Nine of Swords Clarified By The Empress as Thoughts?

LilliumStargazer

I did a spread earlier regarding someone's thoughts about a certain relationship and pulled The Nine of Swords. Wanting to know more about the situation, I pulled a clarifier and got the Empress. What a strange combo.

My first thought is that this person is worried about losing a good relationship with someone who is viewed as an "Empress" or a good woman.

But I also think it could be worrying about the fact that this person is too coddling and motherly in nature.

Thoughts? :)

willowfox

***Perhaps they feel guilty for not doing enough for the other person.

starrystarrynight

It's possible that he is being hand-tied or blocked by anxiety in the situation, which could be a reason the development of the relationship is being stalled, if it is.

PAMUYA

Maybe this person is worried/stressed that this relationship/person reminds him of his mother, or that this person may not want to have a family.

Grizabella

I could see this as someone hoping the relationship wouldn't wind up with a pregnancy but being worried that it might.

On the other hand, it might be someone who wants to be a mother but who is very worried about possible infertility. But I think my first thought is more likely.

LilliumStargazer

***Perhaps they feel guilty for not doing enough for the other person.

This seems pretty accurate, and I could definitely see that being an issue. The spread was about a lack of communication, and I could really see that being one of the things he's feeling.

LilliumStargazer

It's possible that he is being hand-tied or blocked by anxiety in the situation, which could be a reason the development of the relationship is being stalled, if it is.

Hmm. This seems really likely too. The relationship is being stalled due to a lack of communication on their part. But, where does the Empress factor into the anxiety? Isn't it more of a card of abundance? So, are they anxious about not being enough for the other person maybe?

starrystarrynight

The Empress is Earth and the Nine of Swords is Air, so the two cards clash. That could weaken or block the Empress--or make her less "abundant" or unfruitful, effectively stalling the flow of the situation.

Grizabella

I thought the two would be compatible. The earth needs the air to grow things on it for food, etc. Earth and water, too, are compatible. Fire and air are compatible---fire needs air to burn, but it could also be bad as in a forest fire. Water and air wouldn't be because water would smother out air---if you're submerged in water you don't get any air and you drown. I'm probably all confused, I suppose, since I never actually studied elemental dignities at length and don't read with them.

starrystarrynight

Many readers see elements in different ways. For me, I have always gone by the incompatibility of Air and Earth, Water and Fire; the neutrality of Air and Water, Earth and Fire; and the compatibility of Air and Fire, Water and Earth. That's just what has seemed to work for me. (I've seen those attributes in Teresa Michelson's The Complete Tarot Reader and in some other much older sources, as well, so I just kept up with using them.)

I sometimes forget to disclaim that this is how I use elements in readings, but it may not be how others do it...