New Decks

SunChariot

So because I am a very curious person...!!!

I was wondering what people do to connect with new decks????

I start by making sure no cards are missing or damaged. Then if all is well, I just....use the deck. Think up a question and go. To me decks are a lot like people, you get to know them by talking with them. The more you talk the more you build a rapport and connect.

I don't do anything more elaborate than that, I just pick up the deck and read with it.I don't even read the book that comes with them anymore, if there is one...

Babs

nisaba

<laughter> Use 'em!

I rip open the parcel before I've even left the post office. I look throughh the cards, greedily. I have a coffee in the nearest avaialble cafe purey as a way of getting a table to myself as quickly as possible, and I look through the deck some more, possibly even use a spread or two. Then I go home. By the time I get home, the deck is mine as surely as any of the others are.

Bhavana

Then I check to be sure all the cards are there (you'd be surprised how often there are one or two missing) and double check to see there aren't any misprinted ones.

Yes, this is VERY important!! Do this before anything else!! I just was lucky enough to get the Buddha Tarot in a trade here, and it was brand new, still in it's shrinkwrap...I checked to make sure all the cards were there, and they were - but it was a few days before I noticed the defect on the Chariot card. Nothing I can't live with - and I am going to have to live with it, since Llewellyn is no longer printing this deck. I could still find this deck, even at a low price, but do I want to get a whole new deck because of one little smear? Not really, not with all the other decks I want right now! But, if it was still in print, I'd be able to easily get a spare card from the publisher.

Also, this careful inspection of the deck and each card, forces one to really look it over and see each detail, which is part of familiarizing oneself with the deck.

Bhavana

<laughter> Use 'em!

I rip open the parcel before I've even left the post office. I look throughh the cards, greedily. I have a coffee in the nearest avaialble cafe purey as a way of getting a table to myself as quickly as possible, and I look through the deck some more, possibly even use a spread or two. Then I go home. By the time I get home, the deck is mine as surely as any of the others are.

oh you are brave! though I have done the ripping open of the package before leaving the post office, I never spread the cards out in public, especially in my stuffy conservative neighborhood. They'd all run screaming to their BMW 4x4's with their children, and start a campaign to burn me at the stake.

alesia

Upon receipt: Open, check to see all cards are there.
To begin use: Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, draw.

The only productive deck interview I've ever had was with the Rider-Waite, and it basically told me that we needed to stop seeing each other.

Morwenna

oh you are brave! though I have done the ripping open of the package before leaving the post office, I never spread the cards out in public, especially in my stuffy conservative neighborhood. They'd all run screaming to their BMW 4x4's with their children, and start a campaign to burn me at the stake.

And you live in the Northeast? My my... I thought we had the good part of the country for that! (But I do see what you mean about the BMWs... :))

nisaba

So because I am a very curious person...!!!

I jut did the first reading with a deck I received a few days ago. I haven't done anything special. I shuffled, laid out the cards, and read them.

Simple.

nisaba

oh you are brave!
<shrug> Not really.

though I have done the ripping open of the package before leaving the post office, I never spread the cards out in public, especially in my stuffy conservative neighborhood. They'd all run screaming to their BMW 4x4's with their children, and start a campaign to burn me at the stake.
I find that very hard to believe ... one what do you base that? Your own shhyness about Tarot?

WyrdRaven

Go through the deck to make sure all the cards are there. Go through it again to insure that none of them are defective. And then-- I learned this the hard way-- flip over the deck and go through it again, looking at the backs. It is amazing how often the backs are flawed, yet so easy to miss if you're only looking at the front of the cards!

peaceandkarma

I've just got the Native American Cards by Laura Tuan. The cards are a nice size but I'm finding the meaning of the cards a little hard to learn. Its a very interest deck, I like them.