Parlor tricks and tarot decks

sleepingcat

Ii was thinking about learning some parlor tricks to do with cards to animate my tarot readings- it's hard to keep my friend's attention some times. And I love to make things more fun and I adore stage magic- always have.

Does anyone manage card tricks or slight of hand with a tarot deck? I was struggling to do them with even a bridge deck and wondered if the tarot deck would just be too much volume.

And if you have any tricks up your sleeve- please share. : 3

or if you want to throw a brick at my head and tell me this is a bad idea- feel free too. X D I often become so excited I get blinded by my own imagination and miss out on the logical thought process.

bigcaat

sleepingcat said:
or if you want to throw a brick at my head and tell me this is a bad idea- feel free too. X D I often become so excited I get blinded by my own imagination and miss out on the logical thought process.
[Virtual brick thrown] ;) Bad idea.

Tarot readers have a tough enough time being taken seriously, don't make it worse by confusing the issue.

If you want to become a parlor trick magician, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you are committed to your readings, there's no reason for anyone to be bored. People aren't bored when they hear about themselves. They, themselves, are the most interesting topic in the world. Focus on the true meaning of the cards and they will be riveted.

If you want to do playing card tricks in another time, another venue, another reason, go for it, but imho, don't mix the two.

JMO.
Caat

sleepingcat

Point well taken.

I guess no one wants to listen to "get your butt back in school, finish your freaking degree or get a real job" or "Doin' good. Keep going"

>.o; It's just so dang hard to find people that want to be read for, then will actually pay attention. ....Really gets my goat when they ask then zone.

I think maybe I just hang out with really add* people. Or I'm a really, really boring person. *rubs chin*

*(not really add, I have one friend who is actually add, but i mean they have the self dicipline of a goldfish to sit and listen to somthing)

thinbuddha

sleepingcat said:
it's hard to keep my friend's attention some times

Before trying to mix card tricks with readings, you might think about taking a storytelling class to learn how to make the readings you are giving more animated.

Little Hare

if its hard to keep your friends attention. don't read for them. if they want to hear magical crap instead of reality (i.e. a man is going to come and sweep you off your feet and you will live happily ever after) Learn to say no to them.

NightQueen

thinbuddha said:
Before trying to mix card tricks with readings, you might think about taking a storytelling class to learn how to make the readings you are giving more animated.
I agree, Tarot to me in a sense is konwing the art of telling the story along with everything else that comes with it, in my experiences querents , in particular people who have come for their first ever reading are in awe in the images as I lay the cards out, I must say I have had complete attention from my querents, from shuffling the cards all up until the end of the reading

Umbrae

Really really bad idea.

Although it could be really cool - it will help set 'readers' back about 20 years.

The field was filled with frauds for many years, we're finally getting perhaps an upper hand - don't ruin it.

Perhaps if you read naked it would hold their attention?

"SKYCLAD Readings by Sleepingcat"

sleepingcat

No, then I'd never get their attention, Umbrae. I think some one would mistake me for an ugly folding chair and sit on me by mistake.

P.S. And, as usual I come back and really wish I'd pm my self my own posts before putting them up and not let myself do it for at least two days after the idea. I wasnt meaning to threaten anyone (wow i say this every time I start a thread) or offend anyone. I'm just not right.

Anyway, with the original reply:

It's a shame.... Illusionary magic and tarot are both misunderstood worlds.

David copperfields, penn and tellers, and john edwards love to tell people "look, here are the strings, you're so stupid for being fooled" and ruin it. It's not about the strings, it's what's presented to you.

Real Magicians work their asses off, train their bodies and practice, practice, practice. The equipment is precision engineered, timing, placement and the talent of the individuals involved all are critical. People can really be killed doing the tricks you see in vegas. they get cut, injured, but they stand up out of the box and smile until they get off stage. Ya know?

But the "true believers" pay for it, they know it's not a mystic thing capable of defying the laws of the universe, it's ....I dunno.... something else entirely. I don't know, I always knew they were tricks even when I was young, and how they were done but that made it so much cooler.

Like I think "cold reading" is really cool in it's own right. it's learning to pick up on every invisible cue, and every tiny subliminal cry that comes out of one human that *wants* to communicate with another. Non-language communication, I think it's incredible.

I dunno- I know most of my ideas seem half baked. I'm certainly never going to become a threat to the tarot world- lol. I couldn't get people to read for offline if I paid THEM.

I guess.... thinking about I just want people to let go and turn off their minds and open their heart for a minute- Magic tricks do that for me. Humans can make *magic* if they try very hard. Nothing's imposable and we have every thing we need to make it happen.

I guess I thought that if I could do tricks, they'd see that it was a skill *and* it was amazing. Obtainable and worthwhile are *not* mutually exclusive.

That's what's driving me insane. They get bored halfway though a reading because if the cards want to tell them something they don't want to hear it because of this "I cant have it, why bother?" mentality! Of course I'd get bored too on something that I considered completely irrelevant to me.

I think I'd kill for a "Does ___ like me like that?" or a "when will i get this?" because it's at least an endeavor! Nothing is imposable! It may not work the way you had in mind but the results ARE obtainable.

Instead they want their progress to entropy reaffirmed so they can contently sink down to the bottom of the sea. I'm sorry, there is no "Never changing is ok" card in tarot and there is no such trick as "ladies and gentlemen, prepare to watch and be amazed as I sit here and reach the lowest possible state of energy I can" trick.

Maybe it's not me- it's them. ...Well, I still suck. But when I get it right and I dont even know what's going on and they just dont wanna hear it- that's their problem.

But at the same time- what is it going to take to punt these people into gear! They just barely completed 1/5th of their entire life! They're too young to be this worn out! ><; Grrr!

Furnacechant

I hate to interject advice that isn't part of the thread topic...but it sounds to me like you're worrying entirely too much about other people. It's not your job to "punt them into gear". It's ultimately not even your *right*, if they don't want to BE punted into gear, and you're certainly not going to do it by means of something that anyone else would see as a method of cheating. People will live their own path at their own pace, and that's that and that's fine. If the people you're around are making you feel unwanted and boring, go find some other people---or learn to be alone happily, which might even be the easier thing and the best to start with.

sleepingcat

Yeah, I know. I'm just... I dunno. Really stupid. Universally useless.

I certainly wouldn't ever actually punt some one, or tell them what to do. Hell, I don't even tell them that yeah, it offends and hurts me when they walk away from a tarot reading after a minute and a half.

I dont know, I keep digging myself deeper.