Phone Tarot/Psychic Woes

Apollonia

Hey all! Recently I have started working, for the first time, at a psychic phone line as a Clairsentient and tarot reader. As much as I do love the flexibility and the comfort at home, I do find it a little constraining that callers expect you to have snap-instant answers for every question.

I do know the answers are there in the cards, but sometimes I really do wish I could just have a few good seconds to just look at the cards properly, patterns and energies (especially with larger readings), but they're quite impatient. I do know they pay for the time, but at the same time, just some time for me to truly observe a layout can make the reading more rich and insightful!

Has any phone/internet tarot readers/psychics ever been through this?
Yes, I tried doing phone readings for two psychic phone lines back when I was first starting out doing readings for others. It sounded like such a great thing to be able to gain experience reading for a whole bunch of different people and get paid for it to boot.

I couldn't stand it. The minute the caller asked the question, they wanted an immediate answer and it felt like I didn't even have a nanosecond to put together a coherent reading. It just wasn't my thing and even though the callers seemed satisfied, I knew that if they had come to me on their own, without such ridiculously short time constraints, I could have given them a much, much broader and more helpful idea of what was going on with their situation, for less money.

I lasted for about three weeks. The ironic thing is that I am actually a really fast reader, but I hated having to do it with the time clock ticking down like a bomb was going to go off after five minutes.

Thoughtful

l'm not sure how other people set up their private readings. You could always advertise in local shops or newspapers, perhaps find a shop like l did. As you read for friends could they not pass your name on to other friends and family? once the ball starts rolling and you have good feedback you could be off and running.

l agree with what Metafizzypop says about using your using common sense and using authority if all else fails. This is just what l found, but I did not feel comfortable going that route.

Build up your confidence reading for family and friends if they are happy with your readings there is nothing to be worried about in reading for strangers. In fact l find the clients l have come with lots of fears about having a reading. I think they would be more nervous than you :joke: Putting them at ease first helps you also to ground.

People who want readings are curious but somehow think that you will tell them frightening things.

Barleywine

Esoteric book/gift shops often have bulletin boards where alternative practices and local events are posted. Most of those I've seen have been used for healing services, but they're open to all interests and they're free.

Holly doll

Totally! Some days are diamonds - with amazing clients, others are rocks - with angry & entitled clients - watch out for the full moon & Mercury Rx - it usually brings them out ;)...

Because clients aren't face to face, often the worst behaviour emerges, & they can quite often behave in a rude & demanding way that they probably wouldn't exhibit face to face.

I've had clients demanding guarantees that something will happen the way they think it "should", & others telling me it's THEIR money & I should do what they want; I've also had them hang up mid-sentence if they didn't answer their question fast enough. Some have told me they had to call another reader because I wasn't available when they needed me - like I'm responsible for their life & choices (little did they know I heaved a sigh of relief...)

You need a thick skin to do this kind of work :D Perhaps try smaller spreads, the Celtic Cross can be too large & swamp you if you try to speed read it... Try not to take it personally - their impatience isn't your stuff -you'll get used to it ;)

Grizabella

I haven't read all the replies but wanted to respond anyway.

Reading for the psychic lines isn't the same kind of reading we do normally. The clientele is way different for one thing so the kind of reading you do there isn't really geared for being a true Tarot reading, in my opinion. You're there to please the customer, keep them on the clock, and make money for the psychic line. They make the most money, their employees don't. Therefore, if a customer disputes your reading and won't pay, you're the one who is docked for pay you don't get. And you're pressured by the client to give them their reading very quickly and to give them free minutes on the one side and by the line you work for pressuring from the other side to keep the client on the clock for the longest time possible. In my opinion, the readers are exploited by the lines and I won't do it anymore.

Shushu

Apollonia, I know exactly how that feels to the pinpoint. I keep hearing people hear saying they last just under a month or even a couple of months max. Is that quite common? Since if I leave where I work soon, I don’t know how the reception would be.

Thoughtful and Barleywine, thank you for the ideas! I just want to ask, since I am between work, I am actually trying to find a graduate job and I do go on interviews every now and then (Thus I liked the flexibility of this work), would you still suggest setting up shop? If I get full-time work, there wouldn’t be much time left for it, though I won’t be sure when that is, either. I don’t know the industry that well either. How would a shop actually pay you, or something like that, compared to a phone line?

Holly doll, I know the pain of all that and now that you all keep reminding me, it makes me feel like quitting, I am considering it now, but I’m stuck between situations! I usually have to be reduced to five card spreads at most, and the cards just build up the more questions they ask. Though some callers are pleasant and quite chatty, we can discuss the reading or just have a deep, meaningful talk about situations..

Grizabella, I definitely think you are right, I happen to think my pay is quite low too, for the hours I spent waiting. Though it is flexible, I wonder if I read for an actual shop, if I would have a more steady, fair earning? Do you know?

Barleywine

Making a living would clearly trump reading the cards, so you would need to keep a tight rein on the volume of face-to-face readings you take on. You could do them by appointment only, at the querent's location or your own (with appropriate security measures, of course), or you could reach agreement with a local shop owner to use their space for a few hours, for example on a week-end morning or afternoon, and receive clients there. Rather than a flat rental fee, you could offer the shopkeeper a percentage cut of each payment received, and just play it by ear at first. It would be a win-win situation: the shop would see increased traffic and you would have a settled place to conduct readings. A public place, like a park or plaza in summer, is another possibility but be sure to check vendor permitting requirements. A "cash only" policy would be best, and this should be made clear when setting up appointments. Trying to do some kind of a "walk-in" reading salon at the beginning would probably be too chancey.

Shushu

Making a living would clearly trump reading the cards, so you would need to keep a tight rein on the volume of face-to-face readings you take on. You could do them by appointment only, at the querent's location or your own (with appropriate security measures, of course), or you could reach agreement with a local shop owner to use their space for a few hours, for example on a week-end morning or afternoon, and receive clients there. Rather than a flat rental fee, you could offer the shopkeeper a percentage cut of each payment received, and just play it by ear at first. It would be a win-win situation: the shop would see increased traffic and you would have a settled place to conduct readings. A public place, like a park or plaza in summer, is another possibility but be sure to check vendor permitting requirements. A "cash only" policy would be best, and this should be made clear when setting up appointments. Trying to do some kind of a "walk-in" reading salon at the beginning would probably be too chancey.

I see, that makes it much clearer! I do have a couple of shops in mind, but they already have readers. One even asks to call a number if I wish to read for them. Do these premises usually have 'cash only'? Or should I chance it with cafes and shops that don't offer readings at all?

Holly doll

Apollonia, I know exactly how that feels to the pinpoint. I keep hearing people hear saying they last just under a month or even a couple of months max. Is that quite common? Since if I leave where I work soon, I don’t know how the reception would be.

Thoughtful and Barleywine, thank you for the ideas! I just want to ask, since I am between work, I am actually trying to find a graduate job and I do go on interviews every now and then (Thus I liked the flexibility of this work), would you still suggest setting up shop? If I get full-time work, there wouldn’t be much time left for it, though I won’t be sure when that is, either. I don’t know the industry that well either. How would a shop actually pay you, or something like that, compared to a phone line?

Holly doll, I know the pain of all that and now that you all keep reminding me, it makes me feel like quitting, I am considering it now, but I’m stuck between situations! I usually have to be reduced to five card spreads at most, and the cards just build up the more questions they ask. Though some callers are pleasant and quite chatty, we can discuss the reading or just have a deep, meaningful talk about situations..

Grizabella, I definitely think you are right, I happen to think my pay is quite low too, for the hours I spent waiting. Though it is flexible, I wonder if I read for an actual shop, if I would have a more steady, fair earning? Do you know?

I didn't mean to make you feel bad - sorry if that was the case...

It's a great learning curve for standing in your truth when others have a different agenda than the one you see in the cards ;). I start with 3 cards & build from there, you still get the info. you need & you're not spending time constructing a layout. All some clients need is a listening ear rather than the reading & that can ease the pressure. Try not to take others attitudes to heart, it's them - not you *warm smile*

I've worked in shops as well, you could leave flyers with them, also leave flyers in laundromats & gyms - esp. all female gyms to start with. Large chain coffee shops sometimes have a noticeboard too... I got offered a space in a female gym & that was an interesting experience.

Putting ads in the paper can sometimes leave you open for the flakes & prank calls, & those who want free info. right away.

Holly doll

I see, that makes it much clearer! I do have a couple of shops in mind, but they already have readers. One even asks to call a number if I wish to read for them. Do these premises usually have 'cash only'? Or should I chance it with cafes and shops that don't offer readings at all?

Have yourself put on the their lists for when other readers become ill or go on holidays & leave them some cards or flyers; most have a table or stand advertising different services.

Most of these shops are quite happy to work cash only, although some offer direct debit & give you the funds afterwards.