new tarot deck based on Crowley's Thoth

Asrais

hello all !!
well i am using Crowley's thoth tarot deck but im am about to make my own deck with realy fresh images, and i was wondering if it will have success. Cause i dont know how many people use Crowley's way on reading and if it is easy for people that they get use of Rider-Waite to buy it and use it. I'm searching on internet and i think the percent of Rider-Waite decks are more. Realy i dont want to start all this work for nothing so thats why i'm asking here!!
Thank you :)

gregory

This depends on what you mean by success. If you mean will you find a mainstream publisher - very likely not. It is possible, but to be honest, not very likely...

If you mean will people buy it - that depends rather on how it looks. MANY here like Crowley style decks, and use his method - there is, as you see, a whole Thoth sub-forum. But if they don't like how such a deck looks - if they don't like the actual artwork - again - basically there is only one way to find out.

If you mean will you make a lot of money - almost certainly not. Nothing against you or the deck- but even those who work with big publishers don't make much out of it, I think.

What you could do is complete and show a couple of cards and see if people here like them.

But I would have said it is worth doing the work for your own satisfaction, myself. If that counts for anything with you. Good luck, whatever you decide. :)

Asrais

yes i was talking about money success. i already have mine but it needs work to publish it.
to be honest.. i like the images of Crowley's big arcana and the images of Waite's minor arcana.. :(
but i know that's not good... so i dont know..

Laura Borealis

to be honest.. i like the images of Crowley's big arcana and the images of Waite's minor arcana.. :(
but i know that's not good... so i dont know..

I'm sure you're not alone. Maybe purists would think it's not good, but many people prefer minors with scenes.

Do you have any examples? (perhaps digitally watermarked, for your protection)

Mythic

Examples of success...

I once asked a successful Tarot reader how to make a small fortune in the Tarot business. Her reply was ... (see below)

There are some decks which are Thoth based and have more illustrated pips. "Tarot of the Spirit" and the "Haindl Tarot" to name two that have done well.

As for her reply about making a small fortune in Tarot, she said to start with a large fortune :).

Joking aside, those decks which do well tend to reflect dedicated work over time by the artists.

I don't think Lady Frieda Harris or PC Smith saw much financial gain from their work. With the greater popularity of Tarot in a mass market with swift, international distribution, there is more potential now.

There are people on this forum with actual experience who could give you better advice than I could. If I were doing this, I would seek their advice directly.

Having made my lack of direct qualifications clear :), I suggest using the advice of those with experience to approach the major publishers. Failing that, I would create a limited edition and see if it sells well. You will need to become your own marketing and sales agent. If it does well, re-propose to the publisher with your evidence of sales.

There are a lot of Internet resources you can use to promote your cards, as well as craft fairs, specialty shops, psychic fairs, etc. It's all about how much you want to put into it.

For an example of a deck that has done very well, I suggest looking at the Deviant Moon. It is RWS based, but Patrick has done a number of interesting things.

1. Strong artistic vision.
2. Published with US Games
3. Available at B & N stores (a sign of deep penetration in standard retail with a huge chain that is NOT specialized)
4. Presence on this forum and in other places on the Internet.
5. Sells customized special editions direct to customers and has built a very personal relationship.

He could not have done this without a great product, but he has added great vision in marketing to it. This deck has only been out a few years.

In my decidedly NOT professional opinion, low resolution scans are a great way to create buz without making files that can be used for printing cards available.

Best of luck with this.

Sidhe-Ra

If you're hoping to make money from creating a deck, you will be sorely dissapointed.

If you wish to create a deck for the satisfaction of doing so and wish to publish it in order to share your vision and inspirtion with the world, then that is a different matter.

Bhavana

Well, suppose one DOES have a novel and interesting idea, and the money to put it into action and produce a beautiful deck that appeals to a lot of people? Like Deviant Moon? I don't see how in that case you wouldn't make good money off of it. Unless tarot deck buyers, as a community, are very small, or the amount the artist gets from each deck sold is very small.

I have heard this over and over, though, how it is not a very lucrative enterprise...so it must be true. In spite of that, the market is flooded, and with many mediocre decks - makes me, as an artist, think about doing one myself.

Sidhe-Ra

Well, suppose one DOES have a novel and interesting idea, and the money to put it into action and produce a beautiful deck that appeals to a lot of people? Like Deviant Moon? I don't see how in that case you wouldn't make good money off of it. Unless tarot deck buyers, as a community, are very small, or the amount the artist gets from each deck sold is very small.

I have heard this over and over, though, how it is not a very lucrative enterprise...so it must be true. In spite of that, the market is flooded, and with many mediocre decks - makes me, as an artist, think about doing one myself.

I have three successful decks on the market, of which I sell many copies a year. What I earn from them in a year would be barely enough to live on for a month.

gregory

Yes - and there is also Ly Narciso, and I don't THINK Deviant Moon has actually made anyone rich, and I think even Magic Realist aren't exactly getting wealthy on what they put out - they subsidise with tarot related goods. Same applies to books - I know many authors. There are a few huge things everywhere - Dan Brown in books, and there may be someone in tarot - but I can't actually THINK of anyone....