My 5y/o LOVES my cards.

KSPisces

She calls them mommy's "story cards" and DAILY asks me if she can play with them.

She asks me to shuffle, then she flips them over one by one and tells me a story using the cards as prompts. Sure, the stories usually are about princesses and princes and kingdoms, but sometimes her insight amazes me.

The funny thing is, as her story progresses (after about 10 cards drawn), she'll know what card she wants, and will have me find it.

Today she requested the "Wheel of Everything" (Wheel of Fortune), the "Broken Heart Card" (3 of Swords) and the "Damsel in Distress Card" (8 of Swords). I have never referred to those cards by those names. She ended her story with "Happily Ever After" and pulled 10 of Pentacles, 6 of Cups and 10 of Cups and put them together in a fan.

I'm starting to wonder if I should ask her to give me some pointers. LOL!

I'd really like to get her a deck of her own, but I can't find the Whimsical Tarot (something I think she would LOVE) at a price within my budget.

Anyway... just thought I'd share. :) It's fun to watch her and listen to her spin stories.

214red

kids are soo much better then us at this lark, they just pull and say what they think...oh to be 5 again

cardlady22

The Whimsical is in production to be re-released. But, I know how hard it is to explain time to a little one . . . much less when the grown-ups don't have a set date yet.

Take a look at Lo Scarabeo's Tarot of White Cats ~ I just got the mini size deck.

214red

they are soo creative at that age, let her draw her own cards

afrosaxon

I love it! :D

There are a couple of folks on here who've had children (or relatives) give readings...and all of these children were under 10 years old.

I've had readings from Pippi's daughter, Satori's daughter "Wonder", and Fudugazi's nephew "Madam Irma"...and damn if they weren't spot on! :D

To be a child again...*sigh* :cool:

Encourage that gift, KS...there is so relatively little of it in the world. If you can't find her a tarot deck, maybe get her an oracle? "Wonder" and Pippi's daughter both read with oracles.

T.

Glass Owl

My 6 year old daughter likes the Medieval Cat deck but now she is really interested in the Universal Fantasy. She too likes to move the cards around so that they tell a story.

Manda

How fun for both of you!

I have a 13 year old with a Radiant, a Bohemian Gothic, a Quest, and an Archeon (he's 13 haha; he likes the dark ones). He is in every way, including as a reader, a 35 year old man trapped in his adolescent body.

I have a 9 year old with a penchant for dragon decks and animal oracles. He likes to lay the cards and recite what he sees as the best and worst quality of each. He then makes up scenarios to play out with those cards.

I have a 7 year old who loves all decks, and spreads any she is allowed to touch all over the table, talking to herself and making up stories, also, as she goes. She is the owner of Hertz's Faerie Tarot, a Whimsical, a Hello (I gave her these not realizing they were rare, but she has loved them well, so no matter), and she is making eyes at my MRP Fairytale (from my cold, dead hands, little girly!), as well as being the proud owner of anything Doreen Virtue given to me by those who don't know better for me.

sapienza

Manda said:
as well as being the proud owner of anything Doreen Virtue given to me by those who don't know better for me.

:laugh:

KSPisces, I think if you do a search you'll find quite a few threads about children and tarot, which include suggestions for decks suitable for kids. I'd search for you but I've got to rush off now to pick up my 5 year old from school. She also loves my cards and has her own Whimsical. She also loves my Halloween deck. I've got her the mini version in a tin but she doesn't know it yet.

Seafra

Googled and found books for the deck that are pretty cheap but didn't find any inexpensive decks.

My kids both scrunched their noses up at my deck when young. It's true -- not everyone cares for RWS artwork.

FloatingFeathers

My kids love my cards! My 5 year old son likes to "play cards". I had him go through the deck and tell me what he sees in them. The most facinating thing he said was for the 8 of Wands, he called them "Heaven Sticks". He didn't know why, just that they were heaven sticks. My 11 year old son is working on creating his own deck. I do not read for my children as I don't want them to "get stuck" on what the cards say, however, I do let them pick a card each day and read them the affirmations from Mary K. Greer's book "Tarot for Yourself". It doesn't matter which card they pick, Mary has a postive affirmation for each and every one of them that helps my older boys with their day.

Floating Feathers