Mentors and Apprenticeships

NamasteIndia

If i have to take tarot to a pro level i need a mentor

I am learning fine art and Sir is mentoring me. I end up making so many mistakes and sir corrects me. Earlier i learned fine arts under a female teacher who was yelling, screaming and shouting at me. But now this sir corrects me politely. Then i practice at home and finally under their guidance i hope to master art.

But same cannot be said about tarot. I participated in.two charity reading event i got stuck so many places, for some readings were dissatisfied.
I would love to have a real life mentor someone who can guide me

NamasteIndia

A confident personality with good communication skill is needed that comes with strong childhood and upbringing

Astraea

What has been your experiences with having a tarot mentor or apprenticeship?
If you had one:
How did you find/identify them?
How did you benefit from mentorship
Would you encourage others to seek mentorships?
Do you currently mentor others? why/why not?
I did have a mentor, but I didn't think of it in those terms - my mentor was a very good friend whom I visited and talked with almost every day. She had a metaphysical shop, I bought decks there and we discussed things. It was a straightforward and beautiful relationship.

That was in the 1970s/80s. Nowadays, we have the Internet and social media - so many ways to learn and develop our skills! I think that some of us might still benefit from one-to-one mentoring, while for others group input works best - and AT is a fantastic place to learn from experienced readers.

The principal drawback to online learning is that, with the staggering amount of information available, it's difficult for the beginner to know where to focus and how to build a scaffold of understanding. Personal mentoring offers an intimate learning environment in which the mentee's development is central and specific.

I don't mentor anyone in the way that I was mentored, mainly because I've never had a public tarot practice and couldn't advise anyone in that regard. But my friends and acquaintances know that I'm open to discussion if they have questions about tarot, cartomancy, or other areas I've pursued.

Cocobird55

I had a friend who had been involved with tarot for years, and read professionally. When I began reading, she sort of felt like she should mentor me. Unfortunately, we have different reading styles. She only does predictive readings and I like to look at possibilities.

She had been reading for me for 30 years, and none of her predictions ever came true. Just not a good match for me, although it felt awkward at first not wanting her help.

I agree -- the best mentors are here.