Miscellaneous enabling threads... meh?

GoldenWolf

It is possible to search within a thread (see the upper right hand corner above the posts). It's a little less tedious than hunting through the thread page by page.

Threads on specific decks would be handy and easier to search for. However, if it's a little known or limited edition deck, there may not be enough people who have the deck to give a lot of input on it anyway.

Of all the enabling/de-enabling threads, the recent pro/cons thread is the most helpful to me since people actually cite specifics about the decks. Just having someone say they love or hate a deck or that it reads great isn't very helpful since I don't know anyone's likes and dislikes well enough for that to be meaningful in any way.

Zephyros

You all raise excellent points, however those same points and more could be achieved by "the old" system" of just asking those kinds of questions in a separate thread. Like Myrrha said, she would not have known about a certain deck if it did not have its own thread. How many deck do you not know about, if you don't peruse what is essentially a non-descriptive thread name?

Sulis

You all raise excellent points, however those same points and more could be achieved by "the old" system" of just asking those kinds of questions in a separate thread. Like Myrrha said, she would not have known about a certain deck if it did not have its own thread. How many deck do you not know about, if you don't peruse what is essentially a non-descriptive thread name?

But you can still do that, it's not as if we've got rid of threads about individual decks, we've just got a new thread as well now.

Chiriku

For my own deck research purposes, I prefer to do a Search for all threads devoted exclusively to that deck; read some of the opinions that people posted in the past; and then contribute my own opinion to the thread.

This would not fly on some other forums I've been a part of, where "necro-posting" (reviving old threads) is looked down upon. But it quickly became apparent to me the first time I lurked on AT that here was a forum in which the exact opposite sentiment prevailed: fresh threads on old subjects were tacitly (and sometimes not quite tacitly) discouraged, and the questioner was often re-directed to old, already-existing threads.

So, I tailored my deck research habits to the culture of the forum...and found over time that I actually prefer the old-thread research. It has exposed me to the well-considered opinions of people who are no longer active members, and it has given me a snapshot of the zetgeist at the time some decks were released (often to great fanfare that, later in the thread, petered out as time wore on).

Substantive--emphasis on the "substantive"--catch-all deck threads like the current Pros and Cons one are usually worth at least a quick read. But I only like them to the extent that they don't keep people from posting in the individual deck threads. And right now, that seems to be the case; all threads are co-existing in peace.

If it's ever determined that people are devoting most of their energy and posts to the catch-all threads at the expense of the individual deck threads, I'd have to agree with closrapexa and hope for the demise of the catch-all. Nothing beats individual deck threads.

Morwenna

So far I like the new pros-cons thread because it is specific and gives a fair comparison of both sides of the issue for the particular poster, and straight. (I read the de-enabling thread for humor, when I feel I have time.) But I also search for individual deck threads, and when I've failed to in the past and started a new one, I've been re-directed, and then I post everything into the original thread. I think there's a place for both. Once someone has seen a deck, whether in the deck browse or in the Decks threads, then a quick visit to the comparison thread can be helpful.

Zephyros

I actually don't mind the multiple threads, just as people may ask the same questions on Using time and time again. Not everyone has been on the forum since 2004 like I have, and many have been here long before that. In a sense, the forum is big enough and old enough to contain practically every Tarot related question there is, but the dialogue continues. A pros and cons thread (don't take this personally Chronata!!) proves my point even more, since it is the entire Decks forum in one thread. I'm not saying those threads should be stopped or banned, but bring the party out into the open!

Kind of like giving back to the community, in a small way, and contributing to others` knowledge,rather than asking a pointed question on a pointed thread, it`s what keeps everything rolling.

Myrrha

I don't have anything against the pros and cons thread, actually like it better than either the enabling or de-enabling threads. I only meant that I do miss the number of individual threads asking about specific decks.