My experience of the Star (long post)

Pipistrelle

I just wanted to share a recent experience I had that showed me a deeper meaning of the Star.

On Saturday I had to have an endoscopy. For those of you lucky enough to have no idea what that is, it's when they stick a tube with a tiny camera on the end down your throat and into your stomach to see what your insides look like ;)

I'd never had any kind of medical procedure before and was feeling a little bit anxious about what to expect, so a few days beforehand I did a reading using this spread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19788

The cards I got were The Star, Ace of Wands, 10 of Cups and 2 of Cups (Druidcraft). Overall, it was an extremely positive reading. As I'm just talking about the Star here though I'll ignore the others.

I looked at the Star card and saw the naked girl and felt this related to my fear of being vulnerable - having something done to me, not being in control, not knowing exactly what would happen. I have recently associated the Star card with the idea of a mother, stroking the head of her child, whispering "shhhh, everything will be all right" so as a result of this card in
particular, I felt much more relaxed about the procedure and knew that I needed to allow myself to be vulnerable and put myself in the capable hands of the nurses and doctors who do this sort of thing all the time.

However... ;)

On the day, things didn't go as smoothly as expected. You have a choice - you can either choose to have a local anaesthetic, basically a throat spray so you don't feel the tube; or, you can have a mild form of sedation, basically you won't remember a thing. Feeling reassured by the Star card, I chose to have the throat spray.

Unfortunately, I could feel the tube. I couldn't swallow. I could hardly breathe. It felt like I was choking. I completely panicked. I was coughing and sobbing and I can honestly say, at that time - which only lasted a few minutes - I felt like I was going to die.

The nurses were brilliant. One was holding my hand. One was stroking my head and reminding me to breathe, saying over and over, "deep breath in, deep breath out..." Without that, I don't think I would have managed to control myself. I did manage to breathe through the last minute or so. They wheeled me out, let me rest, said nice things, looked after me and gave me a cup of tea and a biscuit. :)

Afterwards, I tried to relate my experience back to the Star. Certainly, everything hadn't been "all right". It was probably one of the most traumatising experiences I've had. Yet, the Star was there, in the actions of the nurses and my husband, who was waiting outside and who also looked after me when I was a trembling mess afterwards.

It occurred to me that the Star isn't this kind of "everything will be rosy and bright" card, which perhaps I thought it was. Think about it - the Star comes out at night, in the darkness, in our darkest hours. When do we need the Star the most but in times of crisis. From its vantage point high up in the sky, the star can see the big picture. While we might be in the clutches of fear, unable to see a way out, the Star knows we will get out - scarred maybe, but okay and with potential for healing. When a teenage girl is broken hearted, the Star is her mother, stroking her head and saying everything will be all right, because although it isn't now, the mother knows another love will come along. The Star is our guiding light...but importantly, it is our guiding light when we have completely lost our way. I guess that's why it follows the Tower.

I'm sure lots of people here are going "well, duh...of course that's what the star means". But I've just found it, and it's wonderful.

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble :)

Pip

Little Baron

That is, without question, the best description of The Star card I have ever read!

I have always struggled with that card and reading that story really opened me up to it and gave it a good clear meaning. One that made much more sense than the usual vague 'hope' messages you get regurgitated through many books.

I hope you don't mind me copying your post into my journal. It is just perfect.

I hope you are feeling better now.

Best,
LB

Moongold

Pipistrelle ~

What a beautiful account of the star. The cards have much more meaning when aligned to personal experience!

Hope you are well now :).

Moongold

mingbop

pip, maybe it also meant that the result of the tests would be all right and nothing is to worry about...

Fulgour

It's now three years to the day I was in hospital for
three weeks and this was one they managed whilst
I was under sedation. They came at me both ways ;)

May you be well and have good health and happiness!

my_three_selves

I have always had a bit of trouble getting a strong sense of anything much from the star. Your story has helped me understand it a lot more.

I have often thought of the star as the presence of a guiding influence (relating back to the concept of navigation) and in this case the nurses were your guides to make sure you navigated successfully through the experience. When you felt like you were choking, they were there giving you the direction you required.

Pipistrelle

LittleBuddha - I'm glad my post was helpful. "Hope" was also the vague message I had attached to the Star not too long ago. I'm really glad I've been able to find deeper meaning in it.

Moongold - Thank you, I'm fine now. As soon as the procedure was over I was absolutely fine (apart from being a little trembly but that soon passed). I think that's why the Star card was so meaningful - it was traumatic but I was going to be fine. I just needed other people to get me through it.

Mingbop - Fortunately, they give you the results straight away and apparently I have a couple of non-serious things with fancy names that are perfectly normal so yes, I think that was also part of the meaning.

Fulgour - ouch...you have my sincerest sympathies :)

Thank you all for your concern. :)

Pip

Pipistrelle

my_three_selves said:
I have always had a bit of trouble getting a strong sense of anything much from the star. Your story has helped me understand it a lot more.

I have often thought of the star as the presence of a guiding influence (relating back to the concept of navigation) and in this case the nurses were your guides to make sure you navigated successfully through the experience. When you felt like you were choking, they were there giving you the direction you required.

You must have snuck in when I wasn't looking, my_three_selves! (Just replied to everyone else) ;) What an excellent way of looking at it. Certainly, I didn't feel like I was going to make it out. I will also add that to my notes, it makes complete sense in the circumstances :)

Pip

firemaiden

Pipistrelle, that was a very, very beautiful illustration of the meaning of the star. Thank you.

pastpass

Very informative and insightful thought about Star! Thank you for sharing it.