original rider waite vs centenial edition?

Terrapin

Your question is a tough one Minotauro. I agree with what has been said about the Centennial edition probably being the better product over-all. It's really well done with its muted, although MOSTLY traditional RWS colors. The book that comes with it is basically a biography for Pamela Colman Smith. It's very good. (I like the backs by the way.)

On the other hand, since you've said that the Universal and the Radiant are too pretty--if it's pretty you want to avoid--by all means, the Original is NOT pretty. Overall. The mustardy yellows don't look as nice as the soft lemon of the Centennial. The lines are thick. The Yellow (Mustard) Lady's bird's hood in the 9 of Pentacles is completely off of the poor things head! floating! off to side of the bird's head. The Magician's face is blurred like he's vibrating with the wild energy he's calling down--unintentionally I think. Some of the folks on the card seem to have measles! But some of the things I like about the deck are the strange green color that replaces all of the blues in most other RWS decks. I find it weirdly beautiful. Also the beiges and browns really catch my eye.

So if you are looking for a deck that stays with the more traditional RWS look and colors I'd recommend the Centennial. If you want a more strange, different, less pretty, though still very moving deck (IMO) I'd go with the Original. Personally, I like the Original better.

Minotauro

Your question is a tough one Minotauro. I agree with what has been said about the Centennial edition probably being the better product over-all. It's really well done with its muted, although MOSTLY traditional RWS colors. The book that comes with it is basically a biography for Pamela Colman Smith. It's very good. (I like the backs by the way.)

On the other hand, since you've said that the Universal and the Radiant are too pretty--if it's pretty you want to avoid--by all means, the Original is NOT pretty. Overall. The mustardy yellows don't look as nice as the soft lemon of the Centennial. The lines are thick. The Yellow (Mustard) Lady's bird's hood in the 9 of Pentacles is completely off of the poor things head! floating! off to side of the bird's head. The Magician's face is blurred like he's vibrating with the wild energy he's calling down--unintentionally I think. Some of the folks on the card seem to have measles! But some of the things I like about the deck are the strange green color that replaces all of the blues in most other RWS decks. I find it weirdly beautiful. Also the beiges and browns really catch my eye.

So if you are looking for a deck that stays with the more traditional RWS look and colors I'd recommend the Centennial. If you want a more strange, different, less pretty, though still very moving deck (IMO) I'd go with the Original. Personally, I like the Original better.

I really am leaning towards the original its jsut those backs... and the extra 15 bucks of course lol D:

I also think I might buy one just like the first I ever got lol
the oher pro about the original is that it comes with the ictorial key to the tarot wich I have never read XC

Emily

Having read your comments I too think that the Original would probably be the way to go. With the Centennial you would be paying for extras you don't want. Also the deck only has a bag, not a proper box. Plus you don't like the backs, I love the backs of the Centennial, but I also like the blue lilies of the Original. It's the darkness of the artwork I'm not keen on, I like to see all the details without struggling and, for me, the Centennial fits. :)

Debra

There are two different printings of the Original. rwcarter and I compared the two. The older "original" Original printing has lovely soft colors. The new Original printing has ugly terrible colors. One is printed in Italy and the other in Belgium. I can't recall which is which. They have different pictures on the box. I'll ask Rodney to step in with his incredible memory.

*oh Rod-ney, Rod-ney*

Le Fanu

Actually the Original is quite close to the Pam B.
Very true. I was amazed when I laid the two side by side after all the terrible comments the Original had got here. People saying "don't buy! The colouring is all wrong".

I have a Pam B and the Original is very close to it in printing. So if you don't like the thick lines and blotchiness and measly faces don't buy a 1910 edition. You'll be very disappointed and only end up throwing it in the trash.

Debra... it's the Belgian one which has the gentler colours and good, unpixelated printing. There is an older one which has Temperance on the box and doesn't come in a tuck box. There's also an older 1993 one which doesn't have Temperance on the box, just the Ourubus (I'm guessing; that snake with its tail in its mouth. Can't remember the name!) I have two of these. Very nice cardstock. Ages beautifully.

Emily

I know from previous discussions on here that the Original is very close to what the first RWS looked like. I also have the older 1993 Ourubus box version - it was the deck I learned on and even back then I didn't like the colouring.

I know by comparing these two decks side by side what small details have been changed in the Centennial and yet I still prefer it over the colouring of the Original. I still think that the Original is how you expect an old tarot deck to look and be coloured but, for me, it didn't work.

I must admit though, getting the Original out, you can tell the difference in the quality of the card stock and gentle lamination from the Centennial.

rwcarter

There are two different printings of the Original. rwcarter and I compared the two. The older "original" Original printing has lovely soft colors. The new Original printing has ugly terrible colors. One is printed in Italy and the other in Belgium. I can't recall which is which. They have different pictures on the box. I'll ask Rodney to step in with his incredible memory.

*oh Rod-ney, Rod-ney*
The oldest ORW I have has Temperance on the box. I believe this is the one Debra is referring to as having "lovely soft colors." It was printed in Belgium. The second oldest doesn't have Temperance on the box, but was also printed in Belgium. I do remember comparing the ORW to my Pam B, and the images were very close if not exact. I believe the ORW doesn't have the "oops" line on the Sun.

BATS is this weekend and I won't be home until Sun night so won't be able to provide any more info until Mon or Tues.

Minotauro

hmm Im definetly leaning towards the original then with this aditional information ,I just wanted one wich wasnt so colorful lol ,and although I DO prefer the coloring on the centenial edition, the backs are imortant to me too since it is the one thing you're gonna bee seeing most often.
the wich one is a more exact reproduction is just a lovely a plus :)

the extras on the centenial arent my thing either...
maybe they'll release another " aged " rider waite eventually , I would even like to buy this 2 if the centenial wasnt so expensive.

Bhavana

Im buying a bunch of tarot stuff through amazon I live in mexico and the shiping is expensive so I wont be able to buy more stuff for a while , wich one would you prefer of those 2 and why?

Im torn between them

the centenial edition scans look darker , and I like that , but the backs I dont like at all

and the original although it has muted tones instead of darker has more of a brownish hue wich makes it look older

does somebody has both?

I love all the RW decks - except maybe I feel a tiny bit less love for the garish plaid back new version - all that blue!! However, I felt as you do about the backs on the Centennial deck when I saw them in photos online - then, once I got the deck, I changed my mind. The backs are really beautiful, and as a whole, the deck is one of the nicest.

Have you tried the Book Depository? Free shipping worldwide, I believe. Not sure if they have the Centennial but they have other RW decks.

Emily

I love all the RW decks - except maybe I feel a tiny bit less love for the garish plaid back new version - all that blue!! However, I felt as you do about the backs on the Centennial deck when I saw them in photos online - then, once I got the deck, I changed my mind. The backs are really beautiful, and as a whole, the deck is one of the nicest.

Have you tried the Book Depository? Free shipping worldwide, I believe. Not sure if they have the Centennial but they have other RW decks.

Yes, I've just ordered my back-up from there and it's a lot cheaper than Amazon.