money for readings.

weathergirl320

i have been giving tarot/medium readings for a little while now about 2 years or so, but i dont charge money for them. anyone else feel guilty for taking money after a reading? if someone really wants to pay me i tell them to make a donation to a charity with the money. anyone else feel this way??

nami

Can't say I feel that way myself right now. I've been paid for readings before, and I didn't feel guilty for it. I provided a service, I was paid for the service. That's how I view it myself. I have offered readings for charity as well, and I see that as being "paid" for what I did, but in a different sort of way than financially. I've heard of others who will exchange a reading for a trinket or something else small as payment rather than taking money.

I know there are others on the forum with similar views to yours. When I was younger, I did have that view myself, and I respect anyone who wishes to do it that way as well. What ever you wish to do with the cards is up to you in the end.

Asbestos Mango

I worked for a short while on a psychic phone line and found that the pressure of having someone on the other end who was paying by the minute totally destroyed my ability to read. But many years ago, I worked on such a line and didn't have the problem, but then I think I had more self-confidence when I was younger. I've been through the wringer since then and my confidence has taken a major hit.

I've though about starting my own website where I could either charge a flat fee for the readings so I can relax and take my time, or doing them for free and having an "online tip jar" where people could give me a few bucks if they felt the reading was accurate and helped them.

Kosjitov

I do the same thing. Since I'm still learning, I don't feel right taking it and I've asked that the cash be donated to charity. One woman helped out the ASPCA and those that are getting readings done this month will give to Breast Cancer. :D

It's win-win. I help them, they help me AND a charity!

nami

That's wonderful, Kosjitov! :)

Sword King

I have no problem taking money for readings. The great thing about a relatively free market economy such as ours is that prices are determined by supply and demand. So a reading is worth what someone will pay you for it. I wouldn't expect a decent mechanic to fix my car for free.

Having said that, I do try to offer readings to the community here for feedback as a way to help everyone (including me) learn a little more. Even if asking for feedback isn't entirely free, it's relatively freer than, say, $0.99 per minute. :)

Kosjitov

You wouldn't expect a mechanic to fix your car for free, but you would expect a kid who is still in a vo-tech class and learning on your car to fix it for a lower fee than a professional garage with people who are certified in x, y, and z. The massage therapists near where I work have to get practice. 15$ an hour for a massage from a trainee vs 50-100$ an hour from pros. :D

Sword King

You wouldn't expect a mechanic to fix your car for free, but you would expect a kid who is still in a vo-tech class and learning on your car to fix it for a lower fee than a professional garage with people who are certified in x, y, and z. The massage therapists near where I work have to get practice. 15$ an hour for a massage from a trainee vs 50-100$ an hour from pros. :D

Oh, no doubt! I couldn't agree more. In fact, that's what I was getting at with my ECO101 statement. I would expect the reader's credentials to factor into the pricing they demand and the customer to be looking out for their own self-interest in terms of accepting that pricing.

Morwenna

I never had problems taking money, but it's a long time now since I've read at renfairs, and I haven't sought any other venues since (low self-confidence and all that). My coworker who reads does so for pay; she's a temp and she needs the extra money for living expenses, but fortunately for her she's very experienced and has a small regular clientele and readily takes new clients. But when she's demonstrating, or reading for someone here in the office, she doesn't charge. In such circumstances I wouldn't either. But I wish I had the confidence to build up a clientele like she did.

RexMalaki

"cross the palm with silver"