Off-Centre: "XIV"

Fulgour

indeed...

Umbrae said:
I myself always leaned towards Temper...
We do all see that the card is XIV Temperance, just lots more too.

firemaiden

Re: hello lark

Fulgour said:
it may be noted that, on centre, Temperance divides thus:
TEMPE - RANCE (rather than leaning toward "Temper").

Of the reference to Tempe, there is much to be discovered.
~from
Webster's Third International New Dictionary
[L, fr. Tempe, a beautiful valley in ancient Thessaly,
fr. Gk Tempe] : a place (as a valley, glen, or rustic
retreat) of great natural beauty and charm.

Oh, how very interesting Fulgour! So it would seem there is sort of a pun in the making being visualized with respect to the name.

Fulgour

no pun intended, rather: to the point

firemaiden said:
Oh, how very interesting Fulgour! So it would seem there is sort of a pun in the making being visualized with respect to the name.
Re: TEMPE

hi firemaiden, actually what I was observing (and so wrote) was:
"...it may be noted that, on centre, Temperance divides thus..."
kind of in keeping with the idea of seeing the card in that light.
TEMPER ANCE works too, but as you may perceive, it's 6 lft & 4 rt.

:)

cosi bello

firemaiden

si, si... ho capito, pero...

what is interesting, of course, with your discovery of the meaning of Tempe, is the actual depiction of Temperance as..."a place [...] of great natural beauty and charm." -- here is the proverbial locus amoenus -- a valley, flowers, a babbling brook, and angels...

Rusty Neon

Paying homage to the Marseille? Probably not, but ...

In the 1760 Conver Tarot de Marseille deck, Temperance is numbered XIIII. If the Roman numeral in the Rider-Waite card had started in the same place that Waite and Colman-Smith had placed it but it had been written as XIIII (à la Conver), the Roman numeral would have been much less off-centre, and would not have been much more off-centre than some of the other Roman numerals in the Rider-Waite deck.

OK, guys ... I confess this isn't a serious, pondered, publishable result (and I didn't get out my ruler); I'm just having fun after a hard day at the office.

Macavity

I think it raises the issue of editorial control too - i.e. whodunnit? Looking at a random sample of cards, the "PCS" signature varies both in size and position - sometimes it is cropped by the frame. How were the original painted? I also wonder, from an Aesthetic view, might it not have looked a little ODD, had the XIV character NOT been centered directly over the head? Note: such issues do not occur in most other cards (Magician) where the head is FAR from the titles or the scene is more assymetric anyways...

Aside: Dunno about you, but if *I* stand with one foot 2" lower than the other, my centre of gravity (and head) tend to move much like that of temperance! But I don't think such levity detracts from the overall interest of the observation... })

Macavity

Fulgour

Hi Macavity

It seems a rather weighty hypothetical speculation to wonder
which foot an angel is inclined to shift their balance over to...
From my first impressions of this card over 35 years ago now,
it always appeared to me that the angel calmly was hovering!

Macavity

Well, I was actually reminded of... David Blaine. :D

Peredur

Re Off-Centre "XIV"

This thread is very interesting in that it shows to what lengths one can elaborate on the geometric construction in Pamela Colman Smith's draftsmanship. If we assume her composition reflects a deliberate attemp to convey a message, should any other anomaly be considered for closer examination? On all but four of the cards her calligraphy at the bottom is more or less centred. Yet on the Queen of Cups, Knight of Cups, Page of Cups and Knight of Swords no such attempt is made. A coincidence perhaps? On the "original" RWS deck they are centred. Kind of makes you wonder.
Bob