress/possessions
(I also put down Libra, the justice card)
Gemini loves ruled by mercury the magician /communication
(I also put down the Virgo the hermit card)
Cancer the chariot ruled by the moon high priestess/home
Leo strength card ruled by sun, the sun card/creative expression
Now I say without the card as I want to keep the rules and signs together
Virgo the hermit card ruled by mercury /work through service
Libra the justice card ruled b Venus /partnerships, diplomacy
Scorpio death card ruled by Pluto judgement /death sex, taxes
Sagittarius temperance ruled by Jupiter the wheel of fortune /long distance travel
Capricorn the devil ruled by Saturn the world card /career
Aquarius the star ruled Uranus the fool/ social interactions
Pieces the moon ruled by Neptune the hanged man /mysteries illness.
Then I reverse it.

Pieces moon ruled by Neptune hanged man / mysteries
Aquarius star ruled by Uranus fool card/ social interactions
Devil Capricorn ruled by Saturn world card/career
Sagittarius temperance card ruled by Jupiter /long term travels
Scorpio death card ruled by Pluto judgement /sex and death
Libra justice card ruled by Venus empress card /partnerships
(flip the Taurus/hierophant card down to )
Virgo hermit ruled by mercury magician card /work and service
(flip the gemini lovers card down to )
Leo strength card ruled by sun, the sun card /creative expression
Cancer chariot ruled by moon high priestess/ home
Now say
Gemini lovers ruled by mercury magician/communication
Now say
Taurus the hierophant ruled by Venus empress / possessions
Aries the emperor ruled by mars the tower card / personality.

12 11 10 9 8
1 4 5 (3)6 (2)7
If you don’t’ want to move the pairings around , use two decks so one when you run the scale upwards,, the ruling signs together earlier..
And the other deck you reverse it running down so you get the rulings signs together earlier (but when moving forwards it would be later)

I found tonight that while I was doing this,, I was forgetting the planets order.
So after some thinking I got one , the wizards tarot in direction of the houses/signs
And the classic tarot in the order of the planets
I spent an hour trying to understand rulership in my books and on line, and couldn’t’ really find a definition that helped,, even the book index here says it means they have the same energy..
So somehow if we went strictly by astrology , not including stuff like qabbala , numerology(kabbalaistic numerology ) by this reasoning the wheel of fortune would have the same qualities almost has the temperance card.. that it somehow deals with long term travel .oh sure I know there is more to it like elemental power behind the two cards , and when looking up rulerships just now there was exalation , fall , and deteriment. Which isn’t covered in this book, a website says that leads to elemental dignities.
Hmm.
Right now I am more concered about how to use this system to give an indepth reading but also to understand how they relate . (kind of like for me right now it is about understanding numerology wise how 8 becomes 17, 18, 19 back when numerology interested me , so it is how these two are the same )
I also find that some card assocations come easier to me,, virgo hermit no problem I am virgo..
Gemini commicuation no problem.. what is an problem is saggitus as temperance or scorpio as death.
The house system helps me to understand it more today. But what I means is memory wise I guess.
Which is why I stared the back wards system of counting down for me to get that side of the brain to understand non linearly I guess or in a hanged man way.

I think after another day I will start to do fire, water, etc.
I want to be sure I got the majors down astrology wise before attempting minors.

just to recap,, when watching my shows I run the cards signs with rules in house order front and back,,
and then I run the other decks in planet order front and back, including the basic information not included in my planet studies originally as I was just focused on rulership, and what was what at the time.

hope this helps someone who was struggling where do I go with tarot and astrology.
believe me I tried before going at it fool then magican etc. it just didnt' work for me. so this helped me.

edited to add, although I referenced the tarot and astrology book, I consider my post more about the general tarot and astrology connection, as I looked at 5 to 6 astrology books. so please mods leave this here, if I have a specific question for/about the book itself, I will post in the tarot book part.

HOLMES

tonight

I have added the elements behind the planets and the signs..
surprised I am the following
1. one sign has fire and water
2. the two rulers ships has one same sign and one other . aka
one air , air and earth.
and one earth, earth , and air.

I guess it is all astrology related and modern related ,, and not like waite changing the strength and justice card without telling the reasons.

tomorrow I will add the cardinal , fixed and mutable to their respective base element.

so off the top of my head

juptiter, wheel of fortune, fire rules
saggitus , temperance, fire , long term travel, and high education and philophsy.

(surprised me for I thought temperance was a water card, with the waters going back and forth, perhaps the extension of what kind of fire it is will help me understand it )

Michellehihi

I am totally lost...I want to study astrology but haven't started yet so now, I understand nothing of what you wrote.
What book do you suggest me, for a beginning of understanding the relation between tarot and astrology?

HOLMES

hi there,

if you want to study astrology by itself, we got an excellent resource here in beyond tarot section on astrology which has been around for at least 10 years.

so where to start
I have beginners books that teaches the basics of planets, signs, and the houses and how you can get a basic geist of it .

astrology for beginers by William w. Hewitt

astrology and horoscopes b strathern books limited (no author is named anywhere in the book ,)

mapping your birthchart by Stephanie jean clement. phd.

the ultimate astrologer by Nicholas campion.

I also have the only horoscope book you need volume one and 2, and this 800 dollar astrology course I ordered long long time ago , but up until now never really tried it.
I think there are better books listed in the astrology forum.

the tarot books I have right now on my desk are
tarot and astrology , the pursuit of destiny by Muriel bruce Hasbrouck.

tarot and astrology, enchance your readings with the wisdom of the zodiac by corrinne kenner (author of the wizards tarot and so the illustrations use that deck).

in her particular book she just starts off with the planets, then moves on to the signs in the major arcana.
so by using this method you learn the 10 planets then the other 12 major arcana planets.
the signs are learned in order of the houses they naturally belong..

since I was looking for an relationship connection between the cards, it was only after I decided to learn by rulership that I saw a more connected energy between the cards
so I encourage you to set aside a deck and order the major arcanas accordingly.
for now do this , if you got room on a table and make ten spaces

put the sun down,, and put underneath it the strength card. and say the sun rules the strength card

put the high priestress and put the chariot underneath

put the magican down,, and put the lovers and the hermit underh it

put the emperess down and put the hiephant and libra underneath it.

put the tower down and put the emperor underneath it

put the wheel of fortune down put temperance underneath it

put the world down , and put the devil underneath it

put the fool down and put the star underneath .

put hanged man down and put the moon underneath it

put the judgement card down and put the death card underneath it

you will have ten piles at the end of it. pick the up in the order you have set them out so the sun card is on top,, turn the pile backwards and lay down
it by starting first with
the judgement card and death card
then
hanged man and moon underneath it.

then the next day you can add in the astrology signs,

as for books , those are the main ones,
I heard in the forum this
book Tarot Beyond the Basics: Gain a Deeper Understanding of the Meanings Behind the Cards
has 50 pages on it,, but I dont' have the book.

Blending Astrology, Numerology and the Tarot

I didn't know this book came out nov 2012. it is from the American federation of astrologers. (I must put it on my book list, there is no book preview on amazon )

and you can't leave out this book on elemental dignities

Tarot Decoded: Understanding and Using Dignities and Correspondences, it came out in 2004. it has fire and water in the cards, and how to use that in the readings (which you need astrology understanding to help you so that would be a good book to get after you get tarot and astrology)

so Michellehihi my approach isnt' to take astrology and learn the tarot,, I already got the basics of astrology down,, instead it is to take the tarot and help me understand my astrology blockages.
which is kind of funny for according to my natal astrology I am supposed to be an astrologer type eheh.
so with this tarot and astrology book, I am making strides, the other book tarot and astrology by Muriel bruce hasbrouck didnt' do it for me, (I did look at the book lots of time frustrated)
for you start off with say emperor ,, and then 3 minor arcana cards that correspond to that card by astrology. nah that is too complicated I think.
the way I am doing it right now works for me.
hope it works for me while I apply it to the minors eventually.
(hope this helps you )

tarot_quest

my approach isnt' to take astrology and learn the tarot,, I already got the basics of astrology down,, instead it is to take the tarot and help me understand my astrology blockages.

Just a thought. I also use Tarot to understand astrology further. For example, I picked up some aspects in my natal chart and asked Tarot ''what does this aspect mean for me?''. The answers are super helpful and enlightening. I also used tarot cards to clarify some synastry aspects and seriously, it can do wonders!

Mixing tarot and astrology can bring more dept to several questions.

Grizabella

Do you have the book called Tarot Beyond the Basics? If you don't, I suggest you get it and I think it might be a big help for you in taking your Tarot practice forward. The author is Anthony Louis. The book is very informative about things that an experienced reader like you would be interested in. I heartily recommend it to you if you don't already have it. :)

HOLMES

Just a thought. I also use Tarot to understand astrology further. For example, I picked up some aspects in my natal chart and asked Tarot ''what does this aspect mean for me?''. The answers are super helpful and enlightening. I also used tarot cards to clarify some synastry aspects and seriously, it can do wonders!

Mixing tarot and astrology can bring more dept to several questions.

ah, I apologize for typing too fast ,
what I meant to say is I already got the basics of the tarot down,, not astrology (it is astrology I am learning through the tarot, and using that to understand the tarot deeper ) .
so besides my astrology deeper, I will as a byproduct of using the glean astrology information to understand the tarot deeper, I will actually learn the basics of astrology. :)

Morwenna

I learned in the opposite order; I was studying astrology for years before I picked up Tarot. And I never thought to combine them. But this sounds fascinating.

tarot_quest

I learned in the opposite order; I was studying astrology for years before I picked up Tarot. And I never thought to combine them. But this sounds fascinating.

Me too. I did study astrology for 3 years before I got into Tarot. I strongly recommend you to ask Tarot about astrological questions, you might be surprised by the accuracy and the dept that tarot can add to your actual comprehension of astrology :)

HOLMES

adding in the elemental part.

by house.
Emperor is cardinal fire Aries, ruled by tower card mars/fire, it is the first house personal.

The hierophant is fixed earth Taurus ruled by Venus empress/earth 2 houses possessions.

Justice the cardinal air Libra ruled by empress the Venus/earth card, 7 houses partnerships

Lovers card mutable air /Gemini ruled by magician mercury/air card deals with 3 communication house

Hermit the mutable earth/ Virgo ruled by magician mercury/air deals with 6 service to others houses

Chariot the cardinal water/cancer ruled by high priestess the moon/water deals with 4 house home

Strength the fixed fire card/Leo ruled by sun the sun card, deals with 5 house creative expressions

(as you do this, you would say the house 6 and 7 mentioned before)

Death the fixed water card/Scorpio ruled judgement the fire Pluto card, deals with 8 house sex and death

Temperance the mutable fir/ Sagittarius ruled by wheel of fortune Jupiter, the fire, deals with 9 house long distance travel and education

The devil, the cardinal earth/Capricorn card ruled by world the earthly Saturn deals with 10 house career

The star the fixed airy/Aquarius ruled by fool the air card, which deals with the 11 house social interactions

Moon the mutable water planet/Pisces ruled by hanged man the water planet, deals with 12 house mysteries illness.

With the same pile reverse it backwards.

Now to go by planets

The sun card is the sun card/fire, rules strength card the fixed fire/Leo, deals with 5 house creative expression

High priestess, the moon water, rules the chariot, the cardinal water/cancer deals with 4 house home

Magician the mercury the air rules lovers the mutable air/Gemini deal with the 3-house communication and rules the hermit, the mutable earth/Virgo deals with 6 house service to others

Empress the Venus earth card rules hierophant the fixed earth/Taurus deals with 2nd house the possessions card, and justice the cardinal air /Libra deals with 7 house, partnerships

The tower, fire /mars rules emperor the cardinal fire/Aries’s deals with first house personality

Wheel of fortune the fire Jupiter rules temperance the mutable fire/Sagittarius deals with 9 house, long distance travel and education

World the earth Saturn, rules devil the cardinal earth/Capricorn deals with the10 house career.

Fool the air Uranus rules star the fixed air/Aquarius deals with 11 house social interactions

Hanged man the water Neptune rules the moon, the mutable water/Pisces deal with 12 house mysteries

Judgement the fire Pluto card rules death, the fixed water/Scorpio deals with 8 house, death, and sex.

Then you reverse it back to the beginning.

I thin that is pretty well the geist of the major arcana, (until you start adding in kabbalah, ) as it pertains to astrology
So now I understand how they relate I can start to under the cards as individuals.