Personal Tips On Choosing A New Deck

Maggiemay

Hi,

I am currently using the Marseilles Tarot deck.

I have been in the mood to get a new deck....different one...

I have browsed over TONS of decks ( here on AT) and my main focus is to check out the HIGH PRIESTESS & THE MOON ARCANAS of each deck.

How do you go about choosing a new deck for yourselves??

I would love to hear about it.

cardlady22

I browse the Cards section, read reviews, find the sites with the whole deck scanned so I can see the pips, and then do it all over again AT LEAST 5 times before I decide.

I have my themes that I will collect just about anything (within my artistic preferences) for oracles, but I have also tried to get a wide variety of "takes" on things for my Tarot decks.

diane drizzy

I guess color and theme would be my main focus.
The Hermit, the 2 of swords, and the 9 of swords are also part of my decision. These are my key cards.
I also like a "darker" deck, not in the way of theme but in color. like Hudes or the Tarot of The Secret Forest. I hate pastels (that's why I've never liked the Universal Waite!).
I also don't like cards are too light or fairy tale-ish, Tarot of the Moon Garden is an example. I love the theme and colors, but too fluffy for my taste.
These are just my thoughts for choice.
Seeing your "wish list" perhaps a Soprafino, Visconti or a historical type of deck may be a hint for Santa.

Maggiemay

I see.... very Interesting.

I guess I am also influenced by the colors but I never really considered the theme as such...maybe I should consider it more carefully.

Silverlyn

Well at first, it's sight for me. (Tarot Favole, Gilded, Quest all grabbed me quickly!).

But as I'm slowly reading and learning about Tarot more seriously, I'm now interested in accuracy! (RW, Morgan-Greer, Hanson-Roberts, Universal Waite).

Yet I still love Digital and Gothic Decks....

Interesting how one's views change as they're learning about a topic....

Thanks for putting up with the Page in me, AT!

Hugs!:)

Maggiemay

The symbols are fondamental that goes without saying! :)

You know what?

I am going to go check the decks you mentionned in your posts RIGHT NOW!

Thank you soooo much

Le Fanu

I always check the Death card. I know that if it is one of those touchy-feely decks that try to avoid the Death issue and substitute it with something inoffensive and smiley and cuddly, like a bunny or something (so as not to upset clients) I know Im just not going to connect with it.

I like to see a looming scythe.

Funny, I also check past threads here and get to grips with the cardstock/ lamination issue. If there is a thread which bemoans the lamination or cheap cardstock it seriously influences me. Or I know I have to make sure I get an older edition.

On the positive side (funny I should admit this!) there are some members here at AT whose tastes I kind of identify with, so I know that if they like a deck and speak highly of it, then the chances are I will too :) I bet they don´t even know who they are!

Debra

Le Fanu said:
On the positive side (funny I should admit this!) there are some members here at AT whose tastes I kind of identify with, so I know that if they like a deck and speak highly of it, then the chances are I will too :) I bet they don´t even know who they are!

Who? Who?

That would be a great topic for a thread, Le Fanu! "AT members who influence my deck preference" LOL

AJ

I've sold/traded/given at least as many decks as I currently own.

My two top criteria are
is it cheap
is someone willing to trade with me
:)

Because it didn't take me long to realize I'll never be able to have a valid opinion about a deck until I've used it. So take pot luck and surprise yourself.

And did I say I love trading decks with AT members?

Maggiemay

Wow ! It's great to hear what you all have to say.

Le Fanu : Good point about the cardstock/lamination

BTW They actually put little cutsie rabbits instead of death??? LOL

and Don't worry A.J. : I know where who to turn to if I ever want to trade a deck!!!!!!!!

But for right now, I will be honest, I would have a hard time using a deck that belonged to someone else before me... I don't know if I am wrong about that....but still, it would kinda make me feel funny.... :(

:)