ok what to look for in a good astrology book?

HOLMES

i know i asked for five basic , five intermediate , and five advanced books,
but in studying books name and lists i now know it isnt' that easy to do so.

and lee corespondance course has enlighten me til understand astrology is as old as the hills and so one could invest a college tution to learn the basics ,, but myself too poor to do that.

so what do i need to look for in the basic, all in depth look at astrology to give me a good grounding.
(i would liken it to the books the illustrated guide to tarot by racheale pollack and amber jayanti tarot for dummies book and 78 degrees for more depth for good beginners books. )

i was just thinking next time i am the city to get astrology for dummies and for idiots. however we know that all books are not created equal and so that could be fool hardy

i was looking at the six volume book by Marion D. March, Joan McEvers
called the only way to tomorrow, the only way to learn astrology , part two mathemath and interpation techiques, horoscope analysis,
(and there is more ,like horary astrology, each book is about 200 pages each )

yet i would like to get a book tht information in two or three books which i could study well,
here is one i found ..
The General Principles of Astrology by ailester crowley
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0877289085/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

or alan oaken complete astrology ,
three books in one for 11. 30
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0553345370/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

i guess i should look at the magus books set up for ,
introductory
chart erecting
tools, chart, tables
forcasting
psycology/consulting
relatioships
aspects/house/etc
magic and divination,
medical/health
spiritual esteroic
sidereal, hindu
general.

all these is under astrology sub sections at magus book
i guess i should look at introductory , general, and aspects/house, chart erecting, and chart for now ?
what do you reccomend.

1. i want to get the best sytemic, encompassing, fastest way of getting of learning astrology
2. not all books are created equal example the chicken qabbalahb lon milo duqutte is awesome for explaining the kabbalah for layman terms that is what i am looking for and i got the discoveryourself through tarot , an advanced book but loosk so clear and consise i can't read it.
so these books have to be cut through the bs, and stright to the heart.
3. what do you recomend if this threads get big,
4. my goal is understand it all, to know it all to incorpate new astrology. and to come from the qabalistic astrology towards the end of my jounrey

thanks you for presenting me before hand a good basis in what to look for,

and what providing any feedback you can on these books or what else to look for,

and this improtant question.
what the hell kind of math is need for astrology ,,?
i hope it isn't algebera i suck at that, :O( or fininite math principles or physics , all i am good at is adding and subtracitng.

edited to add,
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10585&highlight=astrology+book
that thread was for intermediate books

i am iniatlly looking for encompassing beginners books that gives the basics for everyting . so i might need a little step down book :O(

Astraea

Learning Astrology

Hi, Holmes! In my experience, the most challenging part of learning astrology can be the mathematics. You don't need to have an ultra-sophisticated understanding of math, but there are enough nuances involved that a teacher can be a big help. Many times, local astrologers and metaphysical bookstores offer courses covering the math and basics for not much money. A good first step might be contacting a metaphysical store and inquiring about astrology classes and astrologers who also teach.

The March and McEvers books are probably the best basic texts, overall, that I am aware of; they are certainly a good place to begin. The Aleister Crowley and Alan Oken books are not beginning texts.

There are also on-line courses that are very reasonably priced. Here's a link to a good electronic school of astrology (this link leads to the page listing self-study course options, but the whole website might be of interest): http://www.astrocollege.com/academic/department.cgi?DEPT=SELF

Best wishes in your studies! :)

Keslynn

Here are a few books I've found helpful, but I have to say that these don't really cover the math. They're mostly focused on interpretation of a chart you already have before you. If you want quick and easy (and free) charts, there are plenty of places to get them online. I'll admit, being a Leo, that getting someone else/a computer to do the "dirty work" appeals to me. ;) Anyhow, here are the books:

The Inner Sky by Steven Forrest
An Astrological Guide to Self Awareness by Donna Cunningham
How to Read Your Astrological Chart by Donna Cunningham
I think Astrology For Dummies covers the math in a straightforward way
Key Words for Astrology by Hajo Banzhaf and Anna Haebler
Born on a Rotten Day isn't really a text to learn, but it's a hilarious book about the bad sides of every sign. I laughed my butt off.

Hope those help and were sort of what you were looking for.

:) Kes

azuremariposa

'you have mail' hehe...
well, i have it on good authority that "any book by Sasportas" is good...also, check out: Steven Arroyo, Liz Greene & Robert Hand...sorry i don't have specific titles...but i sent you a link w/some good ones...:)

much love and many blessings...

~azure

C.N.

I would recommend:
For introduction:
"A Spiritual Approach to Astrology", by Myrna Lofthus
"The Inner Sky", by Steven Forrest
About nodes:
"Astrology for the Soul", by Jan Spiller
General info about nearly everything:
"Horoscope Symbols", by Robert Hand
About chart synthesizing:
"The Art of Chart Interpretation", by Tracy Marks

azuremariposa

oh yes, that Spiller book was recommended to me some time ago...forgot that one (don't think it's on that list i sent you)...and i was told that Isabel Hickey's 'Cosmic Science' is a must read...but i haven't gotten to it yet, so i don't know where it falls in the beginner-to-advanced spectrum...:D

hope that list helped! much love and many blessings...

~azure

littleneptune

Holmes--here are some books that I would recommend for a solid grounding in astrology (to begin with):

Very beginner: "The Practical Astrologer" by Nicholas Campion.
Describes signs, houses, aspects and chart casting using the Equal House System. Lots of pictures and stuff to make it 'user-friendly' and non-intimidating. It may be too simple for you, I'm not sure how much you already know. If you can't be bothered calculating a chart by hand, here's a site that does it for you:

http://www.astro.com/cgi/genchart.cgi?&cid=abxfileZUqYsr-u1039385289

ALSO, you should get yourself a good Ephemeris to track the current movement of the planets. I recommend "The American Ephemeris for the 21st Century" by Neil F. Michelsen/Rique Pottenger if you live in north america (not sure where you live, Canada I think?)

Next: "The Astrologer's Handbook" and "Predictive Astrology" by Frances Sakoian & Lois S. Acker. Slightly more advanced.

Next: "Planets In Transit" (and any other book) by Robert Hand.
Also, a new-ish book: "Aspects In Astrology" by Sue Tompkins.
These books take a more psychological approach to analyzing the natal chart and the current transits.

These are not very "theoretical" books, but they are extremely practical for understanding the tangible/mundane aspects of real life (ie. for describing real events, psychological traits, etc.). Hope this helps :)

littleneptune

P.S. James Braha has a book called "How to Predict Your Future" which touches on the very basics of hindu chart construction. His approach is a little 'absolutist', but does make it possible to cast your own Vedic chart. Warning--Vedic/Hindu astrology is very, very complicated!

Minderwiz

There's a lot to choose from!!

The March and McEvers series is good - though a bit expensive if you buy them all. I've got the Horary Astrology one of the series and its well written and a very helpful.

Nick Campion's Practical Astrologer is the first Astrology book I ever bought and I still reference it from time to time. An excellent starter

I actually like Alan Oken's Complete Astrology and it was my main text when I began again.

There's always Parkers' Astrology which is quite good.

Stephen Arroyo's Chart Interpretation Handbook is probably the best condensed cookbook.

I like and use Tracy Marks' books but I found her hard going when I was a complete beginner but you should bear her in mind for development.

All the other books mentioned are good but not necessarily as first texts - however keep the list and work through after you've got going.

For a first book I'd say its virtually essential that it takes you through the calculation and 'erection' of a natal chart and then go on to explain the reasoning behind each step. Parkers, Oken and Campion all do this (there are of course other books that do as well). Start with such a book and then move outwards and develop ideas as you go.

C.N.

About Hickey's "Cosmic Science", it is a beginnner book and a fairly good one for the traditional planets. I didn't like the parts about the new outer planets in signs however. It shows to too much wishful thinking and that gives a feel of an astrologer that tells you what you want to hear instead of what you need to hear.