One out of place card

SilentBreeze

I generally try to read all the cards together and form a complete picture. But what happens in instances where all the cards seem to fit and tell a story and one card just seems completely out of place and unreadable. Specifically, I've been getting reading where everything seems positive and coherent, but then there's one card that is just very negative and doesn't make sense, doesn't fit with the story that I'm getting from the cards. Sure it may be that I'm reading for myself and the reading gets skewed in my head, but I'm usually pretty good at disconnecting, and giving myself a neutral reading.

What would you do in the situation? Do you have any tips on how to go about trying to read the one card and get the whole reading to make some sense?

Maybe I'll put up the reading in the your readings thread later. But this has happens to me everyone so often. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Empath111

Hi:)
This happens to me quite a bit. Either I feel it may be mixed feelings (which we know is common when it comes to feelings) or even a card that can appear negative alone can have positive meanings if surrounded by other positive cards. So even..let's say..the ten of swords could have its positive parts if it shows an end of a cycle that needs to end. Or being able to see things for what they really are.

Do you read reversals?
I have not been lately..and if all of the cards are positive, but one that doesn't fit then I assume it is has the more positive attributes to it.
:)

SilentBreeze

Hi:)
This happens to me quite a bit. Either I feel it may be mixed feelings (which we know is common when it comes to feelings) or even a card that can appear negative alone can have positive meanings if surrounded by other positive cards. So even..let's say..the ten of swords could have its positive parts if it shows an end of a cycle that needs to end. Or being able to see things for what they really are.

Do you read reversals?
I have not been lately..and if all of the cards are positive, but one that doesn't fit then I assume it is has the more positive attributes to it.
:)

No I don't read reversals, I choose intuitively if the meaning is reversed. For example, most recently, I have a very positive sounding relationship reading (for a friend) with the outcome being the 9 of swords...All I can think is the two people involved are really good together and really like eachother but will end up hurting eachother...but how does that make sense.

Zechariah13

All I can think is the two people involved are really good together and really like eachother but will end up hurting eachother...but how does that make sense.

Actually, that happens all the time. Two people who are really into each other, or enjoy each others company, but really bring out the worst in each other in the long run. Its like if i had a friend who i was so cool with, but due to my relationship with him, i started ignoring everything else around me. Or if there was a romantic relationship where two people were in love and wanted the relationship to work, but couldnt get over their own issues, which got dragged into the mix, and end up weakening each other.

Although, here are some alternative meaning for the 9 of swords; just to round out the possibilities:
Sharp reasoning, taking control of destiny, facing and defeating our demons, learning to love ourselves, faithfulness, Harsh trials, Change through torment, Guilt, regret, Defense Mechanisms, Fanaticism , a Final Test.

Empath111

No I don't read reversals, I choose intuitively if the meaning is reversed. For example, most recently, I have a very positive sounding relationship reading (for a friend) with the outcome being the 9 of swords...All I can think is the two people involved are really good together and really like eachother but will end up hurting eachother...but how does that make sense.

I haven't been reading reversals lately either- doing the same thing you are. :) I like it - I feel like I have been getting better reads with it.

I'll take a shot at it: In your example above, I would read the reversed meaning of the 9 of swords (which is more positive than the upright) and say that maybe worry and stress is over (for example if one of them had a history of a bad relationship/s) - everything is going to be smooth from now on..or worry-free. Something along those lines. So, each card has its positive and negative attributes. Just as an example for another usually negative card. Just like the Sun...almost always great to see in a spread..but surrounded by negative cards could also mean you could get "burnt" sort of thing.

caridwen

...9 of swords...All I can think is the two people involved are really good together and really like eachother but will end up hurting eachother...but how does that make sense.

It doesn't. Nine can be traced back to the Hermit. No Nines have more than one figure in the card (RWS).

I think it shows a person suffering from obsessive thinking or projections, alone in bed. Sometimes we stick with a person because we are more afraid of being alone than we are of being in a bad relationship.

I do a spread when a card is haunting me that I don't understand:

What this card means/What this card doesn't mean/Added insight into the card/Advice

SilentBreeze

It doesn't. Nine can be traced back to the Hermit. No Nines have more than one figure in the card (RWS).

I think it shows a person suffering from obsessive thinking or projections, alone in bed. Sometimes we stick with a person because we are more afraid of being alone than we are of being in a bad relationship.

I do a spread when a card is haunting me that I don't understand:

What this card means/What this card doesn't mean/Added insight into the card/Advice

I like that spread idea. Usually I try to avoid drawing extra cards but in this case I might.

I use the thoth so the 9 of swords is really a negative looking card, so I can't conceive of positive meanings. But I guess I can see some positives of it, it could in fact mean overcoming a 9 of swords state.

Zechariah13

I use the thoth so the 9 of swords is really a negative looking card, so I can't conceive of positive meanings. But I guess I can see some positives of it, it could in fact mean overcoming a 9 of swords state.

I use the Tarot of Vampyres, which has really thothy minors. Here's a few positve meanings for it:
taking control of our destiny, facing our demons, defeating our demons, learning to love ourselves, faithfulness and obedience.

Now, none of these will EVER be easy,and while youre doing ANY of them you might wish you had never been born. But i think that most of the positives that come from this card are the good things that hurt, the reminder that growing up is painful yet necessary

caridwen

I like that spread idea. Usually I try to avoid drawing extra cards but in this case I might.

It helps to state which deck you use when asking a question.

Thoth is not meant to be read with reversals but with elemental dignities. The elemental dignities either neutralise, strengthen or negate the cards' meaning. If you are using Thoth then find out where the card is on the Tree of Life and astrological significance. Nine of Swords is Yesod/Mars in Gemini.

SilentBreeze

It helps to state which deck you use when asking a question.

Thoth is not meant to be read with reversals but with elemental dignities. The elemental dignities either neutralise, strengthen or negate the cards' meaning. If you are using Thoth then find out where the card is on the Tree of Life and astrological significance. Nine of Swords is Yesod/Mars in Gemini.

I don't read reversals, and I have some experience with elemental dignities but I've never really incorporated into my practice. I'll take a look at the elemental dignities. Thanks for the tip. Same with the technical meaning - astrology and tree of life significance, I study it and then revert back to intuition when reading. Let's see now to think about it more technically.

I also meant to ask as more of a general what to do in similar situations so I didn't mention the deck. It just ended up turning into a specific case study.

eta... the elemental dignities helped a bit. It helped me figure out where to connect the out of place card to.