4 of cups

AmethystEyes

Would you see this as can't stop thinking about or isn't on their mind.

Nytebugg

it would strictly depend on which deck I had. RWS...i'd say over thinking on it. They had fun in the three of cups and now the fourth could be tempting but is it worth it. Lots of thinking emotionally on rather or not moving forward is a good thing.

Parasphere

I was wondering about this one, too. He seems down/ upset/ lost in thought. He looks like he doesn't want to accept the offer (or maybe he's too lost to even SEE it?)

katherine410

I haven't been reading for long, but I see this card as the person in question being deep in thought, sort of looking inward emotionally....contemplating and questioning whether or not they should accept what's being offered

MariaPeea

Yup, totally depends on the deck. In the Lovers Path the woman in the 4 of cups looks completely dissatisfied (and maybe even a little miserable) with what she has, and is dreaming of something better. In my Paulina tarot, the woman has her arms crossed, her head turned and her nose up -she's like, blatantly refusing the fourth cup. So, in that sense I either read it as rejecting an emotion or being totally stubborn about it.

PAMUYA

DevilishAngel said:

Success mixed with anxiety, so yes you can't stop thinking about what ever it is. Taking things for granted, already have what you need, but think or dream for more.

alannavol

Yep, I would also say it depends on the deck, as different decks seem to emphasize different aspects of this card. For example, in my beloved Anna.K the meaning is very clear: having too much. In the card, a wealthy man is sitting at a table full of delicious food, and his servants are bringing more to the table. The guy, however, looks very dissatisfied. Maybe he's got too much - or maybe he's got a lot, but not the particular thing he wants the most.

So, if I was using this deck, I'd totally say "can't stop thinking about it". With Rider-Waite, however, it could also mean "isn't on their mind" or "doesn't even realize it", as has already been discussed.

If I was going by Kabbalistic associations, I would also say "can't stop thinking about it". 4 is a number of order and structure, and the element of Water (emotions) doesn't really like being structured. It's in its nature to move and flow freely. When you're totally overthinking something, you're often trying to impose a structure over your emotions and thoughts, you're restricting them by thinking too much - something that won't lead to satisfaction, just further frustration.

Inana

DevilishAngel said:
I would say is on their mind, but he/she is not appreciating or considering it.

4C is about being absorved in oneself and feeling a little depressed since nothing seems to hold enough interest to make a decision or take an action.

Is a card of apathy and dissatisfaction. It feels like being drained, with no energy or motivation to think clearly about the problem and move on.

Well, that's how I see it anyway. Stagnant waters end rotten, and this 4 is about held feelings or even tears.

An interesting view on this card, if you have the RWS, comes if you put the Knight of cups next to the four. The knight is offering the cup (a dream, an opportunity) and the guy on the four isn't even looking at him. But I'm sure that with the peripheral vision, he is able to see that flying cup.

Inana

alannavol said:
Maybe he's got too much - or maybe he's got a lot, but not the particular thing he wants the most.
This is a really good point.

littlestar

I would say it is on their mind and it's troublling them to the point they dont want to open up to anyone to help them or just share their load with them.