New and a tad confused..

Maryann

its talked about revered cards in a few places but im a tad confused, if you keep them the same way and you shuffled the cards with them in one direction how do they get reversed? am i shuffling them wrong?

Thirteen

Maryann said:
its talked about revered cards in a few places but im a tad confused, if you keep them the same way and you shuffled the cards with them in one direction how do they get reversed? am i shuffling them wrong?
Welcome, Maryann! There are a lot of threads on reversals and you can find them in this area here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15119

It's under the "Special Techniques" area.

First, let me say that I don't recommend you dive into reversals until you feel confident with reading up-right cards. It's hard enough for newbies to absorb 78 meanings and learn how to read them in a spread. Add to that 78 reversed meanings read in a spread along with the uprights...well, that can get overwhelming. So make sure you're confident about reading uprights before you take on more work.

I will also add that using reversals is a choice. You don't have to use them if you don't want to, or don't feel they're necessary. Some of us use reverals all the time, some of us use them some of the time, some of us never use them. There are even some decks that will tell you "don't use reverals with this deck!" while others are made for reversals (The recent Revelations deck, for example).

As you point out, if you keep them the same way, you won't get reversals. In order to get reversals, you have to decide to turn some around in the shuffle, at least once. So you cut the deck in half and turning one half around. Then shuffle. And if you want, cut and turn part of the deck again. Do this a few times and your deck will be filled with random reversals.

Maryann

thanks for the reply and the kind welcome.
so its a matter of choice for reversed cards rather than by coincidence.

Dwaas

Hello Maryann,

Yep it is only a matter of choice. For example, I hardly use reversals. The one and only reason is that I like plain answers. If you were to use reversals, now or in future, you will find out that most of the time you can not just reverse the card's meaning. The changes are much more subtile. Most of the time you will get new insights with a lot of nuance. I prefer to keep the nuance for the conversation after a spread. I feel like it leaves more possibilities for the querants if they look for these nuances themselves. Even a hundred thousands cards cannot be as imagenary and strong as men's mind. Eighty seven cards imho should be enough to trigger that process. But I can imagine at the same time why people would use reversals. It could save a lot of time, and point straight away to the specific matter itself, instead of thinking, guessing and discussing. And 78 times 78 gives so much more possibilities in an outcome, and can be also very challenging and interesting for the reader. So it depends on you what you feel comfortable with. Lots of fun and succes!

Blessings

Zephyros

I myself never use reversals. I have never really "seen" it, and I don't like them. But theere are many people who do use them, and it is amtter of coice. A friend of mine uses them quite well, and she has given me great readings with them. I judge the cards by surrounding cards, and I need to I lay out more cards on top of them, to see how they are "dignified".