Need help understanding elemental dignities.

Fostha

Would anyone be able to help with elemental dignities and these 3 cards please? :confused:
Cards pulled were 8wands~Hierophant~Queen swords,now the question/cards looked really good to me,however I'm just unsure of how to look at them using ED.Mods I'm not wanting interpretations on the reading,I simply want to understand whether there a good combo of cards using ED too,could anyone offer any ideas or help me out with this please? Thanks.:)

prettypiscesmom

Hi.... I'm just starting to study ed as well..... (as in two days ago lol)

check out this site

supertarot.co.uk

HTH

love and light....

casia

8 of w is fire, Hierophant is earth, queen of s is air

8 of w is strong with queen of s, fire is friendly to earth, earth and air cancel eachother out so my interpretation is (according to ED) that the strongest cards you have are the 8 of w and the Q of S. The Hierophant is not cancelled because fire and earth are friendly, but it isn't a strong card in the reading.

The queen is ready to jump into action, and do the right thing.

Just a thought!!!1

rwcarter

You have a Fire/Earth/Air combination.

Fire and Air are friendly while Earth and Air are enemies. Fire and Air are urging Earth (a passive card) into an action that won't last for long as Earth is left behind by the Fire/Air combination.

I never liked the neutral elements are friendly towards one another aspect of EDs because that gives two friendly interactions and one unfriendly interaction for each element, which seems unbalanced to me. So I leave the neutral interactions as neutral, letting the particular situation determine whether the neutral interaction stays neutral, becomes friendly or turns unfriendly.

So the way I would interpret that combo is that the Earth card is probably butting heads with the Air card. Whether or not that's a good thing depends on the question and interpretations because sometimes adversity brings growth and needed change. The Fire card is probably an observer to the action between Earth and Air, although it may get involved.

In an ABC triad, I very rarely look at the AC interaction as is normally done with EDs and only look at AB and BC.

Rodney

omnislashed

Elemental dignities can be tricky, because people have varying systems. (Example: Some people believe that water and earth create viscid mud; others believe they're friendly and neutral.)

With the system I personally use (and I normally use Thoth), air and earth are hostile. Earth and fire are neutral, but the energy is more physically oriented. So in the cards you've listed, the Hierophant and the Queen of Swords are ill-dignified; the Eight of Wands, as casia mentioned, is your strongest card. That energy is being untampered with, but there's a conflict in your central card due to the Queen's Swordsy influence.

I've pretty much repeated what others have said, but yeah.

rwcarter

omnislashed said:
Elemental dignities can be tricky, because people have varying systems. (Example: Some people believe that water and earth create viscid mud; others believe they're friendly and neutral.)
Yeah, to confuse the issue, in equal proportions Water and Earth can make mud, but a little bit of Water can soften dry Earth and a lot of Water can submerge Earth. A lot of Fire will burn away Water and a lot of Water will put out Fire; but in equal proportions, the two combine to make steam. That's why I don't like the black and white Fire/Water and Earth/Air are enemies while Fire/Air and Earth/Water are friendly. (Although to be fair, the rule is that Fire/Air and Earth/Water are friendly are good or ill.)

Rodney

omnislashed

Yeah, to confuse the issue, in equal proportions Water and Earth can make mud, but a little bit of Water can soften dry Earth and a lot of Water can submerge Earth. A lot of Fire will burn away Water and a lot of Water will put out Fire; but in equal proportions, the two combine to make steam. That's why I don't like the black and white Fire/Water and Earth/Air are enemies while Fire/Air and Earth/Water are friendly. (Although to be fair, the rule is that Fire/Air and Earth/Water are friendly are good or ill.)
Yeah, I agree. It makes the elemental dignity system appear rather ... arbitrary. When I was a beginner, I applied hard-and-fast, rigidly structured "laws" about the dignity system, and it often complicated matters. Now I consider the entire spread, using flexibilities in terms of how the elements interact. It's a matter of degree, the strength of the cards themselves (Majors versus minors; Courts alongside "early" minors, Tens side-by-side, whichever). This actually seems more complicated, but I've been managing pretty well with it. I don't use reversals, so I have to rely heavily on intuition (coupled with objectivity) here. But mileage may vary.