Photographic RWS

Emily

Hi LB,

Would you have the Moon and the Empress at hand to scan? I'd love to see how they've reproduced those cards. Is there nudity, like the Star or the World?

I had to go out so I've only just got a chance to see the scans you did earlier - I must admit (my taste must be going) but I'm still not de-enabled lol - I've seen worse photo-decks than this - the Forest Folklaw being one of them. But I think I'd probably cut the keywords off . :)

Cerulean

Is the Eight of Swords a man in a dress and wig?

There's a limit to my delights of men in tights, but maybe the jpg image is too small...oh my, oh my...

Does someone for a moment or two think this is a novelty that may de-anable photo fans...or inspire a revolt against photographic portrait tarots? Ouch, let me check the one that is supposed to have U.S. format and is 'on-it's-way...thanks kindly for the scans.

Do forgive me for commenting on scans when I've not seen this up close yet.

Cerulean

gregory

The words are dire, I agree. But I too have seen worse photodecks. And there is the Charmed, for those who want to see something really awful - even worse than the movie Harry Potter !

Little Baron

Cerulean said:
There's a limit to my delights of men in tights, but maybe the jpg image is too small...oh my, oh my...

The '8 of Swords' is a woman. Whether she is wearing a wig, I just couldn't say :D

LB

Little Baron

Here you go, Emily

LB

Attachments

• empress and moon.jpg
    empress and moon.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 90
  • star and world.jpg
    star and world.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 88
  • extra treat.jpg
    extra treat.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 84

Little Baron

Almost forgot .. as I am sure someone will ask at some point.

LB

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 90

Cerulean

The backs are pretty...what do you think of keywords on card?

Justice has keywords Legal ___ and documents. Police.

Thank you for your scans and commentary. Sometimes the most interesting decks aren't the most beautiful because it might require an adjustment to thinking.

Maybe this will be my great adjustment this month!

Cerulean

Tarotwytch

I really like the RWS images and symbolism but I do sometimes cringe at the artwork so I thought this might be an interesting deck but it is such a shame about the words on the bottom of the cards. I can't really see a way to cut them off without spoiling the balance of the cards. I also like the backs of them, some backs are so boring and uninteresting. Has anyone listened to the DVD yet? Is it worth listening to?

Little Baron

I watched a little of the DVD. The woman pretty much talks at about 100 miles an hour, without taking a breath. There are some interesting pointers - dispelling all of the 'old wives tales' about sleeping with the cards, keeping them in a wooden box etc etc.

I feel that I have given this deck a bit of a tough ride.

It is not really my cup of tea, but as I was scanning the cards for here this afternoon, I was impressed by how alike the illustrations were to the originals, in terms of scale and detail - in some of the cards, anyway. I imagine that it was not a project that had a high budget, and if that is true, then I would say they did a good enough job. There are a few cards that I actually think are ok and the colouring of them all, in general is good.

The other thing that I liked about this version was that the there was an equal balance of men and women in the courts. All of the pages are female. Also, I read so many times that people become frustrated with decks that have 'perfect' people and perfect bodies in it. Without being rude and saying the models in this deck are not attractive, I would go as far as saying that they look to be 'average people', so if you want a deck with down to earth characters, then that is one of the 'pro's' of this deck. Having said that, the deck does not comprise people of different ethnic origin or skin colour, which is a shame.

But yes, I could do without the keywords. I think it would be difficult to cut them away since they take up so much of the card. However, I wonder if it would be possible to cover them up or paint over them. As a training deck, you could then write in whatever you wanted since there seems to be enough space.

Just wanted to give the deck a bit more of a fair chance. As you said, Gregory, there are many worse decks out there and this one has hit some of it's goals and targets. On that subject, is there any samples of the Charmed deck on the web as I searched and couldn't find any more than the box. Would like to see it now, since I am curious.

LB

gregory

That's what I thought - it is cleverly done, if a bit off (heads a bit crudely attached) in patches. And I do regret the white tunics in place of naughty bits :D.

For your reward in hell, I will scan some charmed cards here tomorrow. I thought Tarotgarden had some up - I told Jeannette about the horrid thing, and as I recall she got one for the database. (ed. Yes - she does. It isn't that ugly, it just has absolutely nothing to do with anything IMHO.) It does come with a plastic purple pendant to tell your future with.... such a joy ! NOT. :p

If you want more cards after seeing Jeannette's - just ask.....