Matching Tarot Cards with Paintings

Laura Borealis

Every now and then, a tarot card reminds me of a particular painting I've seen elsewhere. They're two completely different works of art, but express ideas in a similar way, if that makes sense.

One example is the Fey tarot's Wheel card, which reminded me of the painting "Spiral Transit" by Remedios Varo. Here's a link to them side-by-side. (Also attached below.)

You can see the similarities - a city shaped as a spiral, with towers, trees, little travelers, etc. There are differences too, of course, with the Fey card being more about Fate, but they both present a visual idea of life as a spiral cycle that we travel.

I was looking at my new Tarot of the Spirit the other day, and again the Wheel card caught my eye and made me go look up a Varo painting, "Still Life Reviving". Again, here is a link to compare them.

Seeing them together helped me see more in the Tarot of the Spirit's Wheel card. It might just be me, but they have a lot of remarkable similarities. There are two disks/planes spinning around a central axis. In the Varo painting, the plates appear to counter-spin, as the white swooshes do in the tarot card. It might just be me, but the tablecloth in the Varo painting could almost be a hand clutching the whole thing from underneath. Even the arch in the background is echoed in the tarot card's overarching Fortune figure. I didn't even notice her until I was comparing the card and the painting.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting exercise, and helpful too. And I was wondering if anyone here had any cards that remind them of particular paintings. They could be deliberate, cards that are homages to works of art, or accidental similarities like these here. (At least I presume they're accidental. They might not be!)

Attachments

• Fey Tarot vs Varo.jpg
    Fey Tarot vs Varo.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Tarot of the Spirit vs Varo.jpg
    Tarot of the Spirit vs Varo.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 188

Girl Archer

I think there is an entire deck based on paintings and art work, Art of Life Tarot? Also maybe Tarot of Delphi? I don't know if that was helpful at all but Van Gogh's Starry Night is always reminiscent of The Moon for me. Beautiful, alluring and mysterious. Painted from the window of his sanatorium if I remember correctly?

Laura Borealis

True, there are tarot decks that use works of fine art as the cards (there are several I believe) but I was thinking more of tarot cards that remind you of a work of art. Like my examples.

Is there a particular Moon card that reminds you of Van Gogh's Starry Night? That's one of my favorite paintings of his. :)

Girl Archer

True, there are tarot decks that use works of fine art as the cards (there are several I believe) but I was thinking more of tarot cards that remind you of a work of art. Like my examples.

Is there a particular Moon card that reminds you of Van Gogh's Starry Night? That's one of my favorite paintings of his. :)

Ah well... I am not really an art student or art enthusiast though I do appreciate the good stuff. I guess there isn't a card in particular that reminds me of Starry Night, but if you had to put card associations to it, I would say Moon. I would have to think about this and get back to you. Great topic btw! Oodles to learn :)

Laura Borealis

The entire Prisma Visions tarot reminds me of Starry Night, actually. I think the artist set out to mimic Van Gogh.

Padma

The entire Prisma Visions tarot reminds me of Starry Night, actually. I think the artist set out to mimic Van Gogh.

That was how I felt about it, as well! I liked the effect, though :) I am really glad I got it.

I love your examples, Laura! I see what you mean about the similarities. And sadly, I have now been enabled to buy the Fey tarot :p :laugh: Thanks a lot! (Rawr! My deck budget is so pinched! Maybe it will go on my wish list :) )

Laura Borealis

That was how I felt about it, as well! I liked the effect, though :) I am really glad I got it.

I love your examples, Laura! I see what you mean about the similarities. And sadly, I have now been enabled to buy the Fey tarot :p :laugh: Thanks a lot! (Rawr! My deck budget is so pinched! Maybe it will go on my wish list :) )

Prisma Visions is beautiful. I'm still on the fence about it, though, because I think I'd just look at it a few times to admire it, then put it on the shelf.

The Fey tarot is one of my favorites! At first glance it just seems cute and cartoony, but it's surprisingly deep. Riccardo and Mara did a fantastic job. For me, it helps that two of Mara's influences are Miyazaki and Jean Giraud, whose works I just love. (See, another art connection :))

Padma

Well, I caved and bought the Fey from rwcarter's big sale :p I felt as you said, it would be deep. I hope so! If you like it, it is a good endorsement!

It was the picture comparisons you used that influenced me. I can see the influence of that artist in the Fey's artist's work :)

I wonder about the new Tabula Mundi deck coming out - I mean, I can see Escher-like influence in some of Babalon's art - but I would have to search to find specifics! There is also one card in the new AT deck that reminds me of Escher's art - for the life of me, can't remember which one it was - I will have to go back and look. It involved stairs...

ETA I find the Prisma reads like a breeze :) very chatty, that deck!

Padma

Not sure which person did the Wheel card - I will go back and check in a sec - (ETA It was Rose Lalonde who did the Wheel card!) but this was kind of what it reminded me of (along with a pic of the Wheel card done by AT person :) )

They are not the same, obviously, but in the same style ;) I like it!

Attachments

• wheel of fortune.jpg
    wheel of fortune.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 156
  • escher.png
    escher.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 157

Laura Borealis

Yes! The Escher is strong with this one! Great example. :D

And you've reminded me of yet another.

Attachments

• fey-hermit.jpeg