New Book: Origins of the Tarot, Dai Léon

Paul

After much delay, this tome arrived by mail subsequent to my pre-order.
It appears to be an recondite and rich exploration of how the Tarot exemplifies a confluence of East and West wisdom traditions.

Perhaps a dialogue will start on his ideas.

Patrick Booker

I have a copy arrived in the post recently too, and will make comments when I have read it.

beanu

Dai is lurking around the forum...

rachelcat

A Study Guide Work in Progress

I was a little (ok, a LOT) frustrated by the lack of (unnecessary complication of?) organization in this book. Illustrations of cards with their captions, and text boxes featuring the oxherding pictures, are scattered randomly throughout the book with no obvious connection to the text they are adjacent to. The beautiful chapter headings (illustrated with Visconti and Este majors) likewise seem to have little to do with their respective chapters. So I made myself little study guide, and I thought I’d share.

The attached chart is the result of reading the Chapter One about three times, as well as skimming the margin illustrations and captions, chapter heading captions, oxherding pictures boxes, and Chapter Nine (a card-a-page summary with keywords).

A brief summary of Leon’s philosophical take on the tarot majors:

Using a “non-standard” (non-Marseille, non-RWS) majors order, which has some historic precedent, he posits ten stages of spiritual development of two cards each, with the Fool and Magician as the ‘Questors” that follow the stages.

There are two most important organizing ideas of this stage theory. The first is the non-standard position of Justice as the next-to-final card, which, along with the final card, World, is the tenth, highest spiritual stage, associated with the Way, the Truth, the Tao, Dharma, universal Law, natural law.

The second idea is that the stages are in two groups: Stages 1 - 6 (before Death) and Stages 7 - 10 (after Death). (Stages 7 - 10 are elaborated upon in Chapter One. That’s why my chart has some empty spaces for Stages 1 - 6. I don’t know if information to fill these in will be forthcoming in the rest of the book.) Leon associates Stages 8 - 10 with trinities of various philosophies, myths, and religions of the world.

As to the origins of the tarot, a more detailed historical narrative is upcoming in Chapters Two through Eight (which I haven’t read yet). It looks like a speculative mix of Mamluks, Venice, Sufi masters, the Eastern Empire and Church, Templars, and tantra. Could be interesting!

I hope you find the chart helpful.

Attachments

• Origins of the Tarot table.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 272

Paul

I find your chart helpful, indeed. And I cannot help but ask, frustratingly, why Léon did not offer such a chart or any other better visual aids, for that matter, to organize his ideas.

I consider myself to be an erudite guy, but this book is miring me in such micro-detail that the forest is lost for the trees ! It reads more as a graduate thesis, with the author proving so many points (major and minor) with such exhausting explanation and erudition, that I am starting to glaze over.

He has these little card images of the majors (from the deck he considers the seminal or touchstone Tarot, but which would have been better to choose a more recognizable deck for visual aid/teaching purposes, especially as some of the card samples from that deck are not even visible due to its antiquity), and then provides a little caption underneath each as an explanation of its spiritual meaning. Reading these captions, I am sometimes thinking, "have I lost my intellectual mojo? Am I drunk? I cannot for the life of me really understand what he just said there." Then, I wonder, "do I not understand what the caption means, because I am in fact a spiritual infant?"

Now on Chapter Four...still trying to get the point. I cannot believe his publisher/editor didn't say, "Sir, you are an erudite man, no question, but we are publishing a book for the public here, speak to your audience". As a man myself with an advanced, graduate degree, this is a lesson I had to learn years ago when writing...it's not about dumbing down your message, it's about being clear when considering your audience.

On the positive, I am enjoying his theories.

rachelcat

My thoughts, exactly. As I was reading, I was thinking, hey, I'm a pretty good reader, and the book is pretty well written, so why am I not getting it??!!

(If you want to teach something complicated, it's probably better to explain it clearly than jump around!)

For better pictures of the (small, partial) majors in the margins, see my post in the advertisement forum.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=120480

Good luck with your continued reading!

Asher

Thanks!

Thanks for the chart, rachelcat!!

Because of the book's size, I decided not to bring it with me on vacation. So I will begin reading in earnest when I arrive home tomorrow.

Asher

Patrick Booker

I am up to page 370, and I can only echo what other readers have said. So much is being presented at once, and a lot of it is very interesting, but a few detailed appendices would have made it clearer.

There is a strong philosophical underpinning, and it is different to the approaches of occult tarot with its links to the Tree of Life ('dualistic').

I was going to post a link to Robert Place's Metropolitan/Budapest images, but it looks like you got there first, Rachelcat. The table was helpful, thanks.

Cerulean

Oswald Wirth with eyes to the East, two steps beyond...

I cheated and went to the back section where the majors illustrated and the text summaries gave me more of a grasp of why he wrote this much... I was at a loss at first of his goals.

Perhaps because my reading eyes were looking for fresh and in-period references to Ferrara-based art and poetry when the subject came up, I was slightly diisappointed. Then I figured his overall take was quite general. A reinterpretation of tarot through different eyes.

My thoughts were his spiritual path that influenced his take on the tarot and I would need to read more closely to find why he felt motivated to bring his ideas to light. I remember thinking great bibliography of each chapter.
My take of his thoughts right now is very general and likely very flawed. I think as a broad scope of late twentieth to early twenty-first century ways of looking at tarot, or historical art, through backward glances and interdisciplinary studies. His work would be for those who like such integrations of wonderous spiritual truths.
I kept thinking of various tarot histories or meditative associations written about the majors by Oswald Wirth, Manly Hall, Rachel Pollack, Gareth Knight//Dion Fortune, Paul Huson, Robert Place...the difference being the visual tarot samples for reader meditation and the authors' own conclusions. My own thought at first was he was leading one to a cheery focus of how 'universal' these tarot symbols can be--even if the nonstandard order he chose of the various regional patterns are analyzed romantically with spiritual envisioning.
Oswald Wirth and Manly Hall wrote and rewrote simply--or at least they had great editors. I am not forgetting Manly Hall actually prepared his work for oral presentation. I also think I was spoiled because the often-quoted broad summaries of Renaissance history by Burkehardt and great translations of Dante Algheri was so simple to read with good teachers.
I will keep the book for differing slants on tarot archetypes. Unfortunately have to take really small bites of his thoughts and remember he's not doing a Dummett and Decker presentation or a more focused grasp such as R.Place or P. Huson.
(Subject to edits later)

Cerulean

Christine

Two responses to both the book and the comments so far:

1) While consulting with my ex-editor (since retired after a catastrophic illness, thus the MS is in pause mode), I was informed that "the average reader these days won't buy a Tarot book if they can see that the book departs from the OGD system. Therefore, if you want people to actually think about your ideas, you have to embed them in the text rather than lay them out in a graph". I was floored, but it's true. At this point, if a book for the Tarot market doesn't support the market leader, it languishes on the bookstore shelves.

I find this paradoxical. One reason that magic arose out of the hidden pages
of private grimoires and began to pierce into the collective mind is because ideas that had been "hidden" in reams of text began to be graphed, imaged, and tabulated into very concentrated presentations for the first printed books. People figured that if these images and calligraphic renderings of spirits, planetary deities and demons were mass-printed, then they wouldn't be "potentized", as they were when sketched by hand or illuminated like the old royal Books of Hours. That's what made the printed Tarot cards seem less scary too -- because they were knockoffs rather than bespoke originals.

We have reached the flip side of the coin. Now, if one's work of history doesn't instantly and demonstrably match the 20th century "revised" packs, it is cast aside as too complicated, incomprehensible and inaccessible. Leon is even advised to give up his affection for the earliest cards, indeed he is to consider modifying his theory to make it conformable to the RWS pack or some other modern best-seller. It's the classic cry of "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts!"

Yes, Leon writes circularly. He's trying to help the reader reweave their assumptions, working his way around and around the ideas, as if he were climbing a 10-story tower by way of a spiral staircase of 22 steps per floor. Leon is supplying the steps as you read, carrying you through the pattern and letting you witness the organic interrelatedness of every layer. Perhaps it does give the book a rather more mystical, contemplative, spiritually resonant tone, but is this really a problem? My feeling as I was reading it was "He's writing from the musical, artistic, mystical side of his brain". The idea is (hopefully) to evoke a response from that same side of the reader's brain. Isn't that traditionally the side from which the Oracle speaks, after all?

2) Here's a quote from another respected Perrennialist to give a sense of the attitude, or perhaps altitude, pervading a work like Dai Leon's. This comes from John Michell's fascinating 'Dimensions of Paradise', p. 204. He's talking about the medieval presentations that show Adam Kadmon or First Man at the center of a divinized cosmos, the way the 'Melothesic man' image divides out the human body around the 12 signs of the Zodiac:

"Acceptance of human nature as a true standard (a concept bravely but briefly revived by Pelagius in the fifth century) does not of course imply that any of one of its manifest examples is perfect of infallible. Just as the forms of nature -- the rose, the crystal and so on -- reflect an ideal symmetry which no individual among them ever achieves, so it is with humanity. In deriving all the forms of nature from ideal, unmanifest prototypes, traditional philosophy reverses the evolutionists' notion of human ascent from lower creatures and inculcates the opposite myth, that we are descendants from a divine creation and may properly aspire to re-enter the primeval paradise."

Along these lines, Leon is trying to acquaint his readers with a traditional internal symmetry informing the '22 faceted gem' of the Trumps. He's not saying that anybody else's system is "wrong", but he's asserting an insight that is organic to the times in which Tarot appeared. The message seems clear -- the classic Decave Mysticism of the Ancients (along the lines of Platonic , Pythagorean, and Kabbalistic 10-based number theory) is ancient, vastly widespread and evident within the Tarot Trumps as well. In the course of connecting the dots, Leon draws correspondences to the range of staged "return to Origin" myths being cross-referenced in the milieu of the Tarot Trumps' first appearance. He's not taking any mytho-poetic leaps of faith here, only noting the overlaps between documented traditions and the fascinating way those interdisciplinary values found their way onto the Tarot trumps.

It seems to me that Leon is responding to a long-recognized need in the study of Tarot; the need to catologue Tarot's antecedents across the multiple cultures that contributed to it. He's not trying to elucidate what the Trumps mean "in a spread; in a divinatory application with a modern pack". Instead his goal is to bring forward the chains of linked ideas we have inherited from Antiquity, which over centuries distilled and eventuated into the Trumps.

Nor is this work to be compared to the more romanticized presentations of our Tarot forefathers (Wirth, Levi, Etteilla etc.) because Leon's conclusions rest on conclusions derived from modern scholarly research. (Our Tarot elders had, in contrast, the records of the Lodges and Orders, plus the dusty shelves of the university collections and antique book dealers for their archives.) In the course of reading Leon's book, one might encounter ideas that sound like echos of old Tarot myths-of-origin, but that doesn't make them wrong! It might be possible that our elders were actually onto something that the 20th century Tarot revisionists obscured.

My suspicion is that readers who are unwilling or unable to suspend their culturally-constructed disbelief long enough to envision the Tarot from this deeper, older angle are probably using their cards at a different level than the one Leon is speaking to/from. I don't see Leon's book written in the style of a diatribe, against which to react and with which to content. More, it's a long meditation on the Ancient Tradition, as revealed through the interior logic structuring the oldest expressions of the Tarot Trumps. The reader might have a more coherent experience of reading this book once they understand that Leon sees the Trumps being formed in the mold of Tradition, rather than the other way around.