Online Tarot Readings?

ClimbTheseWalls

I have been playing around with online tarot readings, mainly because when I pull out the tarot cards, they draw attention, and online is a 'quick and dirty' snapshot. I use tarot.com and Aeclectic here has some free 3 card type readings. There are a ton of clearly computer generated programs on spammy type tarot websites all over the web too that I try to stay away from.

What are people's general reaction to online tarot readings/cards, etc? Do you use them? Trust them? Put any stock in them? Should I run far far away from online tarot cards and never look back? lol (seriously though, what do you think?)

Mellifluous

I think some are quite good and some are not at all.

I tend to only use them when I'm too tired to pull out a deck (which isn't that often, maybe if I'm not feeling well or something). I've also used them just to be able to see cards from a deck that is new to me. :)

You can just see what the cards are and then interpret them yourself though - you don't have to go by their meanings if they are too rigid. Some sites are pretty good though.

firecatpickles

Many of them are canned readings, meaning that they have a bank of several (hundreds?) of predetermined spreads and card combos from which you receive your readings. I know that facade.com does this because I have gotten exactly the same reading from them before.

You are better off doing your own reading or doing an exchange here with real live folk.

Demon Goddess

I don't think I've ever seen a canned reading that anyone could call anything but coincidental... But... you never know... you might get lucky.

Better to go for an exchange here at AT, as KK suggested if you don't want to turn your own cards.

:D

berrieh

I've used them before when I couldn't pull out a Tarot pack and wanted to draw a few quick cards. But I ignored the canned jibber-jabber... I'd never use the actual text.

But you can read cards from anywhere, really. I can read cards by looking at them on the computer. It's not as satisfying or accurate as shuffling and pulling them myself, but it's the randomness of the divine still.

I'd never do a truly serious and life-altering reading without touching the cards.

I'd never take the canned paragraph as a reading.

ClimbTheseWalls

I agree, totally canned interpretations. I read somewhere once, that the cards needed to absorb your energy, so a reading online could never work because it was just computerized. But honestly, I've had some pretty on the mark online readings. I have taken to assigning my own interpretations to the cards though.

The exchange reading idea interests me. How is that done??

re-pete-a

If your have enough posts or time on here the site is on the forum header.
________
FERRARI 195 S

ClimbTheseWalls

Awesome! thanks everyone!

veganzombie

I used to have a Tarot widget on my computer. I would use it occasionally, but I could never trust it. If I didn't like the answers, I could just generate a new spread that would be completely different, unlike with a real deck (where a "redo" usually gives me some of the same cards or at least cards that are telling me the same thing). Using tarot on the computer feels more like random chance instead of something meaningful to me.