Mary K Greer workbook and cards

Ms Magpie

Good morning,

I have purchased Mary K. Greers workbook to get an idea of working with the cards. I like the direction that it takes you, but I have found the cards I bought for this purpose that I am not really connecting with. I bought the Thoth deck, and find that I am having a hard time getting anything from the pictures, and rely heavily on the book, or the internet for explanations. I did not pick up the Rider-Waite deck as those pics really I do not like.

I have a few decks and oracle cards, such as Guilded Tarot, and also Faerie Oracle, which honestly buzzes in my hands. Also Dali Tarot.

Currently in the book I am working though doing a reading a day of Body Mind and Spirit with journal-ling what comes up.

Has anyone else used this workbook? What are your experiences?

Thanks!

Barbara

Mellaenn

Congratulations to you! You selected one of the best in the Tarot World as your mentor; I have learned very much from Mary Greer. The beauty of her work is that she does not let you sit passively reading a book; there are exercises and things to do to make the experience very interactive. So you have the right tool there.

Finding a tarot deck that works for you does make a difference. I have a 1JJ that sat on my shelf from 1971 until about eight years ago. I finally realized that there were other tarot decks and I began to buy them and play with them. What a difference! (I still don't like reading with the darn 1JJ!) :grin:

Don't give up on finding a tarot deck that works for you. There a literally hundreds of decks to choose from, and there are a gazillion threads here talking about almost every deck out there, not to mention a few pix of sample cards from all of those decks. Enjoy your journey and welcome to AT!

Sulis

Which book are you talking about? Mary Greer has written quite a few ;).

Ms Magpie

Tarot for Your Self: A Workbook for Personal Transformation from Mary K. Greer is the workbook I have purchased, not easy to find to be honest, and in my looking I must of ordered two one from Ebay and another else where.

Thanks for your support, I think I will just have to find other decks. Till I get one that I really like for this project of mine!

Barbara

flying black kat

Mary K Greer has a Tarot Blog site that has all different kinds of information.

The link is

www.marygreer.wordpress.com

I hope you enjoy it.

Be at Peace

Kathy

Edited to add - There is a extensive thread based on Mary K Greer's - 21 Ways to read a Tarot card. It is really a very interesting and filled with all types of good info. Of course it is only my opion.

turtlebite

I have that book and I worked through it years ago. It's a very good book. I recently started reading it again and discovered many things that I didn't quite get the first time. I thought I got them the first time but experience has made me see things differently.

I don't think I could have started out with the Thoth to read with but I didn't like the Rider-waite either. The Hanson-Roberts was actually a very good deck for me at the time that I first went through this book.

flying black kat

made mistake - sorry

rwcarter

flying black kat said:
In the Tarot History & Iconography section there is a section devoted to the Thoth Deck.

In order to have access to it you need to be a paid forum Subscriber.
None of the forums in Tarot History & Iconography are Subscriber-only.

flying black kat

made another mistake - sorry

Ms Magpie

Thanks to all of you who replied, I really enjoyed reading your comments.

I have the book also, and here with me at work today the deck and 21 ways to read a tarot.

I continue to learn from all of you!

Barbara