My very first Oracle!! A few questions...

Frannie

Hi
I just bought the Fairy Ring Oracle, and though it hasn't yet arrived I find it breathtaking. It is my first Oracle. I read Tarot and have many tarot decks, but I've never worked with Oracles before, so I have no idea how they work, and I have a few doubts. Do oracles's divination work alike tarot? What are the differences? Do the cards have different meanings than tarot cards, and should I study the booklet? The Fairy Ring comes with a companion book with normal and reversed meanings, but I'm figuring if this meanings vary from Oracle deck to another... and what dpo you think of the Fairy Ring?
I would appreciate your answers :) thanks.

HearthCricket

Oracles definitely vary from one to another and do not follow any set pattern like tarot, unless perhaps you are using Lenormand decks and even those can vary to a certain extent, besides artwork.

Oracles are a whole new insight on things. Most certainly used for divination, as well as meditation, pathworking, spell-work, etc. I am a huge fan of the Fairy Ring Oracle. It will open up the world of faeries to you, good and bad, who to work with, who not to, the festivals and seasons and which ones are more apt to be seen at what time or situation. The book is excellent and most oracles also invite you to use some of their more creative spreads, though they can be used for any spread up to using all the cards. Each deck will have a different number of cards, as well, so you need to think outside the box when using an oracle.

Have fun with it! :)

Frannie

Thank you so much HearthCricket, that helped me clear my doubts! I just can't wait for it to arrive :D

6 Haunted Days

Oracles are completely different than Tarot....don't confuse yourself and think of them as any way related. As one point, Tarot for the most part has 78 cards...oracles anywhere from 22-200 cards! The Fairy Ring 64.

Just take them on their own merit. Usually oracles come with books, so that helps understanding it's system and meanings.

The Fairy Ring is one of my absolute favourite decks! Love the images and art. For a long time now I work extensively with the Otherworld/Underworld, Faery Realm. folktales, fairytales (but working with these in an intense spiritual way, there is encoded messages of ancient knowledge and magic in folk/fairytales!)....Faery Faith etc. And I find this deck spot on, comforting and filled with insightful wisdom which applies so personally to me.

So many times I've come to these cards when I am dire need of answers and comfort...and it's delivered everytime! It's a very personal, spiritual and intimate deck to me.....

Do you know a lot about actual faeries? I mean not the little winged victorian variety, but historical faeries? Do you have any familiarity with the 8 Sabbats or Holy Days? I only ask because if not or only a basic knowledge you should be prepared for a pretty steep learning curve, there's much info, history and ancient wisdom in this set!

faunabay

6 Haunted Days said:
The Fairy Ring is one of my absolute favourite decks! Love the images and art. For a long time now I work extensively with the Otherworld/Underworld, Faery Realm. folktales, fairytales (but working with these in an intense spiritual way, there is encoded messages of ancient knowledge and magic in folk/fairytales!)....Faery Faith etc. And I find this deck spot on, comforting and filled with insightful wisdom which applies so personally to me.

So many times I've come to these cards when I am dire need of answers and comfort...and it's delivered everytime! It's a very personal, spiritual and intimate deck to me.....
You find the Fairy Ring COMFORTING? Whoa! LOL

That's the oracle I go to when I want smacked in the face with an answer - or in turn, don't go to if I want the answer given gently.

Now don't get me wrong...I absolutely love the Fairy Ring, would never get rid of mine! But comforting????? That's not a word I would use for it IMO.

But again everyone's different and has their own experiences. That's what I love about this world!! :)

faunabay

Anyway franniee, like HearthCricket and 6HD have said, oracles are nothing like tarot - other than they're both a bunch of artwork on cards. Oracles have no basic layout like tarot does. Oracles are kind of what I consider free-for-alls. Anything goes. So each one you have to take on it's own merit like 6HD says.

The Fairy Ring is a wonderful deck! I absolutely love mine. I use mine in conjunction with the Froud's Faeries Oracle sometimes. But I have found I need to always use the book with this oracle. And this is the only one I do that with. Most of the others, once I've gotten used to them the book just goes on the shelf. But with the Fairy Ring I always use the book. I just get soooo much more information that way.

And I don't usually use reversals - it's just the way I usually work, but with the Fairy Ring I found it doesn't make very much sense if I don't use them. So with this deck, like using the book, I found I needed to use reversals.

The Fairy Ring is just one of those decks I found out the things that usually work for me with other decks I had to change with this one. (shrug) So oracles to me are much more of a experiement and see what works best for you. Tarot's like that to a certain extent, but with oracles you almost have to do that. That's what I like about them....the freedom!

6 Haunted Days

faunabay said:
You find the Fairy Ring COMFORTING? Whoa! LOL

That's the oracle I go to when I want smacked in the face with an answer - or in turn, don't go to if I want the answer given gently.

Now don't get me wrong...I absolutely love the Fairy Ring, would never get rid of mine! But comforting????? That's not a word I would use for it IMO.

But again everyone's different and has their own experiences. That's what I love about this world!! :)

Yep....comforting!!! :laugh: I think it has a lot to do with my faith being so heavily involved with the Feary Realm....after all so many of the faeries are just ancient Gods and Goddess's!

That's what I love about oracles and tarot as well, we each bring to them our total selves...so each persons experience of them is so unique and personal.

LadySquee

Sorry to bring this topic back up, but I wanted a place to gush about this Oracle, too!

MY birthday was yesterday and my friend who is interested in Tarot but I would say not to the same degree as I am, got me the Fairy Ring Oracle kit. I'm so excited to learn about it! From a quick go through of the cards, besides the 4 suits, I see it's really different from Tarot, so it's going to take some getting used to.

Thanks for this topic!

AJ

we don't mind if you re-invigorate an old thread, it's much nicer than 14 threads about the same thing, all 2 posts long :)
Frannie, what do you think of your Fae now?

I love oracles!

Frannie

I absolutely ADORE it! I have not yet learned all the upright and reversed meanings, but my gosh it is accurate and the pictures are just... breathtaking!
I do a reading for myself once in a while, I tried a spread on past present future and oh my I was stumped!!

You'll love it as much as I do LadySquee ;) And AJ, thank you for asking me how is my expierence with this lovely Oracle! I just love it!