My first attempt

ninashita

I'm graduating this year from high school, hoping to get into art for post-secondary education, and so I decided to take and Advanced Placement course that -if successful- should earn me one or two university credits. For my admission, I have to prepare a portfolio of 25 original pieces, 12 of which are to be a "series" of related work in similar style/medium. I decided to do a tarot deck as one complete piece for the AP course and my portfolio for university as well. Although, I'll probably end up doing just the mayors for this project, I intend to finish the minors for my own personal satisfaction (and getting the know the cards better and having an excuse to go buy the expensive Prismacolor set of pencils doesn't hurt :)).

Surprisingly enough, I always thought I'd start with the Lovers or Death -my favorite cards; the first card I drew is the three of swords, which has been on my mind since... February?

I'm not 100% satisfied with the results, so I might re-do it in time. I checked the copyright of the bird picture I used for reference, and it can be used for personal and education purposes (not considering selling the thing, so it all should be good. I'll contact the photographer once it's time to send my work for examination though- doesn't hurt to be careful).

The bird is a gray catbird, which I found symbolizes new opportunities. Birds are also messengers and an "air animal." The heart is being pierced by the traditional swords, and it is all in a closed circle of what's supposed to be a Celtic knot : truth is being guarded, yet the swords are breaking from their shell, exposing it as it should be. The spirals and colours on the background are supposed to represent our mind patterns, ever changing and filled with information (some true, some not). The branch upon which the bird sits has a bittersweet flower, well, sometimes truth is bittersweet isn't it? Below it is a undersized Deathly Nightshade symbolizing lies. Truth will eventually triumph over lies. I see this card as receiving a message that breaks the "paranoia" of the two of swords, rather than betrayal. Sorrow, yes, no one wants to hear that they are fired or that their significant other doesn't return the feeling, but after the shock of finding out, of knowing, they are enabled to move on with their lives.
A while ago I read a statement that I attached with this card: Truth will set you free, but it will first piss you off.

Comments and critics, whether on meaning or on craft, are more than welcome and thanked for in advance :)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/bic_lapicera/Tarot/prev.gif

memries

I am no expert but the card looks just lovely to me. I really like your choice of colors and it gives me a feeling of hope which you need when down.
I will follow this thread and wish for all the very best for you in your
further development of cards.. Memries

Aulruna

Well, Lovers and Death can result in the 3 of Swords, can't they ;)
So maybe this card came to you as a kind of synthesis from your favourites!

I like your artwork a lot, but even more beautiful is the symbolism you chose. This is indeed special! Hope we'll see more of these soon!

tarot4fun

Aulruna said:
I like your artwork a lot, but even more beautiful is the symbolism you chose. This is indeed special! Hope we'll see more of these soon!
I'll second that!!!
You have put a lot of thought and study into this and your artwork is stunning~ :)

Blessings~
Suz :heart:

Debra

A lovely beginning.

Neely75

Wow, a beautiful beginning! I love the bird. It is obvious how much time has been spent in developing this card when I read all the symbolism you have chosen.

Congratulations on finishing your first card. I hope you will share more with us over time!

SarahRose

That's BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to see more!