New Lenormand deck - in progress

The 78th Fool

Thanks Luna. x

Ironically, I'd ordered Titania's Fortune Cards and they arrived this morning. However, I'm just getting over a migraine so they are far to dayglo to concentrate on at the moment LOL ! I'll have to wait till the morning to make a proper assessment !

Chris. xx

MatPoint

I've seen it is already available. It is nice but 55 pounds is way too much for a deck of cards.

The 78th Fool

MatPoint said:
I've seen it is already available. It is nice but 55 pounds is way too much for a deck of cards.

I wish I was able to keep the price of these lower but the only way would be to fund a large quantity print run of at least a thousand copies or more. Unfortunately this would run into the thousands of pounds for me and I don't have that kind of money.

As it stands I have to manufacture each deck to order. They are printed on five separate sheets of photo paper, each has eight cards per sheet. They have to be printed both sides to add the back design and then laminated with a hot press laminator. The cards are then hand cut and cornered. On top of this, the drawstring bags have to be handmade.

Between four and five hours work goes into manufacturing each of these decks, not to mention the eighty or so hours that went into the production of the original artwork. When you take out the cost of the materials and postage (which I don't charge for) then my hourly rate of pay is not that impressive.

I can understand that for many people £55 is a lot of money but these kind of editions (as someone like Adam McClean will testify to) are not overpriced for what they are. If anything, when you're putting out a handmade edition you will always have to undercharge for your time and effort. On the upside, it does make the deck available and these are the kind of editions that collectors will go for. Alternately, if it's a deck that you really want then it's better that it's available in a form like this than not at all.

All I can say is a big thankyou to everyone who's ordered a copy so far and I hope it lives up to expectations.

Chris. xx

Leo62

Chris's decks are well worth every penny ;)

Lee

I'm not the kind of person who spends lots of money on self-published decks, but I have bought two of Chris's decks and was glad I did. The physical production is superb -- the colors bright and deep, the cardstock sturdy, and the lamination has a wonderful tactile quality and is not too shiny. And then of course there's the artistic skill that goes into them.

It really comes down to what you feel you can afford and how badly you want the deck. For everyone the answer will be different. We all place different values on things.

-- Lee

faunabay

I completely understand the price. It is a handmade deck. That being said, while I'd love to buy a copy right now, I can't afford to with the holidays right around the corner. Taking in to account the american dollar right now 55 euros would be somewhere around $90 for a 36 card deck. eek! Maybe sometime next year!
I do love it though. It's beautiful and quite different. Great Job!!

The 78th Fool

Thanks Chaps ;)

Fauna, I sympathise over the exchange rate ! It's a real scourge !! The largest percentage portion of people on my mailing list are either from the States or Canada and, quite understandably they are often saying the same as you. I'll be glad when the Dollar and the Pound get back to being a bit more even !

Chris. xx

faunabay

The 78th Fool said:
I'll be glad when the Dollar and the Pound get back to being a bit more even !

Chris. xx

I think you and everyone else here in the USA feel the same way! :) Or at least closer not further and further apart.

MatPoint

I'm not saying you should change price, it is your product and you sell it as cheap or expensive as you want. I'm just saying that not everybody is going to be willing to expend that much money on a deck of cards.

Anyway, it's a nice deck.