1JJ Swiss Questions

Gregorio

I'm sorry if the 1JJ Swiss deck does not belong in this discussion section but I am trying to find out exactly what this deck actually is. I've used this deck for the past 26 years and I recently retired my old and well worn (french)deck with a newer (english) version and I have become curious about it but have been unable to find much information, which I find odd since this deck was once as popular as the Rider-Waite-Smith deck. I understand that it is based on an old deck (perhaps a Tarot de Besancon?) but where could I find scans or photos of the "original" 1JJ deck? Is it a more modern design or is it truly an ancient deck? How did it get the name "1JJ" and why is it refered to as "swiss"? I have heard the two "J's" refer to Jupiter and Junon and if so what does the "1" refer to? I have been unable to find any other deck that really resembles this one and I would love to know more about my favorite deck. I have read the Kaplan book that uses this deck but it offers no information about the origin of these particular cards. I also notice that it is no longer listed as being available on the US Games website. My new copy is from AGMuller with no mention of "distributed by US GAMES" anywhere on the box or on the inside cards (I ordered mine from Amazon as no local bookstores or shops carry this deck in my area). I understand this is no longer a "fashionable" deck but I hate to see how its popularity has declined.
If anyone knows anything at all about the origins of this deck I would love to hear it. Thank you!

Abrac

You're right about JJ standing for Junon & Jupiter but I don't know what the 1 is for either. It's called Swiss because it originated in Schaffhouse, Switzerland. You can see "Schaffhouse" in the ribbon on the Two of Coins.

There are scans of two versions at the World Web Playing Card Museum along with some brief information. According to them the original version was made in 1831.

This was the deck that Kaplan discovered and brought back from Europe that launched his tarot career. The earliest US Games edition has a Wall Street address for the company. This is the only US Games deck I've seen with that address and must be where they started. But there were earlier versions in the US; one that I know of was published by Wehman Bros.

There are some people here who have said they started with the 1JJ. I didn't start with it but I love it all the same. I've noticed a lot of older tarot books and articles are illustrated with it so it must have been pretty popular in its day. :)

Gregorio

Thank you very much for your replies. It was great reading and especially nice to see the scans of the original deck. I appreciate it your response.

Le Fanu

I have long been intrigued by this deck and a while ago started this thread.

I still have no idea what the 1 refers to.

Nor why it is impoosible to see an edition of this deck prior to the 1960s.

Is it originally 18th Century? 19th Century? Why does no library have a pre-AG Muller/pre-U.S Games edition in its archives?

I sometimes think it was invented in 1967...

Freddie

I agree with you Le Fanu.

Freddie

Lillie

I thought there was an early edition here
http://www.a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks05/d02971/d02971.htm

Which is the same link as in the second post of this thread, by Abrac.

The first deck shown is modern, but I thought the one at the bottom of the page was old. 1870, it says.

Or am I mistaken?

gregory

Stuart Kaplan first saw the thing at a toy fair in the 60s. From such a chance did everything grow. I'm not sure if he saw an original or an antique. It was a traditional Swiss Italian suited deck.

It was much like the Muhlemann and Walther tarot of the 1880s which was part of a tradition of these decks - the cards are all virtually identical - except for the old Jupiter/Junon thing. Rauch first printed the 1JJ in the early 19th century. (1865; just found it.)

ETA and an earlier one from Rauch - 1830s....

We done yet ???? ;)

Le Fanu

Lillie said:
I thought there was an early edition here
Now I see it (clicked naturally on Death first..) I remember I've clicked on that before.

So, yes, that's the original 1JJ Swiss. You're right Lillie.

Imagine coming across an original of that at a fair. I guess Kaplan came across a reproduction, but he may have come across the original, who knows?

But I bet he has an original in his collection....

Abrac

Ahh...excellent info gregory. Do you happen to know if there's anything in the Encyclopedia of Tarot about the one shown at the WWPCM from "1870?" I couldn't find anything. Based on the reference to Schaffhouse on the Two of Coins and the initials IM on the Four of Coins I'm guessing it's by Johannes Muller II (1837-1901).

So the design is apparently wholly Swiss in origin and tradition. Rauch (Diessenhofen), Muhlemann and Walther (Hasle bei Burgdorf) and Muller (Schaffhouse).