Morgan Greer or Connolly?

gregory

There are others that are pretty in your face, though. Several cards are so close to the "traditional" pix of Jesus it's hard to think that wasn't intentional.Especially - er - "Materialism" - and "transition" gets me that way too.

And all the little cherubs round the sun. All over the pace actually. And actually 8 cups with a guy praying like mad isn't - usual. And three swords with added cross... Sorry Freddie, but it feels TERRIBLY in my face Christian to me.

Mind you - looking through as a result of this thread has also drawn my attention also to Botticelli's Venus in the Temperance card !

FaintlyMacabre

MissNine, you can always try a free reading with the Connolly deck, to see if you like it :) I found this website this morning. http://askthecards.info/tarot_card_decks/connolly_tarot_reading.shtml

(and actually - you can try reading with several decks on this website! Including the Morgan Greer.)

http://askthecards.info/tarot_card_decks/morgan-greer_tarot_reading.shtml

I could spend too much time there. I tried out several decks but did 2 readings with the Connolly and it was the only one that turned up with the "doves of the Holy Spirit" and mentioned God, and took a swing at fundamentalist and evangelistic religions. Two decks said lose my doctor but none told me where to find a new one :)

Diana

Freddie

The Connolly deck is Christian, but not in a dogmatic Catholic, Baptist, Methodist...etc... way. This is all I was trying to convey. This has went too off topic, so I will shut up about it.

Freddie

Zephyros

It might be mentioned that the RWS isn't a neutral deck, it follows Waite's own brand of Christian mysticism and is pretty blatant if you know what's what. As an extension the Morgan-Greer also follows this school of thought.

herself

That said, I do have an opinion on the morgan greer vs connolly :)

While the Connolly does suffer from a certain... blandification, I still have a bit of a soft spot for it (was my first deck). Morgan Greer is pretty in that 70s way, but I don't find it all that useable. I guess it probably boils down to which deck's imagery does it for you more. They are ultimately RWS clones, and so if you're happy with RWS you'll probably be happy with either of these, assuming the artwork isn't too off-putting.

I find the Connolly has a bit more detail to it, which I enjoy reading with. I think I've gone off the huge faces in the foreground style of deck, which doesn't really say a whole lot to me.

FaintlyMacabre

As far as saying Connolly was Catholic, I believe that was in reference to her books, not the deck so much.

However, I do wish I had noted which card came up on that site with the meaning that mentioned evangelistic and fundamentalist religions because that one was so very, very strange. I have to think that came from Connolly herself and would offend some people (if, indeed, they would use tarot at all). I have spent a fair amount of time trying to demystify tarot and point out that they are just cards , which can be used as tool, etc., and not necessarily for divination.

To find a meaning like that in one of the few decks that seems rather "Christian" is somewhat off-putting.

Most of the meanings were quite short and but a few were almost like they came from something else. I tried out a number of decks there and never got another meaning like that so I think it was specific to the Connolly.

Diana