New Custom Tarot Deck Sales Tool

gregory

No - I'd not go that far., Anyone who wants to use playing cards can use a regular deck and doesn't have to go to a divination section to find one. We are talking about very DIFFERENT decks here.

'Divination decks', sub-categorized 'Tarot', 'Lenormand' and 'Oracle' would work for me...

tarotbear

No - I'd not go that far., Anyone who wants to use playing cards can use a regular deck and doesn't have to go to a divination section to find one. We are talking about very DIFFERENT decks here.

'Divination decks', sub-categorized 'Tarot', 'Lenormand' and 'Oracle' would work for me...

Yeah, I agree with you (TB & gregory agree on something!) - we'll have to see what JT thinks of that - because it would work and cause the least amount of confusion. Separating them might also make future deck designers more curious about publishing through TGC.

garmonbozia

I agree too, mostly.

Only issue I see is that there are some tarots on GameCrafter designed to be used only for tarot games. It doesn't seem right to put these under "Divination decks" and it also doesn't seem right to split tarot into two sections either.

tarotbear

I hate over-simplifying, but in most people who will be looking through what is available in TGC - 'Tarot is Tarot is Tarot' - and if we start to split hairs twice we will be labeled as 'those Damn picayune Tarotists'.

Yes - there are a few Tarot decks on TGC that do not deserve the title 'Tarot Deck' - I wrote a review about one of them, but we are tending to look at this as the Tarotists we are, and not a member of the general public. It is up to the buyer to decide if a particular deck is 'a REAL Tarot deck' or someone's 'Vaguely-Tarot-named vanity Card Game' ...

Remember - many people buy Tarot decks for their artwork; whether it's a REAL Tarot or 'Faux Tarot' will make no difference to the art buyer.

Laura Borealis

I agree too, mostly.

Only issue I see is that there are some tarots on GameCrafter designed to be used only for tarot games. It doesn't seem right to put these under "Divination decks" and it also doesn't seem right to split tarot into two sections either.

I like seeing those in the tarot section, though. After all, tarot started out as a game in medieval Italy, and it's interesting to see modern games that incorporate it. Also, some of those might turn out to be decent reading decks.

The only issue I have with the way tarot is presented on Game Crafter, is that you have to keep hitting the "Load More Games" button. Then when you click on a deck to look at it, and click back, you're taken back to the top of the list, and have to scroll your way down (load more games, load more games) until you're back to where you were.

The only way around this is to right-click and open each deck in a new tab. Which is fine, but it would be more convenient if the back button just took you back to where you were.

I haven't seen all the decks in the catalog because of this, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

The Game Crafter

Same Question Same Result

This is the result I got the last time I asked this question: answers all over the map. This tells me that as a community, there is no universal 1 top level category for Tarot, Oracle, and Lenormand. I think since Tarot is the most well known, it should be the top category. And then maybe there should be Tarot, Lenormand, and Oracle as sub categories of Tarot. This seems to be the way that Aeclectic Tarot has handled it. After all it's called "Aeclectic Tarot" and "Tarot Forum" not any of the other things.

Thank you to all who replied to this question.

gregory

Divinatory decks seems to work for everyone in THIS thread, no ? As a "top level".

ETA Oracles and Lennies have their own areas here - and posts about them are removed from TAROT areas.

The Game Crafter

Divinatory decks seems to work for everyone in THIS thread, no ? As a "top level".

ETA Oracles and Lennies have their own areas here - and posts about them are removed from TAROT areas.

There's absolutely no universal agreement on it if you read the above posts. tarot bear initially said that, but then recanted due to the general public not necessarily knowing. Others seemed to agree. There was also talk about mind/body/spirt decks. Pretty much each post went all over the place. And you guys are as close to Tarot experts as I am aware exist. If you can't agree, what hope is there for novice's?

tarotbear

you guys are as close to Tarot experts as I am aware exist. If you can't agree, what hope is there for novice's?

HAHAHA! There are as many ways to interpret a Tarot card as there are Tarot readers!

I do like "Divination decks" sub-categorized as Tarot, Oracle, and Lenormand ...

gregory

It was I who mentioned mind/body/spirit - but TB and I agreed on divination decks, and I see no-one who has said no to that :D WE did agree. This is the first time we have agreed in MANY days, so there must be something in that :D

Also we both use your site - so our view must count for something more than people who never go there anyway taking a wild stab ...