Mistake?

Tarotphelia

Brittney, if I were you I would do this :
Buy a duplicate of the Marseilles deck you gave to your friend . Ask your friend to trade you back your first deck and offer her the new Marseilles as a replacement . Explain that you miss it and she will probably understand .

You only get one "first deck" and it should have a place of honor with you .

mysticmonkey

I think if you connect with the Universal then you should stick with that alone for a few months. Having more than one deck in the beginning can be confusing and the Universal and Marseilles differ quite a bit for a beginner.
I would also recommend sticking to one deck for a while.

I also like to think that you were meant to give the deck to your friend. You connect with the Universal her with the Marseilles. It was meant to be.

Perhaps you could learn and read with your Universal for several months and then at a later date buy another Marseilles if you still like the images. You'll probably find by then that you've enjoyed working with the Universal so much that you feel more connected to that as a "first deck" that the Marseilles. There's something nice about using a deck for a while, getting to know the images. Coming back to it for readings like talking to an old friend. That is more important to me than which one I happened to pay for first. ;)

$0.02