pip terminology confusion

Mallah

So ALL Tarot minor arcana, regardless of deck, are pips? Not including the courts, and not including decks that show NO suit symbols... (for example, the Vampyres deck that says 6 of knives but shows none).

TdM has pips, and so does RWS?

It's interesting the difference in nomenclature that people have. No wonder I've been confused.

Kissa

Pip cards = cards numbered 1 aka Ace to 10.
Regardless of the deck (RWS, Marseille, Thoth..)
Regardless of the nature of deck illustrations.

Traditional 78-card Tarot deck = 22 majors + 56 minors (16 court cards + 40 pips)

K

Carla

I've never had any trouble understanding what people mean when they use their own terminology and have never given this issue much thought. But usually, I don't use the word 'pip' unless it's a non-scenic card. I call them 'pips only' cards. For me, 'pips only' would be decks like Courtney Davis Celtic Tarot, TdM, Thoth, etc. In decks that have full scenes for every card, like Anna K Tarot, RWS, and so on, I tend to refer to those cards as 'minors'. I don't personally tend to call them pip cards, particularly in those peculiar decks where there aren't even the right number of objects, like Arthurian or Gaian Tarot.

nisaba

But usually, I don't use the word 'pip' unless it's a non-scenic card. I call them 'pips only' cards. For me, 'pips only' would be decks like Courtney Davis Celtic Tarot, TdM, Thoth, etc. In decks that have full scenes for every card, like Anna K Tarot, RWS, and so on, I tend to refer to those cards as 'minors'.

Whereas, to me a Tarot deck, any Tarot deck, has the Major Arcana and the Minor Arcana, and hte Minor Arcana is divided into Court Cards and Pip Cards.

Mallah

Makes total sense....

tarotbear

Hal .... you're a real pip ..... :D

Mallah

Takes one to know one, TB

Carla

Whereas, to me a Tarot deck, any Tarot deck, has the Major Arcana and the Minor Arcana, and hte Minor Arcana is divided into Court Cards and Pip Cards.

Agreed, it's just my way of saying 'non-scenic minor pip cards' I shorten to 'pip card', and scenic minors I call 'minors' or 'minor suit card'. LOL I didn't think was confusing until I started trying to actually think about it.

Le Fanu

This thread is going to end up such an ovewhelmingly confusing mess :D But I might as well add to it...

I am guilty of misleading!

I use scenic/illustrated and non-scenic/unillustrated interchangably. In my mind they are the same.

Scenic/illustrated are like the RWS, with definite scenes
Non-scenic/unillustrated are with no scenes.

If they're historic decks I refer to "pips" for the Minors as it is pre-RWS. I don't talk about "pips" for modern decks that just have the suit symbols. Pips for me is very much tied in with historic decks.

Those moody Minors or semi-illustrated ones (Gill etc) are in a category I think of as "like Thoth". These are those decks that have suit symbols but no scenes with humans and stuff but with mood and atmosphere and clouds etc. The Liber T for example has got a system "like the Thoth" and made them scenic/illustrated.

That's my system and I'm sticking with it!