Oracle v's tarot

RedEarth

Does anyone here prefer oracle decks to tarot? I suppose this will depend on your decks abit!
I have a number of oracle decks, and just one taort deck (Glastonbury tarot). The traditional looking tarot decks don't seem to have any appeal to me at all, though I do enjoy the Glastonbury tarot.

I don't know if it is from growing up in a house where tarot was 'of the devil' lol, and even though I don't think that myself, it may have influenced me away from tarot?

ANyway, I do really enjoy oracle decks, especially Dreamtime oracle. And I keep looking out for more!

Anyone else prefer oracle decks?

btw, I do realise that as I work more with the Glastonbury tarot, and come on here, the pull of tarot might overcome any subconcsious devil fears!

And I just remembered, I have won on ebay the Moon Garden tarot :)

RedEarth

Tarotphelia

I have gotten into the habit of collecting oracle decks as well as tarot. I guess I like them each for different reasons. Tarot is more traditional & difficult than oracle decks are, but deeper too. Oracle decks seem a bit lighter with more modern approaches.

I like to collect oracles to study different things with. For example, astrology is very complicated , but I would like to know more about it. If I just read books on it, my mind will tend to wander & freeze at different points. But with the visual & interactive facets of a deck of cards, it will be easier for me to learn the basics at least.

Tarotphelia

Melissa`

When I first started reading tarot a few years ago, I tended to shy away from oracle decks. I didn't know what they were.. to me they were quite foreign. I saw a few oracle decks that I was attracted to and would pick up the boxes and oooh and ahhh over them. Just up until I realized they were oracle cards and I would quickly put them back "Oh Oracle cards, bad" lol. Its rather silly I admit. It hasn't been until the last three months that I finally gave in and bought Oracle decks, three to be exact. The first were they Faeries by Froud. I quickly picked up the use with them and found them fairly easy to adapt to. Next was the Tao Oracle and the Goddess Oracle, the latter of which I haven't used yet. The Tao oracle I don't find "lighter and easier" to work with than tarot. Maybe that is just a personal opinion. In my mind it is rather deep and complex, then again that just could be because I don't know a lick about I Ching. :D

All in all I have found out that I would rather use oracle cards for self reflection and meditation than tarot cards. And I haven't used my oracle cards on anyone other than myself. Also honestly with the way I use tarot and oracle I don't believe I would rather choose one over the other..
But thats just me :)

Blessings,
Amaya

Tarotphelia

Amaya said:
The Tao oracle I don't find "lighter and easier" to work with than tarot. Maybe that is just a personal opinion. In my mind it is rather deep and complex, then again that just could be because I don't know a lick about I Ching. :D
[/B]

You are right about that- the I Ching is deep !
I was thinking more along the lines of modern oracle decks that clearly label the card for you as Love, Miracle, Soulmate, etc.

Although , I have the Holtizka I Ching deck & it still seems easier to me than tarot somehow. Tarot is kind of enigmatic - there are so many meanings for each card that change & interchange depending on context & position & which deck you might be using.

Tarotphelia

RAVENAL

oracle decks...versus tarot

Hello everyone...

Good question...oracle versus tarot...almost for me a question of Eastern versus Western...but there have been oracles/divination far longer than Tarot...Worldwide...Oracle...this ancient system appeals most to me...and that may have something to do with it being something that comes naturally... and me being better at and more experienced with it...than tarot...

I always feel somewhat removed when using any cards...like a screen or veil has been placed and there is less information available...less resonance and true essence coming thru...this is only personal experience...my connection is more direct and intimate and maybe truer without the use of tools...this is something I sense but am not yet really sure of and it's part of why I am here...

Accidentially best describes my way of arrival at Aeclectic...but
...lets be honest now...are there really any accidents...
and exploring both tarot and divination on the forum...it was divination which I felt most comfortable with...but I did question my choice to use it in ways I would need to use decks/tools...I think of my drumming and singing bowl and shamanic journey work as a form of consultation with the oracle/divination...and meditation...yes this too...even dreams...crystal work...all self reflection...but these states shift consiousness in other ways for me...as does channeling...the shift that occurs in oracle deck use/interpretation is something else again...it still seems more removed...somewhat detached for/from me...but I am finding it valuable and lots of fun...I just love the Tao Oracle...I use it often...I think it is divinely simple but not simplistic...very Zen...a teacher and a friend...The Tao...lifestyle/understanding I am in resonance with...

And my resonance and connection to animals and Native American tradition...the natural world and bloodline...has me also much attuned to the Medicine Cards...my first and for many years my only deck...well loved and used...still relevant for me today...

And a past life experience /rememberance with Tarot having very negative connotations for me has kept me at a distance from it for many years...my first deck was gifted to me in the traditional manner on my birthday some years ago by my son and his girlfriend at that time...they were reading the cards...recently I re-gifted him with my Thoth Deck...he is more ready for this than I am...

Soon after he emailed me saying he loves it and is using it often...he prefers Tarot...but of course the new girl he has been developing a relationship with has this deck on her altar...he has described her as... " a pretty advanced tantric magician and brilliant occultist..." she's got him practicing Buddhist tantric physical and breathing exercises...yoga and meditation...similiar to what he learned in martial arts years ago as a child...and she is certainly teaching him to be more himself again...he called it "a spiritual awakening"...he says I'd really like her alot...we haven't met yet...but already I certainly do like her and who knows what the future holds...

Which brings me back to divination decks and choices...YES...it has got to be divination decks...oracles...for me...favored...favorites but who knows...things are always changing...Tao...

WillieHewes

Hmmm... I only did tarot for the longest time, even made my own deck. But soon after, I guess I became bored with the formal structure of the tarot, it felt like a prison, and I did some other stuff for a while. Now I've returned to the tarot, but I'm using a deck very different from what I had before (toth) and use them in a different way (much more intuitively). This suits me better, I think. Tarot is a wonderful tool, but there are many other possible systems, and I think its interesting to try out new ones.

(Don't have any oracle decks besides the one I made, by the way, but I've worked with some.)

Silverlotus

It is a little hard for me to describe how I feel about oracle decks. I guess I sort of see them like a stamped cross stitch pattern, the design is already there you just need to add a few stitches to finish it off. Whereas tarot is like counted cross stitch, you have the pattern, the material and the floss, but you have to put it all together yourself. Does that make any sense?

So, why do I see it that way? Well, to me, oracle decks seem to be more focused on one aspect of the metaphysical, for lack of a better word. Froud's deck deals with faeries, another deck deals with angels, etc. The readings you get from them will necessarily focus on those aspects. It's hard to ignore the faeries in Froud's deck!

Tarot, on the other hand, seems more open ended to me. If you are knowledgable about Kabala, you can find that in tarot. If you use numerology, that's there for you. Colour symbolism? Yep, it's there too. You don't use any of that? Well, take a good look at the pictures, surely you will recognize archetypes from the world around you. You use all of that and more? Great, because it's all in there for you to find.

On a personal note, I also like tarot because it has a structure and system, which I find most oracle decks lack. I'm a computer programmer, with just a wee bit of engineer blood, so I like systems. :) This probably colours my perception of oracle decks though. But I wonder, perhaps system oriented people prefer tarot and more "artistic" people (again, for lack of a better term since I see myself as somewhat artistic) prefer oracle or system-less decks?

Oh, on Sunday I bought the Goddess Oracle by Hrana Janto and Amy Sophia Marashinsky. I rather like it, but I don't see myself using it in the same way as a tarot deck.

Tarotphelia

Silverlotus said:
Oh, on Sunday I bought the Goddess Oracle by Hrana Janto and Amy Sophia Marashinsky. I rather like it, but I don't see myself using it in the same way as a tarot deck. [/B]

Hmm- I bought that on Sunday too ! A couple of days before, I bought the Goddess Knowledge cards by Boulet - I liked the art a lot better. (Except for that Mayan goddess holding the moon in the oracle set - that was killer !) But the information & visualizations in the oracle set were so wonderful - I think now I will use the book from one with the cards from the other!

Completely off thread-track, I apologise.

Tarotphelia

Ravenswing

well..

I've worked with tarot and kaballah for... 30 years or so, I guess...

But recently I've become quite enamored with two oracles...

The Tao Oracle-- which I would describe in one word as Wisdom. I draw one card for the day's contemplation/direction... It's always been dead on target.

Perhaps I may expand and try a spread... but then again, why change a good thing.

The second is the Sacred Geometry Oracle... I live and breathe math-- I find that all things can be expressed on a mathematical level. And geometry is the underlying principle...

But don't expect me to abandon the Tarot... I find triangulation to make for the best of all worlds...

fly well
Raven

LittleWing

tarot is a form of oracle, isnt it??