Myers Briggs & the court cards

JBerry

Within the year, I'm certain that I read a review for a NEW book about how the Myers Briggs personality types correspond to the court cards. I made a mental note to pick it up when I had time to study.

Now I can't find it anywhere. I've googled extensively and searched here on AT. No luck. Am I going crazy? Did I dream it? Or have you also read this review or know about this book?

It's a fascinating subject. Rather than laboriously working out these correspondences on my own, I would love to read this book.

JBerry

???

Thanks so much for replying. I've been aware of this book in the making.

I'm quite sure that what I read was a review of an already published book, but I could be wrong. Needless to say, I do eagerly await this one!

When I took the test, I was amazed by how well my 'type' described me. This seems like such a great way to gain more insight into the court cards.

I see that you are a relatively recent poster, so welcome. I have found AT to be a wonderful resource full of helpful people.

Requiella

Relating the Tarot to MBTI is a topic I've been interested in for a while now, so I'm always on the lookout for this sort of thing myself. A few weeks ago, I purchased _Discovering Your Self Through the Tarot_ by Rose Gwain:

http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Y...4128/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329167181&sr=8-1

Although I haven't yet read the entire book yet, I'll give a quick review of my impressions so far.

The positive:

-- She relates thinking, feeling, intuition, and sensation to the four traditional Tarot suits. Her primary theoretical framework is a superimposition of these four functions onto the court cards (either queen or king, for adults).

-- There's a court card quiz that you can take that will give you feedback on which function you identify with most strongly, and therefore which court card you identify with.

(N.b., To the critics of this kind of activity--I realize the potential trap of oversimplification involved in identifying oneself as, for example, a "king of pentacles," but as Gwain points out, it's important to keep in mind that each of us is a mixture of these functions, and personally, I think it *is* a mistake to take such a point of view too literally or to too much of an extreme. Rather than finishing the quiz and saying, "I'm a queen of cups," a more reasonable or useful conclusion might be, "I'm more comfortable with intuition, as personified by the queen of cups, than with some other functions, but I use them all. So, I can perhaps relate better to what is symbolized by the queen of cups, in terms of my overall personality or type, than to what is symbolized by other court cards.")

The negative:

-- This book doesn't deal only with function preference, but also the Qabalah. Of course, this isn't objectively a negative, but it is for *me*, given that I'm not really interested in Qabalah. To me, this makes the book a little too "busy;" I wish that she had instead focused exclusively on typology and treated this with a bit more depth.

The mixed:

-- I took the quiz, and although the amount of information it gives you is much less (i.e., only your order of preference of the four functions as opposed to a 4-letter type), my results mapped on fairly well to my MBTI. The only inconsistency: Pretty much every time I've ever taken the MBTI (and I've taken the full test a couple of times), Keirsey Temperament Sorter, or anything similar, my type tests as INTP. But, on Gwain's quiz, "intuition" was my strongest preference. This isn't *necessarily* an inconsistency, but the way Gwain discusses preference, secondary functions, extroversion-introversion, etc., according to her test, I'm more of an INTJ. (However, fwiw, my P preference has always been very slight, so...)

nemodomi

I see that you are a relatively recent poster, so welcome. I have found AT to be a wonderful resource full of helpful people.

Thanks for the welcome, JBerry. I love this place!

I've searched further. Only one book came up as a result of typing { tarot mbti } into the "keywords" field of Amazon's advanced book search page. Though it's relatively new (2009), I doubt it's the book you're thinking of, especially as the section that discusses the "Face Cards" (as the book terms them) is confined to pages 214-244. Regardless, one can review many of these pages via Amazon's "Search inside this book" feature (and then enter "mbti" into the search field on the resultant page); at first glance, the material appears to be decent food for thought. For example, two charts (a la Linda Gail Walters') (pp. 218 and 228) are presented (and discussed), neither of which is identical to that of Ms. Walters!

Unearthing the Lost Tarot (Beanu) (available from lulu.com in PDF format for $10!)

Thanks for starting this thread; I look forward to the possibility of others finding additional resources for this fascinating topic.

-- Ken

annabel398

Kate Warwick-Smith's book on court cards has MBTI correspondences, including a little cheat sheet insert on cardstock for handy reference!

sapienza

I found the article at Association of Tarot Studies by Jean-Michel David to be excellent. You can find it here. There may be a link for it in that thread mentioned earlier but I didn't have time to go through the whole thing.

bogiesan

All fascinating reading.
About twenty years ago, I was forced to undergo a Meyers-Briggs evaluation along with all of my coworkers, the members of a highly dysfunctional public relations department. The individual who ran the session was a loathesome human being, a woman selling snake oil solutions to complex managerial, human resources and time management issues. Her inability to adquately explain MBTI and to prepare us for what was to come left a lasting and devastating impression on all of us. When we were presented with the the findings of the questionnaires, we were informed this is who we really really really were. And then she went on to tell us all about our faults and how we were killing each other and our boss and destroying our work group.

By the second day of this abuse I offered up the opinion I could have assayed us with just as much accuracy and credibility if I had simply brought my tarot pack. And I could have saved everyone a lot of time and money.

It was a terrible experience, everything about this woman was wrong and mean. And it has left me thinking only ill of MBTI.

annabel398

My sweetheart had an MBTI-style class at work once, where they said:

NTs are Spock
SPs are Kirk
SJs are Scotty
NFs are McCoy

I wish they held classes like that where I work...!