New Crowley Biography?

Teheuti

I found a blog that had this story about British pronounciation that may refer to the comment roppo made about Bottomley/Bumley:

"I remember reading a story once about the British MP, journalist, financier and convicted crook Horatio Bottomley. He called at the home of a peer by the name of Lord Cholmondely, and the door was answered by the snooty butler. Bottomley asked if his lordship was available, pronouncing the peer's name as it is written. The butler replied that "Lord Chumley" was unavailable.

"Very well", Bottomley replied. "Tell him Horatio Bumley called, there's a good chap."
http://gerryosullivan.blogspot.com/2006/08/tough-trough-coming-through-though.html

roppo

Oh, thank you very much, Teheuti, barleywine, laura-borealis, gregory, Ross, and Babalon Jones. I come to respect biographers who read original letters, diaries etc and construct people's lives vividly :D

For your information I'll upload the envelope which the letter was in. I think it won't make a privacy problem to show the address of Mrs Wieland as this was almost 100 years ago thing. The envelope is rather small in size (120mm*93mm).

http://yaneurabeya.blogspot.jp/2012/04/anyone-can-read-it.html

I read in Perdurabo that the Wielands were very passionate lovers. It seems Mrs Wieland was sent to a hospital when she collapsed hearing the death of her husband.

Thank you again friends!

Aeon418

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but it looks like 'you know who' is about to be raised from the dead once more in yet another biography.

http://www.amazon.com/Aleister-Crowley-Magick-Wickedest-World/dp/0399161902

Aleister Crowley: Magick, Rock and Roll, and the Wickedest Man in the World by Gary Lachman.

Release date: April 17, 2014

This definitive work on the occult’s “great beast” traces the arc of his controversial life and influence on rock-and-roll giants, from the Rolling Stones to Led Zeppelin to Black Sabbath.

When Aleister Crowley died in 1947, he was not an obvious contender for the most enduring pop-culture figure of the next century.

But twenty years later, Crowley’s name and image were everywhere. The Beatles put him on the cover of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. The Rolling Stones were briefly serious devotees.

Today, his visage hangs in goth clubs, occult temples, and college dorm rooms, and his methods of ceremonial magick animate the passions of myriad occultists and spiritual seekers.

Aleister Crowley is more than just a biography of this compelling, controversial, and divisive figure—it’s also a portrait of his unparalleled influence on modern pop culture.

Grigori

That is an intriguing angle, I'd be curious to read it

gregory

Wow ! Sounds fascinating.

Zephyros

I have some misgivings, not because I know anything about the book, but because of the very nature of rock stars like the Rolling Stones. It would be the easiest thing in the world to say they were all hooked on heroine because of Crowley.

Still, if he did play in Blondie, at least he comes from that world.

ravenest

I am not familiar with his work ... but I see he has a book on Steiner ... that might be interesting too.