My deck stinks!

hippiewitchie

Literally. I am now the proud owner of a lovely old deck that smells like it was stored in a musty basement for the last 30 years. Anybody got a sure-fire way to deodorize a deck?

I was thinking maybe bury it in a shoe box filled with baking soda or layer it with sheets of paper doused in patchouli....

hippiewitchie

Thanks! That helped alot!

My mom hated patchouli too, I prefer it mixed with orange EO mmmmmm... But I think I'll try baking soda first. Cool! Thanks again!

cardlady22

Depending on how bad it is, you might want to take it in stages. I agree with baking soda first. Leave it at least a week, maybe 2. But, I think people had pretty good results with cutting the dryer sheets and laying them between each card.

Dusk Till Dawn

First, wrap it up and stick it in the Freezer for a couple of days. Then if that didn't take it out, try the Baking Soda.

BrightEye

Wrap it up in what for the freezer? I have a stinky deck issue, too. And that's after 2 months of baking soda treatment.

rabid

I had a thread on this too, which offered some great suggestions:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=119613

I ended up putting the cards in with baking soda and dryer sheets, and every shaking it up every once in a while to make sure all the cards were getting the treatment. Then I used dryer sheets to wipe the baking soda off... although it was more of a frantic rub than a wipe. My cards now smell pleasantly like laundry. :)

Edit: Oh! and if regular baking soda isn't doing enough for you, ARM & HAMMER® Cat Litter Deodorizer has a bit more strength! Haven't used it on cards, but if it can keep the litter box fresh I'm sure it can handle tarot! And get the one with cartoon animals on the box, rather than actual animals - its apparently more effective.

FatesLady

Mm! Laundry cards! I might try this on a couple of my laminated decks. They smell like plastic, and it's gross. :p

morticia monroe

Charcoal should work as well (obviously the type not pre-treated with lighter fluid) and wont be as messy as the baking soda.

Spinner

Odor Improvement...

All my nonactive decks are stored in small (not tight) containers with a teabag filled w scented geranium leaves (spicy rose). I also throw in one of those little silicate packages that comes in a lot of medicine bottles. In a pinch, you could just try any teabag, tho herbal seems more appropriate.