Merlin tarot

forest maiden

merlin looked so cool but i found that it is extremely hard to read with alot of unnecessary cards. it broke my heart...

Merenwen

If you like the Merlin artwork, try the Arthurian Tarot by Caitlin Mathew & her husband (forgot his name). It's also drawn by Miranda Grey, but all the cards have landscapes and/or people on them.

I love the Merlin, but find the Arthurian easier to read with by a milion miles.

Arania

What cards are unneccessary there?

forest maiden

unnecessary cards

The cards that are un necassary are the cards that read like this:

Fullfillment, joy, danger, friendship, etc.
they are very hard to incorporate into a reading. especially when the trumps say one thing and those descriptions cards say another. plus, it was my first deck and it made it hard to learn. i wil definitley take a look at the authurian tarot deck you reccomended. thanks again!!

Thank you merenwen and arania, your kindness is appreciated.

Sidhe-Ra

Merenwen said:
If you like the Merlin artwork, try the Arthurian Tarot by Caitlin Mathew & her husband (forgot his name). It's also drawn by Miranda Grey, but all the cards have landscapes and/or people on them.

I love the Merlin, but find the Arthurian easier to read with by a milion miles.

His name is John Matthews. :)

The Arthurian was my first deck, and far, far better than the Merlin Tarot, as is the accompanying book. I can't reccomend it enough! Other excellent related decks theme-wise, (ie Merliny ones) are the Legend Arthurian and the Llewellyn.

Many Blessings,

Em

6 Haunted Days

Yes I was disappointed in this one as well. I love RJ Stewart and have all his books....his tradition, obvious integrity and brillance made me have hopes. But just like the Dreampower deck, this was a wash. I wonder why he can't seem to put together a powerful symbolic tarot? Seems odd!

redflash

I was disappointed with the merlin tarot, I got it used off ebay last week. I also got the arthurian ( hallowquest) tarot last week & it is far superior ! I absolutely love it, you should definitely check it out !

Tansey Ella

edited

WolfSpirit

6 Haunted Days said:
Yes I was disappointed in this one as well. I love RJ Stewart and have all his books....his tradition, obvious integrity and brillance made me have hopes. But just like the Dreampower deck, this was a wash. I wonder why he can't seem to put together a powerful symbolic tarot? Seems odd!

I have a great respect for RJ Stewart too but I feel that tarot is not his strongest point. He does not respect tradition, he changes so much in a deck I am doubting if it is still tarot, and he seems he only cares for the majors and the minors are just a filler.
I think in both the Merlin and the Dreampower the majors are very beautiful.
I have not given the deck much attention lately because it will take quite an effort to get into it again ;) I always reach for my trusty easy to read decks.

So yes, I own a Merlin too but have not used it much. But I am keeping it too.

Grizabella

I had the Dreampower once and loved the majors but I don't know where on earth he got those minors from. So the Merlin is just as bad, huh? I'm glad to know that before I tried it out.

What decks do I love but don't have yet? I can't really think of any but I'm sure I'll come across something pretty soon. I always do. :) I don't collect decks like some do for the art work. I only collect decks I can read with, usually, and those are almost always Rider Waite based decks.