Online readings: how could you possibly believe in them?

Andyouwillknowus

Recently I read how it seems that many on these boards give value to online readings being (almost) as accurate as reallife readings.
If you believe Tarot works, then I ask you how can you give value to the 'results/predictions' of something that is nothing more than a random computer generated algorythm? Doesnt it undermine your own beliefsystem and the whole essence of Tarot. If online readings work as well for you then wouldnt that make you a slave to some major placebo effect? This puzzles me...

My opinion is that one or an interaction of the following two principles are at work:

1. Psychological Aspect
Firstly, Tarot is a way of self-therapy and getting in touch with the basis of complex problems, real dynamics behind a situation because the cards make you think about it in a (sometimes) very different way. You gain other perspectives and as such will be better to cope with feelings and situations that seemed unbearable before. This often healing effect then could possibly be entirely attributed to psychological mechanisms, and could be compared with going to a good counsellor.
Also Self-fullfilling Prophecy could be at work here.

2. Metaphysical Aspect
But besides this mechanism I cannot help but want to believe Tarot works on a whole other level too. In a metaphysical way through connecting one's inner self with the collective unconscious and its archetypes, and through (cosmic) energies at work leading you to draw the right cards. Spirit Guides, the universe or any way you call it fall under this category. There's no proof, this of course will always be based on belief, feelings and maybe some astonishing results.

Now if the latter would be the case, and you believe this, then why do some of you believe in online readings? How can you rhyme getting the 'right' cards for you with the impossibility of sending your energy/connecting when you're sitting behind the keyboard anticipating some random result to appear? What would be the purpose of meditating and cutting and drawing the deck with your own bare hands -which I feel is the most important aspect of the process- if letting software do the math works as well for you?

am extremely interested in opinions about this, definitely in getting some reasoning behind it from those who find themselves giving onlinreadings credit

greetings :)

harmony1985

i understand what you're saying, it depends if you believe in "random" occurances, i for one dont. i think it is all synchronicity whether pulling "random" cards or getting a "random" reading off a site. i dont believe either is random, something made you pull the cards or do the reading and in my book that makes the online sites relevant.

personally i dont tend to use them cos i prefer reading my own cards, and i see your point of view, actually reading the cards does seem more REAL but i believe eveything happens for a reason and if youre drawn to a site and given a piece of advice by clicking on a few cards then you were meant to see the advice and take it on board. a little nudge in the right direction from the universe :)

wordwitch

oops, never mind - I read the post wrong!

Haunted Wood

I agree with harmony1985, I think that you get the messages you're meant to get, and they can come through a variety of mediums. I mean I've even been listening to the radio and gotten a clear message through the lyrics of a song, so I think that advice comes through to us in a number of ways. Online readings don't always work for me though if I'm not really concentrating, and if I use them I never pay attention to the automated interpetations of the cards that are usually given. I've used them occasionally and some have been spot on, usually just with the one card readings. I've occasionally used online oracles too like the sabian symbols oracle, and that has always given spot on advice.

wordwitch

I don't see them as accurate, at least not for me. And when they are it is very general...a computer just cannot do what a person can, this is a vibe here, intuition. Not a prescription or a recipe card. about as accurate as a fortune cookie IMO (or in my case)

Grizabella

I don't think very many of us do use the automated online readings. I sometimes see newcomers do it before they get their own cards, though.

As far as I've ever seen, I don't think the online readings do turn out to be very believable. I've gone to some of the free sites where you can choose whatever deck you want, but I just wanted to see the cards in the deck used to see whether I'd like the deck or not. :p While doing that, I read the meanings generated for the cards I drew and they were really just book meanings in general, not anything that applied to my situation or to my question.

Maybe you're getting confused, though. Some people do readings online for each other and for customers. Those are pretty close to in-person readings. They're more impersonal in some ways than face-to-face readings but they work well for those who use them, I think.

stefficus

i like them sometimes when i don't have my cards at hand (rarely) or when i want to look at a deck i don't have or... for whatever reason. not very often, but sometimes, and i've gotten some nifty stuff from it. you may be missing a distinction here, though. i look at the process as having two parts.

the first part of the process depends on a random(ish), synchronistic function. that part works whether it's a hands-on drawing or a simulated drawing; it's really just a matter of degree and personal preference to at least some extent. (how many psy experiments have been done on the someone's ability to affect this just kind of random computer routine? a LOT. it is still, if you subscribe to these things, a consciousness affecting an outcome.) you want random luck o' the draw, you got it, even if it feels a bit clinical. it's about the intent.

BUT! the critical part of tarot is in the interpretation, and those are generally crap. when i have my cards "read" online, i'm really reading for myself. i try to ignore the babble and make my own story. psychological processes or intuition or whatever you think comes next in a "real" reading takes over at this point, or you get useless goo. i have had a turn of phrase stick me in the heart in a sort of pixel-bibliomancy way, but that's down to what grapefruitmoon was talking about - your own perception and the universe at large make you get what you get, from where ever you get it. for the most part, the online dealies can draw the cards, but they can't READ.

Mariana

Grizabella said:
Maybe you're getting confused, though. Some people do readings online for each other and for customers. Those are pretty close to in-person readings. They're more impersonal in some ways than face-to-face readings but they work well for those who use them, I think.
Good point. Quite often here on AT the term 'online readings' refers to the readings done by members in the readings exchange forum. So the cards are read and interpreted by an actual person who posts the reading.

Of course you may still find this a very limiting approach, as the reader cannot see/'feel' the sitter and the sitter cannot see the cards. For instance, if you believe that reading is about your subconscious picking up things the other person subconsciously communicates or even 'radiates' (body language, energy etc.), then you may find that online readings are theoretically impossible...

gregory

What Mariana said. I have had some startlingly accurate readings from people here who have never met me - and they ARE on line readings....

enchanted spirit

gregory said:
What Mariana said. I have had some startlingly accurate readings from people here who have never met me - and they ARE on line readings....

I agree about this . . . it is interesting . . . and perhaps puts forward the question of how significant distance is in the separation of people. I mean, with the internet we can communicate with someone on the other side of the world in a heartbeat. Perhaps we are all somewhat connected like that? Or maybe I just need more coffee. But I don't think the querent needs to touch the cards in order to be read for. But then again, I also think that a lot of the "hocus pocus" stuff has gone out of tarot in general. It just comes down to this - do you think tarot is magic - or do you think tarot is a way of connecting with our own and other's subconscious? I lean toward the latter, and truly I think that we walk around with most of the info we need, but just don't always want to deal with it. Tarot can bring things into focus that we might otherwise ignore.

Now, I was confused about whether the OP was asking about computer generated readings or personal on-line readings. Regarding computer generated readings - I've played with these a little bit and sometimes the cards (not necessarily the interps) are dead on. So I think there might be something to it. OTOH there is just something about the feel of a deck in your hands and laying out a spread that the computer just can't replace so computer generated readings will not take over my world. But, I don't think that they are totally bogus either. The cards come up the way they will, if there is something you need to know.