Newbie to Thoth needs advice

Thoughtful

I enjoyed DuQuette's book but I don't feel to re-read it. I just can't wait for The Book of Thoth - I'll sink my teeth deep ;)

It works like that with me too. But I don't want to touch other decks. I just carry around my pocket Thoth and home, doing spreads with standard version. I don't feel any urge to check with other decks. I'm not stressed about it. I'm so happy that I can dig so many meanings using tools like Tree of Life (it took me year to really start learning it), astrology and dwelling more into my own intuition. Thoth is amazing puzzle, always surprising with something new.

l did read over the relevant parts of DuQuette as like you l am waiting eagerly for the Book of Thoth to arrive.

Interesting that your urge for other decks has abated and l understand that. l decided to use another deck simply to do a reading for someone. l need to learn more of the Thoth and to feel confident before l read for someone other than myself.

As you say the Thoth is amazing and l find it has this ability to take you down so many roads of knowledge, of spirituality. It does seem to put my other decks in the shade, they are wonderful and have always worked perfectly for me. Though since the Thoth has come into my life its opened up so much more depth.

When l start reading the Book of Thoth l shall think of you reading yours:)

Thoughtful

No doubt, the Thoth is telling you not to go off in too many directions at once. Surely, all by itself, it is a formidable study.

Personally, even though the Thoth is my default deck and daily ally, I enjoy studying and reading with different decks occasionally, and if anything, that deepens my understanding of the Thoth as well. Then again, Thoth and me have been friends for nearly three decades.

So, as always, what is right for you depends on who and where you are.

l think l will put aside my other decks and concentrate solely on the Thoth. l used another deck to do a reading for someone, l suppose at this stage in my learning l was going backwards rather than forwards.

l will use the Thoth on some understanding friends and see if even at this early stage it will be kind to me as a reading deck for others.

l do readings for others so l shall just have to take the bull by the horns and dive in. It reads beautifully for me alone so l will see how it goes.

Zephyros

I felt the same way. Once I used to use mainly RWS decks like the Morgan-Greer but after discovering the Thoth they just aren't the same. There's nothing wrong with them per se, I still keep them and look through them occasionally but I think it's safe to say I've found the Tarot love of my life. At first I found this strange, but learned to embrace it. There's simply no other deck that excites me like the Thoth. Like meeting a lover, my heart still skips a beat when I open it and start to shuffle, even after all these years.

Thoughtful

Zephyros you have said it all, l have come to that conclusion also as you may have gathered. You have put into words what my feelings are about the Thoth.

seedcake

When l start reading the Book of Thoth l shall think of you reading yours:)

:heart: What else I can say? ;)

l will use the Thoth on some understanding friends and see if even at this early stage it will be kind to me as a reading deck for others.

l do readings for others so l shall just have to take the bull by the horns and dive in. It reads beautifully for me alone so l will see how it goes.

I've already used it in exchanges here. I was bit stressed but I decided to dive deep right away. I didn't worry if I not go too deep with meanings. I feel I can use "random intuition" just like with RWS decks. But just like with Minors, they have a lot of informations in display. So I always end up with some basic astrology which I love and Thoth made me to reconsider checking this area again.

Zephyros said:
I felt the same way. Once I used to use mainly RWS decks like the Morgan-Greer but after discovering the Thoth they just aren't the same. There's nothing wrong with them per se, I still keep them and look through them occasionally but I think it's safe to say I've found the Tarot love of my life. At first I found this strange, but learned to embrace it. There's simply no other deck that excites me like the Thoth. Like meeting a lover, my heart still skips a beat when I open it and start to shuffle, even after all these years.

I think I mentioned it earlier, I started to feel with RWS worn off. I needed stronger kick. I really hope for a long lasting flame with Thoth.

Thank you Zephyros for these words. It really shows how this deck can be special :heart:

Barleywine

I love to see people connecting with the Thoth. Things really start rolling when you realize just how much the Book of Thoth enriches your understanding of the cards and illuminates their inner dimensions, to the point that you can begin applying their more intricate nuances in a practical as well as a philosophical sense. Once you warm to its ways, you will never look back. Even when Crowley was at his fiercest and least accommodating of the neophyte, he always had something intriguing to say. I read him as much for his sharp and subtle wit as for his always intelligent and challenging observations.

Thoughtful

So disappointed that my Book of Thoth did not arrive today, that's the Book Depository for you l guess. l was so looking forward to some quiet reading time over the weekend. It happened with the DuQuette book as well l waited nearly three weeks. The Universe is teaching me patience l think.
Barleywine your post has made me even more impatient to read it.

Thoughtful

I needed stronger kick. I really hope for a long lasting flame with Thoth.

Me to seedcake to both your thoughts.

l did bemoan the fact that it arrived in my life rather late, l am retired. The good part is l can put aside quality time both for the deck and the books. It is giving me such joy, like finding an old friend and teacher who's knowledge you know you are ready for now. l have learnt so much already, and l know there is still much to learn. The Thoth is everything l was looking for in a tarot deck and l say tarot deck, yet its so much more than just that, its more like holding the world and the universe in your hands.

Michael Sternbach

Nevertheless, on an advanced level, I recommend looking into some of the deck's alternative versions as well, such as the Rosetta, the Tabula Mundi, and the Tarot of Ceremonial Magick. You may also want to study the Golden Dawn take on Tarot more in general. All this will expand your understanding of the Thoth.

Zephyros

Nevertheless, on an advanced level, I recommend looking into some of the deck's alternative versions as well, such as the Rosetta, the Tabula Mundi, and the Tarot of Ceremonial Magick. You may also want to study the Golden Dawn take on Tarot more in general. All this will expand your understanding of the Thoth.

I find it ironic that two of the three decks you mentioned were made by the same person. But there it is, Babalon really knows her stuff and her decks are real jewels, unprecedented as far as Thoth-type decks go. She provides a refreshing new look at the symbols while staying true to the spirit of the source material.

I think that expanding one's knowledge of all the other things comes naturally. At least, it did for me. There are some kabbalistic ideas that are better represented in something like the Hermetic and study of that deck helped immeasurably with the Thoth. By necessity, one eventually has to approach Golden Dawn material because Crowley doesn't discuss certain things in his own works, probably because there was no need for him to repeat what was already said.

But what I always like to say is that good study of the Thoth will open up almost all decks to you because it does go into the inner workings of the engine of esoteric Tarot.