Minchiate and the Airs?

firecatpickles

In the Minchiate sequence, the last five cards are called "The Airs" or "Higher Virtues." Aristotle had five such virtues. I wonder if there is a connection between the two? There is a connection between Aristotle and Florence but the Internet reveals mostly pay sites to scholarly journals I can't afford :neutral:

This discussion may belong in Using Tarot cards, as I often consider these interpretations when reading, but here goes...

• 36. The Star "Entendment" or Intuitive reason/intuition
  • 37. The Moon "Sapience"
  • 38. The Sun "Science" Syllogism/Discourse
  • 39. The World "Wisdom" [I read somewhere that the "vultus trifons" is "Memory, Intelligence and Forethought" but can't seem to find my source.]
  • Fame (The Trumpets) "Art" (or Ars), "a state concerned with making, involving a true course of reasoning," such as a life's work. [Note the tarot card is invariably a scene scape of Florence, Italy.]

The essayist in this article:

http://www.escholarship.org/editions/view?docId=ft4m3nb2n4&brand=ucpress

"Imaging Aristotle" discusses Oresme and the use of plates or foils(?) to describe the Aristotelean virtues but I am unsure if the order in which they are dicussed is important, if the originals were in a particular order, etc. B

Also off topic, the article linked above has given depth to my Minchiate readings :D

Bernice

Firecat: Aristotle had five such virtues. I wonder if there is a connection between the two?
Thanks for that link firecat, I think it very likely that many card-makers (&/or commissioners) were familiar with Aristotle. This book is a great source for researching elements of early card images - what they were meant to mean as opposed to what we think they might mean.

Full title of the book;

Imaging Aristotle
Verbal and Visual Representation in Fourteenth-Century France

Bee :)