More than just cards

sladie

I love my bf, I really do, and he's supported me (And is continueing to support me) and my Tarot adventure from the beginning. However; he can't be apart of it because of the way I treat my cards.

I honestly believe the cards have their own set personality. I believe they need to be treated with respect, kindness, and every now and then have a conversation with. I kiss my cards on occasion as a thank you for a reading. In exchange, it's given me very loud, very clear readings. The deck is in an entity, sentient - and it should be treated as such, or at least I do.

Anyways, he thinks because I treat my cards as a person, he can't be a part of it because he doesn't think the cards are anything but cards. I understand that point of view, and I know some readers think just that - but that doesn't work for me either.

Am I strange for thinking my cards this way?

Viridian

I don't think it's strange.

I think the major draw of Tarot is that it connects you to something deeper and although everyone has a different idea about what that might be it still is very powerful.

I do think decks have personalities but I don't see them as sentient although plenty of people do. I think perhaps they might be a channel for sentient influences.

Rosewater

I don't see anything wrong in your relationship to the cards. People have often developed affinities for certain possessions, believing these things work better when they are given care and affection. Cars and boats are an obvious example. They give them names and talk to them as if they can hear and respond. Who's to say they don't?

Other people don't see it that way, and your bf seems to be one of these. A car is just a construction of metal, rubber, glass etc, and cards are just laminated paper. But at least he respects your different view of your cards.

CrystalSun

Not strange at all. And your boyfriend is wrong. Cards are not simply cards. They have a connection through SPIRIT with YOU. Thanks to them you can see messages from the Higher Source and be able to get help in solving daily life problems. So don't worry, your relationship with the cards is just right.

sladie

Not strange at all. And your boyfriend is wrong. Cards are not simply cards. They have a connection through SPIRIT with YOU. Thanks to them you can see messages from the Higher Source and be able to get help in solving daily life problems. So don't worry, your relationship with the cards is just right.

Yup, this is how I feel about them. I developed a very deep connection with them through a lot of hard work, and I feel when I talk to them, they really help me feel better, or at least give me a heads up that something might not be right. Thank you

sladie

I don't see anything wrong in your relationship to the cards. People have often developed affinities for certain possessions, believing these things work better when they are given care and affection. Cars and boats are an obvious example. They give them names and talk to them as if they can hear and respond. Who's to say they don't?

My friend and her parents have named all their vehicles hehe, we also encourage old Sally (my friends 27 year old car) to start in the winter, and that actually seemed to help.

Thank you for letting me know I wasn't odd, and giving me an example of others. I had a hard time relating to it. Thanks. :)

Holland

I use to do that with my cards as well(except the kissing part). They would sleep by my side on the nigh stand, I would thank them at every reading(actually I still do that one) and take them to work. However, I do consider them just tools, I have talked to professionals and they all tell me its cards in the end. We the readers are the ones with powers. A mechanic uses a screw driver among his tools, but in the end, it is he who has the skills and delivered the repairs.
I still love my cards and find them absolutely stunning http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sirian-starseed/

But on the other hand, remember they are your cards and you are the reader, its your method/relationship and no one else.
Blessings my friend.

Grizabella

Cards really are just cards. If they're causing a rift in your relationship, you might want to back up just a bit and have another look at how you're choosing to view them.

I have a respect for the cards and I love using them, but I never see them as entities in their own right. They're absolutely not. They connect you with a Higher Power, but aside from that, they're the tools we use to access that power. If you were to go to church, would you kiss the hymnal because it's a tool for praising God? Or the pew you sit on?

At any rate, whatever you choose to do, I'd suggest if your relationship is going to suffer and maybe be lost, that you rethink this relationship to your cards and maybe just tone it down a little for his sake. If you ever want him to be a participant in your beliefs, you're going about it the wrong way it sounds like.

BrownBear

I have given this a bit of thought, and I am a little confused by what you mean when you say your boyfriend "can't be a part" of your tarot interest.

Is there some reason why he needs to be interested in all the same things you are? I know that in my own relationship, we have many divergent interests, and goodness knows I don't want to "be a part" of my partner's NASCAR obsession. we are also of different religious beliefs. None of this means we are not "soul mates" or can't be supportive of each other's beliefs.

sladie

He is incredibly invested in my wellbeing, its not so much he HAS to, I had the intention that it was my own project.

It was just the way he said it, and the feeling I got from it. I did take time to stop and think about the cards. Theyre tools, but they are accurate in explaining how I feel.

I have a lot to learn still. I was just wondering if I was alone with how I initionally thought.